Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

노래방~!

rooraa
Expert on Something

노래방~!

Postby rooraa » March 26th, 2008 3:36 am

I bet it would be really fun to go to one with your friends!

What's it like? Like do you just sing your heart out there and dance and eat food with your friends?

For anyone living in America, I happen to see a sign for a 노래방 Chorus Room while i was in the car and I was soo excited! Does anyone know how a 노래방 in the US is different from Korea? I really want to go to one, and I guess I'll settle for one here
T_ㅔ (did i do that right?) I wonder if they have any recent Korean songs?

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » March 26th, 2008 5:37 am

Hey Rooraa :)

a 노래방 is pretty much the same in America as it is in Korea. Just go in, and have a good time with your friends, jumping, screaming, etc. It'll be fun depending on the songs you pick and the friends you go with ;)

For the most part, 노래방 will have modern songs and music. If you live where there's a lot of 노래방's, then there chances are they'll have up to date songs. If there aren't many of them around, they can still have modern songs, but they might not as well :)

Hope you have fun, and rock out while you're there! I love 노래방!!

Join by May 6th
rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » March 29th, 2008 4:00 am

Hi hi keith!

Wha~! You make is sound like so much fun! >__< I'm so hyped up to go to one now! I have only seen one (and it's not even close to where I live), but I'll be sure to check one out soon!

Thank you for answering my question

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » March 30th, 2008 5:52 pm

Just to clarify, when i said 'modern' I meant will they have modern Korean songs?
I wasn't talking about English songs, if that's what you thought i was talking about.
ㅎㅎㅎ, I don't really listen to American songs anymore...

How much does it cost? It's per hour or per person?

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » April 1st, 2008 4:11 am

I've never been to a 노래방 in America, but I'm sure it is going to be relatively similar to Korea. They probably cater almost exclusively to a Korean audience, so I bet they will have modern Korean songs... as well as really old ones!

I can't say if they will have all the cutting edge music..

As far as cost, my limited understanding of Korean culture in America is that it is substantially more expensive. The Korean meal I ate with my folks in DC was well over 3 times what it would have cost in Seoul.

In Seoul, 노래방 charge different rates, and I think it depends on the size of your group (which determines which room you get), and or course, how *nice* the 노래방 is! But typically a group of 4-5 (and often much more) can rent a room for about 20,000원 ($20) for an hour. Usually the time gets extended an additional 10 or 15 minutes for free.

If any of you have been in America, I'd love hear what it's like.

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » April 1st, 2008 5:55 am

Thank you austinfd!

wow, three times the cost?! And I was thinking of going to that new korean restaurant that just opened.....maybe i will anyways ^^

hmm, 20$.....sounds reasonable

Thanks for all the info!!

the_haunted_boy
Expert on Something

Postby the_haunted_boy » April 5th, 2008 10:32 pm

I would love to go somewhere just to sing song after song, I like to sing. I actually think that my vocal abilities are only average, but if someone as talentless as Heidi Montag(reality tv star) is recording an album then I can sing as much as I want. :twisted:

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » April 8th, 2008 5:24 am

ㅎㅎㅎㅎ!! Rock on, the_haunted_boy. Or should I say sing on?

By no means is my singing ability any good at all but hey, it's all about having fun, am I right?

the_haunted_boy
Expert on Something

Postby the_haunted_boy » April 8th, 2008 11:53 pm

rooraa wrote:ㅎㅎㅎㅎ!! Rock on, the_haunted_boy. Or should I say sing on?

By no means is my singing ability any good at all but hey, it's all about having fun, am I right?

I can compromise by singing the vocal parts of hard rock stuff, which is my favorite part, but my brother tells me that I sound like a boy band, :( , but I really want to sound like a trained opera star and sing lead for heavy metal or techno.

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » April 9th, 2008 2:41 am

opera and techno are quite different though

Myself, I prefer pop, ballads, r&b and such

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » April 21st, 2008 3:10 am

there used to be a 노래방 here in nashville, but it closed down. luckily, i was able to go one time before that and it was a very interesting experience!

the whole place was kind of.. umm.. shady (for lack of a better word) and not very nice, but it was still awesome. they had very recent korean songs (and had new ones every week, apparently) and also some japanese songs and some american songs. it had one large room and then three smaller rooms - the room my friends and i were in was pretty big too, and there were obnoxious disco balls and flashing lights and things that you could turn on or off. it was so much fun trying to sing in korean! i can hardly wait to do it again (i know lots more songs now, hehe..) but i don't think they are going to open again, and there is not another one in the area.

i don't know about cost because we didn't have to pay (it was my friends oppa who managed the place) but i don't think that particular place was expensive.

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » April 29th, 2008 2:50 am

haha sounds like fun!

Do the songs have the people singing in them? I mean, do they have vocals? Not just instrumental music....cause I don't know korean songs THAT welll

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » April 29th, 2008 3:27 am

no it's just instrumental, but they have the lyrics up on a screen or on a t.v.
sometimes it even shows the music video in the background.

and, there's automated applause at the end! haha.. at least, the place i went did..

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » April 29th, 2008 11:39 pm

ah really? Ah shoot.
Well, it'll give me practice reading hangul XD

sherislick
New in Town

Shady 노래방

Postby sherislick » May 1st, 2008 5:57 pm

I just had to laugh when I read the post describing the 노래방 in Nashville as "shady." Living in Korea, I have been to my fair share of "shady" 노래방. Of course, there are some rather expensive, fancy ones, too, but they aren't nearly as exciting!

Oh, and as for some fun songs that are not too difficult to sing, try 이루!

Return to “Food & Entertainment (음식과 엔터테인먼트)”