Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Listening to lessons everyday

Do you download and listen to that day's lesson everyday?

Yes
43%
No
35%
Download all the lessons and listen in bulk?
22%

Total votes: 23

Keith
Expert on Something

Listening to lessons everyday

Postby Keith » May 23rd, 2008 5:34 am

여러분.... Just a quick question!

How do use this site?
We want to know, what percent of our listeners download and listen to that day's lesson everyday?
Last edited by Keith on May 23rd, 2008 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 23rd, 2008 5:43 am

third option of letting them pile up and listening in bulk? no? :wink:

Get 40% OFF
Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 23rd, 2008 6:14 am

I like that ;) Added!

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 23rd, 2008 6:26 am

I should specify that now I download and listen on the day the lesson comes out. But when I started, I was trying to catch up to the current releases, so I was listening to archived lessons as fast as I could until I caught up.

I wonder, what would someone do just starting out when KoreanClass is in its 4th year, for example? The person could jump in on Newbie lessons, but would have to start from Beginner S1 Lesson 1, wouldn't they?
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 23rd, 2008 6:29 am

Erm, sorry, I don't quite understand the question.. are you asking if I download each of the lessons on monday, tuesday, wed, thur, fri, and listen to all of them? Or are you asking if I download a particular day's lesson (e.g. monday), and listen to that same lesson every day of the week?

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 23rd, 2008 6:33 am

Sorry for being unclear! :P We want to know if you download the lessons every day and listen to each one of them :)

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 23rd, 2008 6:46 am

Bouks, great question! Actually, that's exactly what the Seasons are for :) Beginner is a broad term, but someone JUST starting to learn Korean should probably start at Beginner S1, and/or Newbie S1. But at some point, we'll probably make a new starting point. And that can be Season 13!

But for the majority of people who have some sort of background in Korean, most of the Beginner or Newbie series can start with at the start of most seasons.

We have the "Where to start" And there we explain all of our seasons :) But thinking about it now, with 13 seasons, that explanation can get pretty long! :P

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 23rd, 2008 8:31 pm

Thank you for the explanation, Keith! It would be nice to have a new starting point every so often. It kind of bothered me when I joined KClass, and was studying the early lessons that were old for everyone else, so I didn't feel I was "current" with what everyone else was doing. Once lessons get old, no one really posts comments on them anymore, so I felt lost and alone in a virtual stack of old, dusty books :wink:

I kind of have the same concern if I go back to JapanesePod101. I would probably not be able to study the newest lessons, where you get to interact with members closer to real time. Unless the staff doesn't mind members posting comments on lessons they haven't really studied...
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » May 23rd, 2008 10:30 pm

Keith! :wink:

I do the newbie/beginner and Hyunwoo Sun blog for now! :twisted:

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 24th, 2008 6:13 am

without fear of being called a KC101 fanboy I actually listen to every single podcast - at least a couple times. It's not that Keith rocks my socks or anything, but I listen first for comprehension (all levels - even newbie) and then a couple of days/weeks/months later I relisten for review and comprehension check. I always make sure that when they break down the word/vocab/phrase that I speak along with them for speaking practice. Then, I make it a point to use at least one point from every listen next time I meet with friends. I'm always alarmed at how much harder it is to recall a new phrase/idea when I'm with friends all comfortable-like, but once I use it (incorrectly or otherwise) it sticks for good.

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » May 24th, 2008 7:12 am

Yeah, i totally agree with Bouks! I felt so left-behind when I was doing the old lessons, and sometimes when I ask questions in the comments, I don't get a reply cos everybody has moved on already. It's much nicer to listen to a lesson fresh from the oven, and you feel right there where the action is :D

But since there is only 1 lesson of each series a week, some days I don't download the lessons. I'm at beginner level, so I listen to the newbie and beginner series, and usually the audio blog even though I don't understand much. The intermediate is too difficult for me now, and I find I don't benefit as much, it actually makes me frustrated, like there's too much new information and I can't absorb it all. So I plan to continue with the beginner till I think I'm ready to move on to intermediate. Many times I wish KC101 had a huge bank of lessons (like Chinese pod), so I can do one beginner lesson a day, and not wait for the next week to come! :)

