9%
I learn it just to train my brain!
6%
other
21%

Total votes: 196

New in Town

Postby 512456 » June 9th, 2010 1:58 pm

Hmmm? Oh you can get a Korean girlfriend all right, you don't even need to be fluent in the language, but will just 'any' Korean girl do?

I've heard of various dating sites but I've never really joined one because I'm not that desperate to get a girlfriend, at least not at this stage. :P

They are not all dreamy-eyed souls looking for a lifetime of true love and devotion, willing to see beyond circumstance and appreciate you for your wonderful joyful personality.

I'm sure there's a soul mate out for me somewhere in this world waiting for me to find her, just like treasure hunting without hints. :P
By the way, isn't there a Korean wisdom that goes like this..."짚신도 짝이 있다" (there's someone out there for everyone)...got it from an app called Korean Wisdom for my iPod Touch.

1. A college diploma -- a doctorate is preferred but a masters will do, at very least a bachelor's -- in Korea a bachelor's is as common as a high school diploma is in many other countries.

2. Lot's of money, being successful in business or career -- many Korean parents still vehemently oppose dating/marriage with non-Koreans, however, money seems to make you look more Korean in their eyes.

These two facts may offend some people -- but sometimes the truth hurts.

For the first one, I'm still a freshman studying for a 4 year degree program called American Degree Transfer Program (ADP).
For the second one, I can't guarantee anything bout it since I'm still studying.

At least now I know the truth.

In America a shiny new Harley Davidson also works well to attract girls, it's like using a flashy lure while fishing.

Isn't that common in anywhere around the world? 8)

솔직히 말해서 이 세상에서는 '춘향전' 같은 여성들이 별로 없어요.

Can you please put it in English because this is what I get from Babelfish. "Frankly says, from this world ' Chun Hyang Jeon ' Especially there are not same women." And I don't really understand that.

What's your motivation for learning Korean?
And your answer is to get a Korean girlfriend!

Isn't that like the best motivator? :D

When I learned English, I had a hu~~~~g desire for getting Canadian girlfriend.
Alex, you just reminded of my sin. haha~~!!
Anyway.. I didn't (to be honest "couldn't") get a Canadian girlfriend (shame on me) and ALEX! You have the greatest motivation ever! You can do it!

It's not a sin, it's a great reason to push you to learn something. :D

감사합니다! Your words motivates me even more. :D

The bottom line is!
We are here to learn Korean!
So, cheers, George and Alex! and me!
Have fun learning Korean! Cool

Yes, but we're here to make friends and have fun too. :lol:

Cheers!

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 9th, 2010 6:00 pm

Alex you are very cool!

솔직히 말해서 이 세상에서는 '춘향전' 같은 여성들이 별로 없어요.

Can you please put it in English because this is what I get from Babelfish. "Frankly says, from this world ' Chun Hyang Jeon ' Especially there are not same women." And I don't really understand that.

Sound of large gong: "Kwang!"

Old master: "Frankly says, from this world ' Chun Hyang Jeon ' Especially there are not same women."

Student: "Master, who is Frank Lee?"

Old master: "No, not 'Frank Ree,' Grasshopper, 'FRANKLY.' You know, 'honestly.'"

Student: "Oh...now I see. Then may I ask the meaning of the proverb?"

Old master: "Grasshopper, when you understand this you will have learned."

Student: "But Master, how can one learn without an explanation?"

Old master: "Oh brother :roll: Ok, I will spell it out for you Grasshopper:

'Honestly speaking, in this world there are very few women like Choon Hyang Jeon.'

Student: "Master, who is Choon Hyang Jeon?"

Old master: "Ha ha ha! You ask too many questions Grasshopper. Now go... ...bring me some water and a couple of 타이레놀."

Get 40% OFF
meanders27
New in Town

Postby meanders27 » June 12th, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm learning Korean because I have become a huge k-drama fan. This is something very unexpected in my life. I knew nothing about Asian dramas and never really thought about Korea. But while on a trip to Japan 4 years ago and I decided to check out their TV shows. The dramas were so intriguing. After getting back to the US I stumbled upon one on youtube that had subtitles. Soon I was watching dramas from various Asian countries. I watch Korean ones more than any other so I decided to learn Korean.
From watching dramas I had already picked up a bunch of vocabulary and was used to the sound and flow of Korean which has definitely helped me to learn it. Now every time I hear a new word/phrase that I had just learned, I get really excited. My goal is to get good enough to be able to help translate the dramas.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 12th, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi Meanders27 :D

What a great goal!

