Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How Old Are You?

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 3rd, 2008 2:41 am

Chris, Jaesun...I thought I was the oldest, but it looks like I'm not! Fight the ajeossi title! No ajeossis here. No ajummas either. I am pushing forty, in Korean or US time...and anyone who calls me Ajumma will be attacked by an enraged woman wielding strong, heavy flamenco shoes with nails in the soles. You have been warned 8)

What are the titles again, that you'd see in Dae Jang Geum, for instance? The ladies are Pu-in, and the gentlemen are Na-ri, or something sounding like that. Much better, yes? :lol:
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » May 10th, 2008 1:36 am

[quote="Bouks"]I am pushing forty, in Korean or US time...and anyone who calls me Ajumma will be attacked by an enraged woman wielding strong, heavy flamenco shoes with nails in the soles. You have been warned 8) [quote]

ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ!! I just have to say, you're a riot, bouks! XD

or should I say 애기씨 :wink:

Get 40% OFF
Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 10th, 2008 3:30 am

하하하하! Rooraa, I'm glad someone thinks so :wink: :lol:

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:

whistleblower
Been Around a Bit

Postby whistleblower » August 12th, 2008 7:38 am

안녕하세요 여라분. 저는 스물아헙 살 입니다. 반가와요. 제 생일이 11월 2일에 입니다.

Hi all. I am 29. Nice to meet you. My birthday is 2nd November.

JangYong
New in Town

Postby JangYong » September 23rd, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi guys! Im new to KoreanClass101! I really love this site alot and I'm so going to subscribe to this. My name is Zhang Yong! You can simply pronounce it as Jang Yong. And yes, I'm a Chinese but I'm not from JongGuk. Anyone wanna guess where i'm from? xD I just turned 20 one and a half month ago~ Hope to know more people from KC101.com!

manasu pangabsubnida!

P.S. Sorry for the weird romanization ^^;;

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Postby usakorjb03 » September 23rd, 2008 1:45 pm

i'm 23 years old and my mom and sometimes other older korean women like to joke around with me and call me ajeossi. and even some of my korean friends too call me that for fun. ah..i'm so young yet so old lol j/k but it's cool tho i kno they just joking. i hope that I don't see anything in the news about you killing someone bouks.
제 이름은 문신이에요.

pucca246
Been Around a Bit

Postby pucca246 » September 23rd, 2008 8:17 pm

:shock: OMG!"!!! :shock:

:? You are all making me feel ancient!!!

I am a mere 48 years young - (I won't go into my korean age that would be depressing!) and I am certainly not an Ajuma!! - even though I am married and over 40 - do not have tattood eyebrows or have short permed hair!

I did find this on another site

"Ajuma: Technically, you are an ajuma as soon as you get married, but some younger wives may be insulted at being called this. Typically, an ajuma is an older woman (at least 40, married or not) who has short permed hair. Most of the time, they also have tattooed eyebrows and are fond of wearing visors. Ajumas have jokingly been called ` The Third Sex` because you can't really tell if they are men or women."

So .. If anyone has a "kinder" way odf addressing me - please let me know!

I always say I am 21 at heart and as the saying goes - Growing up is optional but growing old is manditory! :D

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » September 24th, 2008 12:06 am

[quotei hope that I don't see anything in the news about you killing someone bouks.[/quote]

Heh heh...well it hasn't been necessary so far, but I keep the flamenco shoes handy just in case :twisted: :lol:

Pucca - Good for you, that you continue to study a language after many people would have said they are "too old"! No such thing. Go, you!

The secret for earning a "kind title" is to endear yourself to young Korean men who will then call you "Nuna" 8) :wink:

pucca246
Been Around a Bit

Postby pucca246 » September 24th, 2008 11:21 am

[quote
The secret for earning a "kind title" is to endear yourself to young Korean men who will then call you "Nuna" 8) :wink:[/quote]

Hehe, I am always nice to all the young Korean men I talk to :wink: - one calls me his 2nd mum, but most just call me Pamela.

:? I did see some of those scary Ajumas - with sun visors and shell suits/flowery blouses - and lots of stalls selling the "the uniform" but there were also some very elegant women too!

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » September 25th, 2008 9:17 pm

pucca246 wrote::? I did see some of those scary Ajumas - with sun visors and shell suits/flowery blouses - and lots of stalls selling the "the uniform" but there were also some very elegant women too!

It is kind of an unkind stereotype...

ash4jae
New in Town

Postby ash4jae » February 20th, 2009 5:27 pm

Kinda ignoring the above posts here :( sorry, I just haven't read them hehehe

I said on another forum I'm 14 cos I thought "hey! 2 months till my birthday! Does it matter?" But I am actually 13... buuut~ I think I'd be 15 in Korea? :S Wow.

FeeBee
New in Town

Postby FeeBee » April 9th, 2009 4:40 pm

I am 18~
Korean age... I believe 19...?
*sigh*... :cry:
B-day: Sep 26, 1990.

jeroen888
Been Around a Bit

Postby jeroen888 » April 20th, 2009 11:46 pm

저는 지금은 스무살이에요. 다움 6월 23일에 한국에서 생일 파티를 할 거예요 :).
I'm currently 20 years old. I'll have my birthday party next June 23rd, in Korea :D. Of course you're all invited
Last edited by jeroen888 on April 21st, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » April 21st, 2009 12:00 am

생일 미리 축하해요 :)

nkoroi
New in Town

pretty brave people

Postby nkoroi » June 17th, 2009 4:59 pm

wow!! This site has the whole age spectrum. I think we already qualify as a society now. My age is 19. Korean would be 20 or 21. Does anyone know the legal age of beig able to drink in Korea? :)

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”