Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Hey everyone! (new guy)

Enkiae
Been Around a Bit

Postby Enkiae » March 6th, 2008 2:56 pm

Bouks Well, of course now in hindsight I wish I studied grammar harder, but in school? :lol:

Actually, I had a friend back in Montreal who studied calligraphy under a qualified instructor from Japan. She even won a few contents and is now a certified calligraphist. The catch is...my friend doesn't even speak Japanese or Chinese :lol: :lol:

If you like the arty historical dramas, I definitely recommend you try Hwang Jin Yi (황진이), about a legendary historical giseng (korean geisha) and all the artistic and romantic exploits she goes through!

the_haunted_boy Thanks man :D Where are you from?

steved and austin haha I haven't had an experience like that in Korea (maybe cause my Korean isn't up to par yet), but I had a funny experience in Japan.

I was having a conversation with someone. Halfway she stops and goes "hey wait...we're talking in Japanese???" :lol:

hyunwoo I gotta ask...how do you study multiple languages at once?? I'm trying out Japanese and Korean at the same time...and when I try to speak Japanese I end up saying things 俺は여행 したい요 :oops:

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » March 6th, 2008 11:14 pm

I don't know about studying multiple languages at once, but having not studied French since high school, my study of Korean has made me unable to say anything complicated in French. Plus, I apparently speak French with a Korean accent now. I can still understand French well, though, it's just that I can't put any comprehensible sentence together.

Here's a funny story to illustrate understanding multiple languages. It's a little outrageous, but I assure you that it's true:

It was just over two years ago. I was nearing the end of my first stay in Korea, and I had been studying Korean intensively for two year prior to coming and during the whole time that I was there. Some friends and I wanted to watch a movie, so the cousin of one of the friends had gone to rent "March of the Penguins" for us. When we went to watch the movie, though, it turned out that it was the Korean version, so there was only the Korean audio track, and French subtitles. We watched it anyway. Somehow, even after all that time of studying Korean, my understanding of the French subtitles was higher than the voices of all the penguins speaking with each other in Korean!

Get 40% OFF
the_haunted_boy
Expert on Something

Postby the_haunted_boy » March 7th, 2008 5:50 pm

Enkiae wrote:
the_haunted_boy Thanks man :D Where are you from?

I currently live in Boise, which is also my home town.

PS: I also study lots of foreign languages at the same time.

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”