What is it you like best about k-drama? Which ones have you seen so far?

I love k-drama too. People often say "it's the little things that count," and that idiom certainly finds it's mark in k-drama, where the struggle to find a job, keep a job, keep the boss happy, keep one's mother/father happy, impress a girl/guy, or just pay one's bills and keep the family together can seem like a life or death struggle. I think people everywhere can relate to these things. I like way k-dramas contrast and compliment character personalities, playing one off against the other; in a good k-drama I fall so deeply attached to the characters I feel as if I know them. Although I am often relieved to finally get some conclusion after 20..30..40+ hours of viewing, I am also sad to see it end because it's like saying good-bye to all my new friends.

George - fellow student

timandyou
Expert on Something

It's very effective but don't be addicted!

Postby timandyou » June 14th, 2010 1:14 am

Hello everyone.

I reallydo agree that watching Korean movies and dramas can really help you learn Korean but, but! don't be addicted by them.
Korean dramas are like... like... chocolates... they are delicious and good but... not good for your body at last.
Korean dramas good for learning Korean and entertaining yourself but, if you too much enjoy watching them you wouldn't feel to go out and meet real Korean friends.

The most effective way of learning any language is to meet a native person and have converstion face to face. Build social life and use it as much as you can.

Don't be offensive by my comment please.
I also love to watch movies and dramas.
Ah~~ when I learned English, I watched 'Friends' all the time and still love that program.

everyone, I know you guys do your best to learn Korean.
cheers,
By the way, Go Go Korea soccer team~~!!!
8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 15th, 2010 8:20 am

Tim,

By nature I am an offensive person, but in regard to your comments I am not the least bit 'offended.' 저는 원래 역겨운 사람이지만 당신이 하신 말씀 때문에 제 기분을 상한 일이 전혀 없어요. :wink:

K-drama may be an addictive waste of time to Koreans but to those of us learning Korean it is an invaluable study tool. I use DVDs so I can stop the action at any time and go back over some scenes as many times as I like to catch words that I may have missed. I cannot do this will live conversation.

I can study Korean anytime using drama. With my schedule I find it hard to find a Korean conversation partner at 1:00 AM after I get home from work.

Of course live conversation is a great learning tool, but one must first acquire the basic phrases and vocabulary in order to have that conversation. Everyone says they will teach you but almost no one is willing to be a teacher. The other problem with 'going out and meeting real Koreans' is that you will find a very limited range of conversation in casual social meetings.

Four kinds of meetings:

1. At a school - this is a good place to meet Koreans, make friends, and perhaps agree to meet outside school for other fun activities. The drawback, at least here in the US, is that more than half of the Koreans you meet will have been born here and many prefer English conversation over Korean. Many don't speak Korean well at all.

2. At a Korean church - this is also a great place to meet Koreans but the conversation will often revolve around church activities. If you become a regular member then you will usually find plenty of opportunity to join in these activities. However, you will find that these people are usually very busy with their own lives and may not have a lot of time for you; after the church service they are often in a hurry to go home. Among the young people you will also find many do not speak Korean well and have little interest in Korea.

3. At a Korean business - well, the word 'business' should tell you that these folks are working to earn money. They are not there to become friends with you or be entertained by your excellent Korean skills. If you are not buying some product or service your status of 'welcome guest' will soon be worn out. Not to mention the fact that your conversations there will be limited to dealing with that product of service, whether it be buying clothes or ordering food.

4. The chance meeting - At the beach or park or some other public place you may find yourself standing in line next to some Koreans, or one may ask you to take their family picture at the rim of the Grand Canyon. You may hear some Korean, or just have a good eye for singling Koreans out from other Asians; in this case you can ask "한국분이세요?" (Are you Korean?), and when they answer something like "네. 어덯게 아셨어요?" (Yes! How did you know?) you can start in with the standard greetings. Of course they might also NOT be Korean.

