Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Is it possible to view korean tv channels live overseas?

cdphy
New in Town

Is it possible to view korean tv channels live overseas?

Postby cdphy » November 20th, 2008 3:12 am

Does anyone know whether we are able to view korean TV channels like SBS, MBC, KBS etc live overseas? The only one available here via cable TV is KBSworld and Arirang ㅠㅠRecently I went to a korean 'pub' in Singapore and realise they are able to receive live Korean TV channels on their TV. And I saw [Anyband] while they are selecting the channels [Anyband] has sort of a similar resemblance to korea's phone network [Anycall]?

Wonder if it is some network provider via internet TV or something for overseas Korean expatriates? Does anyone know? ^^

lukek
Been Around a Bit

Postby lukek » November 20th, 2008 5:32 am

I am not sure about live TV, but here is a little info on some ways to view Korean media.

http://www.koreanadoptees.org/learning-korean/koreantv

Get 40% OFF
Hakseng
New in Town

Postby Hakseng » December 28th, 2008 8:16 pm

This site has some tv channels available:

http://wwitv.com/portal.htm

Also, this site has quite a bit of Korean media available, though not "live":

http://tv-links.cc/asian/korean_movies.html (for movies)
http://tv-links.cc/asian/korean_drama.html (for TV shows)

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » December 30th, 2008 3:44 am

precorded and English subtitled dramas can be found at www.mysoju.com and www.crunchyroll.com - not exactly live but certainly worth mentioning

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » December 30th, 2008 5:07 am

Yes you can get live Korean TV anywhere in the world. There are a couple FTA (free to air) satelites that have quite a few Korean channels. All FTA sats are free; you just need to buy the equipment ($150 or so).

DirectTV also offers a Korean channel package with similar channels for $40 a month or so.

shichae
New in Town

Postby shichae » December 30th, 2008 7:03 pm

try gom tv

justin.tv also has some stuff streaming..especially sports

Monkey_Monk
New in Town

Postby Monkey_Monk » January 21st, 2009 12:15 pm

Thank you everyone for all the links!

se80
Been Around a Bit

Postby se80 » September 30th, 2009 12:08 pm

Yes, KBS World can be seen outside Korea through satellite, but I'm pretty sure you have to subscribe and pay a monthly fee. Check their website for further info.

Now as for streaming sites, that's another thing entirely. I came here looking for URLs myself. For some reason, after I updated my KMPlayer, all the k-tv channels urls weren't there anymore. I used to check MBC every now and then and now I can't. *pouts* Ah well. Actually, if you guys have a list of mms and urls to use, that'd be awesome. 8)

Re: mysoju and crunchyroll. Whilst they're certainly a great resource for newbies who don't know where to look for dramas and movies, they're not exactly great for a)video/audio quality and b)all the fansubbers who spend hours and hours fansubbing stuff only to be completely disregarded by uploaders who don't respect the fansubbers' policy (all the fansub groups I know and that make high-quality subs don't like streaming sites for exactly that reason). Me? I prefer getting the raws and then check the official fansubbers' page or d-addicts to get the subs. The only streaming site like mysoju I'd trust is dramafever.net. Just my 2 cents.

dtymazda
Been Around a Bit

Postby dtymazda » September 30th, 2009 6:17 pm

If you're here in the California SF area, there's 3 OTA channels carrying Korean programming. 26.2, 26.3, and 32.2 (or 3, I forget)

Return to “Movies & Television (영화와 TV)”