a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Thank You - 감사합니다

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Thank You - 감사합니다

Postby Dave76 » May 16th, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi

Got a question regarding Thank You in Korean (감사니다)

When I hear this word in Korean it always sounds like

Kam - Sa - M - Ni - Da

At least that is always what it sounds like to me like the HA is silent but obviously there is a HA in the middle there like

Kam - Sa - HAm - Ni - Da

So is the HA actually pronounced just so smooth that is almost sounds silent but is actually pronounced or is it actually silent?

Also the last Character in that same syllable is clearly not M as the character is so even though that syllable sounds like M is it actually a B or P sound instead being that is the possible choices for this character depending where it lays in the wording??

Thanks
Dave

community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: Thank You - 감사합니다

Postby community.korean » May 17th, 2017 12:54 pm

Hello,

Thanks for posting. Like you said, when people sometimes pronounce 감사합니다 very quickly, it is spoken so smoothly that you may not hear the 'h' sound. However, the proper way to pronounce it would be to include the 'h' sound.
As for 합니다 sounding like hamnida, this is due to the rules of batchim (words that end with consonants). Our 'Hana Hana Hangul' series teaches you the rules of batchim, so please take a look when you can!

https://www.koreanclass101.com/2012/05/ ... alization/

Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » May 17th, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi Lyn

Thanks at least I know it's not my hearing HA HA As even when I fly to Korea or through Korea even the flight attendants always sound like they are saying it without the H and even in some videos it sounds sometimes so smooth I just can't make it out even when repeat listens. If this isn't touched upon might be a good tip to post somewhere for anyone who might be a bit confused like I was.

And thanks I saw this in one of my textbooks I have here but didn't realize that was what I was seeing and why the character difference. Seems that is in the upgraded account area and being I am just starting want to test this all out a bit more before I decide.

감사합니다
Dave

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » May 22nd, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi Dave,

Glad to have been of help. Please let us know if you have any other questions during your studies.

Sincerely,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » June 2nd, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi

Had another question on this

I have also been using the flash cards below to practice my Hangul (This is just the back side the other side has the characters to in this case talking about top row right hand column) As you can see she indicates that there are 3 possible sounds for this character depending where it is located

http://learn-hangul.com/wp-content/uplo ... 1-Back.pdf

First letter of word it sounds like K
First word of Syllable it sounds like G
End of word it sounds like K

So this makes 감사합니다 sound like I have always thought it was being pronounced with a K sound rather then a G sound.

But I have also been using some videos from another website as extra lessons and they have the first Character being G instead of K in their pronunciation.

So is there a possibility of it being either G or K or is it K like the Flashcards indicate or G.

Even here I noticed depending on use seems different based on usage

감사합니다
감사하다
고맙습니다

So is there a specific reason why the first character is pronounced clearly two different ways as the flash cards don't indicate why the sound different especially where both [size=150]ㄱ[/size characters are clearly the first in the word and even the audio recordings here have it pronounced both as a G & K sound.

Dave

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » June 4th, 2017 4:25 am

Hi Dave,

The consonant ㄱ usually takes the 'G" sound. The consonant closer to the 'K' sound would actually be 'ㅋ'. And usually, even when the consonant ㄱ is in the front of a word, it will sound closer the 'G' sound than the 'K' sound.

Cheers,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » June 4th, 2017 4:34 am

So do ㄱ or ㄱㄱ Sound like K or KK as most the pronunciation guides I have including Living Language, Barons & Lonely Planet all show this character to be G or K

K is also indicated as you pointed out as ㅋ.

So when would ㄱ or ㄱㄱ be k or KK instead of G or GG?

Sorry just trying to understand this as these few characters that have possible different sound am not 100% clear on

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » June 6th, 2017 1:35 am

Hi Dave,

This is particularly tricky as sometimes the pronunciation of 'ㄱ' can sound somewhere between 'G' and 'K'--however, if you check the romanization for ㄱ and ㄲ you will find that they are usually 'g' and 'gg', respectively. (On a separate note, when native Koreans are chatting and they want to express the giggling sound, 크크, they will either shorten it as ㅋㅋ or kk).
Usually, when the consonant 'ㄱ' is at the beginning of a word or sentence, the pronunciation will tend to be 'stronger' in comparison to when it is used in between other syllables, which is why it may sometimes sound stronger than a regular 'g' sound. But it will definitely be softer than the actual 'k' sound.
Hope this was of help.

Sincerely,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » June 6th, 2017 2:18 am

Hi Lyn

Thanks for the explanation and being you said it was tricky guess explains my confusion some HA HA

Dave

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » June 8th, 2017 3:54 pm

Hi Dave,

It is a question that we get asked a lot. So don't worry about it! :D

Cheers,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”