Upon the initial conversation you will have to deal with 10-15 minutes of conversation that will always be the same, OVER and OVER again, whenever you, a "foreigner," meet a Korean:

You: (in Korean) 'Salutations, I'm glad to meet you. My name is ~"
The Korean: (in Korean) 'Your Korean speaking is excellent!' (they say this no matter how bad your Korean is)

Next there will be 20 questions related to how you learned Korean, why you study Korean, is your wife Korean, were you in the army, have you ever lived in Korea, how long did you live in Korea, etc.etc. until their curiosity is satisfied. This type of meeting is only fun the first few times, but after about 200 times believe me it becomes tiresome, especially if you are looking to practice more advanced conversation with a variety of subject matter.

In a group of Koreans there will always be some that just cannot seem to speak Korean to a non-Korean face no matter how fluently you speak Korean to them. They will naturally try to speak English to you. Some are just happy to have a chance to practice English and others are trying to be polite, and make you, the listener, feel comfortable. In any case don't be offended. Also, be sure to compliment them on their English. I know that in the US we native English speakers don't normally compliment foreigners on their English, but it means a lot to them. Anyway, I've reached the point where at first meetings when Koreans insist on speaking English to me (even though I am speaking fluent Korean to them) I say '죄송하지만 저는 독일사람이라서 영어를 조금밖에 못 해요.' (Please excuse me, being that I'm German I only speak a little English). So far I have yet to have any German speaking Koreans call my bluff --but I suppose I had better learn some basic German just in case. Sory, weil ich Deutscher bin ich spreche nur ein wenig Englisch...ㅋㅋㅋ

timandyou
Expert on Something

Thanks George~~

Postby timandyou » June 16th, 2010 12:46 am

:)
Hey man, thanks!

I know you wouldn't be offensived by my comment.
About four places you mentioned of...
I really, personally, agree with you; especially #2.
When I tried to learn my English first in Canada, I couldn't speak it at all.
But... but.. my church in Canada really helped me out.
Throughout my church, I have met so many good people and have built even personal relationship I've always dreamed of.
My church logo is "Passion for God and Compassion for People"
Isn't it nice?

Anyway... thanks for sharing our insight George.
You are really helpfu~~~~l!
best,

Tim 8)

dlee2468998
New in Town

Postby dlee2468998 » June 22nd, 2011 2:47 am

lol it has been a year since this thread was last posted in? Well, along comes new-kc101 student to perform resuscitation o.o
I would have ticked off two choices: Korean pop culture and liking the sound of the language. By nationality, I am mostly Chinese, somewhat Indonesian, and a tiny tiny bit German. At age two, I was as fluent in Mandarin as a two-year-old gets, but that went away by about age five. I always felt guilty about that and wanted to re-learn it when I could. Korea was never even on my radar until about July last year, when my brother and friend simultaneously introduced me to Kpop (this notwithstanding the fact that my mother has been obsessed with k-dramas for a long time now). I started following the variety show Invincible Youth and watching videos of SNSD. This was all lovely for a while until I got to an episode of IY in which Gu Hara started making puns, and the subtitles I used didn't explain them.
Me: "o.o why are they laughing...GAH MUST LEARN KOREAN."
^ therein lay my first motivation, but I couldn't do much because the East Asian font files weren't installed on my computer, which is from school, so I can't do anything on it without administrative privileges. So I had to wait until I got enrolled in my Mandarin course in September. In the meantime, I learned words like 사랑해, 나, 너 and actually was able to figure out the object particle 을/를 by myself (which I confirmed later). Finally my school's IT department remote-controlled my computer and installed the files for me. That night, giddy with excitement, I Googled "korean alphabet" and had mastered Hangul two days later. Now I knew how everything sounded, which only gave me more motivation to find out what it all meant. Especially since I now had the ability to type it into Google Translate or Google search it directly.
My last bit of motivation comes from my friend who has taken Japanese courses and is learning Korean in the same way that I am, through various Internet resources. Whenever we get together, we share vocabulary and grammar that we've learned, and we also like to geek out about the similarities between Japanese, Mandarin, and Korean.
I am not as obsessed with Kpop as I used to be, but 한국어 continues to capture my attention. I love the feeling of listening to a song and realizing that I understand an entire phrase. Even if I do have a brain-lag of about five seconds.

sarahadam5390
New in Town

Re: What's your motivation to learn Korean?

