Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

연해결혼 (Love & Marriage)

matthew254
Expert on Something

연해결혼 (Love & Marriage)

Postby matthew254 » December 8th, 2008 6:17 am

I've really been enjoying this K-drama recently. It's about divorce and match makers. I've already said "Oh no she didn't" twice in the past two days (I'm on episode 14)

I have two questions though.

1) In one scene, a man in his mid-to-late 30s addresses a young woman in her mid-to-late 20s as "언니". They have never met and they were meeting at a racetrack. He was trying to give her advice. Since then, he has continue to call her "언니" but I think he's actually calling her something disrespectful - something that translates in English as "Goofy 언니". Shouldn't she be "아가씨"?

Anyways, why would an older man do this? Does it help to know that the man's character is rude and kind of oblivious (눈치 없다)?

2) In another scene, some office employees are playing rock paper scissors (가위 바위 보) to decide who talks to the creepy guy from before. Once they play, the loser looks up and pleads "Best two out of three?" or "Best of three"? But I can't make out what he is saying...any help?

Chris1
Established Presence

Re: 연해결혼 (Love & Marriage)

Postby Chris1 » December 8th, 2008 6:53 am

matthew254 wrote:1) In one scene, a man in his mid-to-late 30s addresses a young woman in her mid-to-late 20s as "언니". They have never met and they were meeting at a racetrack. He was trying to give her advice. Since then, he has continue to call her "언니" but I think he's actually calling her something disrespectful - something that translates in English as "Goofy 언니". Shouldn't she be "아가씨"?

I don't know about this, but I might be able to point you in the right direction. There are cases in which a 여동생 calls an 언니 as 형 because of some historical event in Korea that had something do with college protesting (could be wrong). I wouldn't worry about it because it is most likely some type of cultural thing like that you would have to be pretty savvy with Korean history/culture to fully understand. I'm sure someone on here is going to know exactly what the story is.

2) In another scene, some office employees are playing rock paper scissors (가위 바위 보) to decide who talks to the creepy guy from before. Once they play, the loser looks up and pleads "Best two out of three?" or "Best of three"? But I can't make out what he is saying...any help?

It might be "3판 2승제".

Get 40% OFF
manyakumi
Expert on Something

Re: 연해결혼 (Love & Marriage)

Postby manyakumi » December 25th, 2008 7:38 am

matthew254 wrote: 1) In one scene, a man in his mid-to-late 30s addresses a young woman in her mid-to-late 20s as "언니". They have never met and they were meeting at a racetrack. He was trying to give her advice. Since then, he has continue to call her "언니" but I think he's actually calling her something disrespectful - something that translates in English as "Goofy 언니". Shouldn't she be "아가씨"?

Quite late response though...
They(men and women both) often call a young lady as 언니 and an old lady as 이모 in order to be intimate for the strangers.
It might be kinda rude in some situations though these kind of addressings are used quite often.

:)

Return to “Movies & Television (영화와 TV)”