But I think the team is doing a great job. Just that we listeners always want more, more, more! :D

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 24th, 2008 1:25 pm

every few days i will download the lessons and listen to them. i don't always listen to the beginner or newbie lessons right away, but if i've listened to everything else i have on my itunes, i ususally give those a listen too. i have almost every lesson on my itunes! i've listened to them a few times. the new advanced lesson i've listened to probably 7 times (trying to understand everything).

ekevin
New in Town

Postby ekevin » May 26th, 2008 1:37 am

I was downloading the Intermediate lesson and 현우's Audio blog each week but recently became too busy to keep up with the new lessons. This should change in a a couple of weeks when I will resume more serious study and try to catch up. I like to read and participate in the comments when I can also but unfortunately that too has been put on hold lately. I must admit though that I did start to lose interest in the lessons around Intermediate lesson 18 where I noted that 6 lines of the 18 lines of dialogue are simple reaction expressions viz: 어? 왜?뭐가?내가뭘?뭐데이트? 안돼!뭐가안돼? which may be authentic dialogue but is just tiring to listen to. Lesson 22 is similar - out of 12 lines of dialogue there are lines with 아...네, 가자, 예..예, 네, 5 lines of introductions (안녕하습니까, 민호 오빠세요, etc.) and 2 lines of useful language. I also used to enjoy the audio blog but found I lost interest in hearing about the limited experiences of a high school student.
Anyway, hope to continue more actively soon.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 26th, 2008 2:07 am

Yeah, i totally agree with Bouks! I felt so left-behind when I was doing the old lessons, and sometimes when I ask questions in the comments,

Yea, the seasons were are really great jsut for that reason. They allow a user to join in with everyone else, when they're on the same lesson :)

It's not that Keith rocks my socks or anything,

Dang.... I was hoping I did :lol:

i've listened to them a few times. the new advanced lesson i've listened to probably 7 times

That's some serious commitment! We'll have a few more of those out shortly. Just hang in there for a little bit though ;)

I must admit though that I did start to lose interest in the lessons around Intermediate lesson 18 where I noted that 6 lines of the 18 lines of dialogue are simple reaction expressions viz: 어? 왜?뭐가?내가뭘?뭐데이트? 안돼!뭐가안돼? which may be authentic dialogue but is just tiring to listen to. Lesson 22 is similar - out of 12 lines of dialogue there are lines with 아...네, 가자, 예..예, 네, 5 lines of introductions (안녕하습니까, 민호 오빠세요, etc.) and 2 lines of useful language. I also used to enjoy the audio blog but found I lost interest in hearing about the limited experiences of a high school student.

Kevin, thank you for the honest and constructive feedback! How do you feel about the commentary in the Audio Blog? Besides the dialog, how do you feel about the vocabulary and lessons presented?

I do the newbie/beginner and Hyunwoo Sun blog for now! Twisted Evil

Sindy, you can always join in with the new seasons too ;)

ekevin
New in Town

Postby ekevin » May 26th, 2008 5:32 am

How do you feel about the commentary in the Audio Blog?

This commentary is the best thing about the current audio lessons and I really appreciate the trouble someone has gone to to transcribe it. The occasional commentary during the Intermediate audio lesson (although this isn't written) is also useful and, for me, generally more interesting than the lesson dialogues themselves.

Besides the dialog, how do you feel about the vocabulary and lessons presented?

I wonder when you are going to stop printing the same simple vocabulary words over and over again. By intermediate level do we really need to have words like 피곤하다, 늦다 (Lesson 19) in a vocab list, and at supposedly advanced level - 친구, 옷, 사다, 학교, and many others (Lesson 4 Jeong Eun's audio blog)? What about all those tricky compound verbs in Korean? The hanja section is great - and the grammar points are also good with useful examples.
Two more small points:
Why do you have the Romanization in the Intermediate lessons?
You tell us in English that the audio blog is entirely in Korean :?

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”