Postby sarahadam5390 » December 9th, 2012 2:20 am

My husband and I have been looking for a job and an Apartment and the only one's we have found are in the Asian community part of town. (I do not know why they section themselves or what not but everything is grouped here in Washington its a little annoying) So I want to try my best to learn Korean (the signs look like they are written in korean here) I also love the culture and language. There are many aspects as to why I want to learn Korean, at first I wanted to learn japanese but then I fell in love with the korean culture and way of life. My love has been through movies though, I have never been to Korea but I do know people who have been and a friend that speaks Korean (he used to sponsor Korean students to come to america and was a host family when I was in high school) It would also be nice to understand the movies, music, and tv shows without having to look at or look up lyrics or subtitles.

Plus learning a new language is mentally stimulating and fun, I enjoy it.

burappinoitoko1209
New in Town

Postby burappinoitoko1209 » December 14th, 2012 1:08 pm

I used to live and study in Japan, and made a lot of Korean friends. I also had a Korean room mate and one point, so I learned to appreciate the culture. I have also studied a bit Chinese, and I'm interested in Eastern Asian culture, so Korean fits the bill perfectly 8)

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » December 19th, 2012 9:48 am

Hi sarahadam,

Thanks for having interesting learning Korean with KoreanClass101.com.
You'd like to use it what you've known or learned to your Korean roommate.
That is a great chance to practice it.
Hope you enjoy learning Korean.

Anne,
Team KoreanClass101.com

tar147355
New in Town

Postby tar147355 » July 4th, 2013 2:52 pm

Hello everybody! I study in the teachers training university of Russia, on the faculty of foreign languages. I`ve just finished my first year there and found out, that our group is offered only 2 "second" languages (the "first" is, of course, English) for choice to study the next year: German (?!) and Korean (?!). I`m inclining to choose Korean, but I know nothing about Korean culture, history e. t. c. Hope, talking to fans of Korea and Korean people (and reading manhwa :lol: ) will help me to fall in love with this country and study the language in my university with pleasure and excellent marks.

sashattack
New in Town

Postby sashattack » July 7th, 2013 11:48 pm

I'm learning for my first boss and current mentor to surprise her. It's just an added bonus that I've wanted to learn an Asian language for awhile now and I love the food and dramas! I'm such a newb the difference in consonant sounds still confuse me like in ㄱ and ㅋ... If you guys have any suggestions let me know and so excited to be learning!

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » July 9th, 2013 1:50 pm

sashattack wrote:I'm learning for my first boss and current mentor to surprise her. It's just an added bonus that I've wanted to learn an Asian language for awhile now and I love the food and dramas! I'm such a newb the difference in consonant sounds still confuse me like in ㄱ and ㅋ... If you guys have any suggestions let me know and so excited to be learning!

That is amazing to hear Sashattack!:D

All combinations would bring such a passion to your Korean learning and hopefully hold you until you master!:)

Asian food is quite different from western I must say as the main meal is based on rice instead of bread.

Do you like Korean food as well? It is a bit spicy!;)

For the consonants, it is very much natural and we would recommend the hana hana hangul series on our absolute beginner video lessons.

This series holds very simple but important parts on grammatical sense of Korean.

I think you could definitely make most out of it.

You could simply click browse lessons > video lessons > absolute beginner > hana hana hangul!;)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby kc101com » July 9th, 2013 2:17 pm

tar147355 wrote:Hello everybody! I study in the teachers training university of Russia, on the faculty of foreign languages. I`ve just finished my first year there and found out, that our group is offered only 2 "second" languages (the "first" is, of course, English) for choice to study the next year: German (?!) and Korean (?!). I`m inclining to choose Korean, but I know nothing about Korean culture, history e. t. c. Hope, talking to fans of Korea and Korean people (and reading manhwa :lol: ) will help me to fall in love with this country and study the language in my university with pleasure and excellent marks.

Hey tar,

That is quite interesting and I am very much happy to hear that University of Russia provides German and Korean instead of Japanese or Chinese!:D

If you are looking for a bit of familiarity before jumping in, you are definitely in the right place.

I think you have well-recognized that we provide you the premium memebership for 7-days for free.

So you could basically explore any parts of our videos and lessons and we do definitely have Korean cultural episodes on introduction section of our lessons!

Give yourself a try and let us know how you see the Korean culture ;)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”