Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

question about what's in "style"?

crewpanda22
Been Around a Bit

question about what's in "style"?

Postby crewpanda22 » May 25th, 2009 9:23 pm

I wasn't quite sure how to title this one and I hope this isnt too weird of a question...

So I've noticed that ear piercings and growing hair long (and sometimes tattoos) seems to be a pretty common thing lately among the Korean men. Well, I see ear piercings the most frequently. Are these ear and hair styles something that is the "cool" thing for Korean men to do these days? I was just wondering if it's a cultural thing or just coincidence that I see this so much among the Korean men. Or perhaps it has something to do with them being here in America (NYC area to be precise).

Any insights? I'm just curious. Thanks! :)

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 25th, 2009 9:58 pm

While I'm sure someone living in NYC can answer this closer to a T, I would first say that NYC Koreans (and Korean-Americans for that matter) follow slightly different trends than Koreans living in Korea. Most generally, Korean men in Korea stray from piercings and tattoos (and facial hair for that matter).

If you choose to follow a few Korean celebrity blogs, you end up picking up on some red carpet fashion in Korea.

Great question and observation BTW!

Get 40% OFF
holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 26th, 2009 11:11 pm

hmm... there is definitely a very korean style, and you can see a lot of it here in nyc. guys and girls both. i can't really describe it, but i can always pick it out. and i would venture to say that it's not that much different than in korea (according to my friends). if you watch korean tv, especially variety shows, you will see how similar it is.

tattoos are a different matter. fake tattoos are popular among entertainers in korea, but real tattoos are only recently becoming more acceptable. i am guessing you will see more korean people here in nyc with tattoos than you will in korea, though they're becoming more popular (lucky for me, i have a lot of them! hehe).
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

crewpanda22
Been Around a Bit

Postby crewpanda22 » May 26th, 2009 11:47 pm

Yea I wasn't sure if perhaps growing their hair long, piercing ears, or getting tattoos was something that they would do upon coming here to America if it wasn't as socially accepted in Korea. I get the impression that there's alot more freedom here to do as they please without the influence of family/society. So I was just a little curious.

Though, from the Kpop music videos I've seen, it seems ear piercings are very common among Korean guys...

Thanks for your input guys!

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » May 27th, 2009 3:49 am

crewpanda22 wrote: Though, from the Kpop music videos I've seen, it seems ear piercings are very common among Korean guys...

I don't think they will meet their girlfriend's parents as the way they look.

:wink:

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 27th, 2009 5:24 am

그렇죠 형! I definitely think that 'K-Pop' and the 'real world' are separate entities at times. We can all appreciate new fashions by celebrities but by and large, such style is still pretty taboo. Plus, no one wants to be that guy, you know?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » May 27th, 2009 7:09 am

"that guy" = "그딴 놈"

Right, Matthew?

:lol:

crewpanda22
Been Around a Bit

Postby crewpanda22 » May 27th, 2009 6:58 pm

Yea, no one ever wants to be "that guy" ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Thanks again for the info. I always like to "people watch" so to speak and since learning some Korean, I've become more interesting in learning more about the culture. It's interesting to see such cultural difference between Korean living here and Koreans living in Korean.

I wonder about the differences also between those two groups and American Born Koreans (ABK). I have a couple of friends who are American born Koreans. They are from the Hicksville area of LI which has a little Korean community. I think they are quite different in many ways. One of my friends even commented on how Korean born Koreans don't talk to him and his other ABKs. I know this question doesn't fall into my original topic, but any reasons as to why this happens?

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 27th, 2009 8:20 pm

"that guy" = "그딴 놈"
Right, Matthew?
:P

ㅎㅎ right as always, my friend :)

crewpanda22 wrote:One of my friends even commented on how Korean born Koreans don't talk to him and his other ABKs. I know this question doesn't fall into my original topic, but any reasons as to why this happens?

can-o-worms, my friend. can-o-worms.

I get to play the foreigner card quite often (although I like to only reserve it for emergency situations of gross misconduct). I'm white. I look like a frat guy. I'm from Texas. I have blue eyes. I'm one of those foreigners. So, when I speak with a goofy accent, or use strange intonation (read: sound like a girl), or do culturally questionable things, it's more than forgivable.

However, people who are of Korean ancestry - be it adopted, half-Korean, Korean-American, 일점오세, etc - are held to a different standard. Some Koreans may be disappointed that an adopted Korean does not speak the language (assuming that the adoptive parents would have surely taught the child his/her mother tongue). So, while this is not true for all people, I have run into this with some friends of varying Korean backgrounds.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 27th, 2009 11:02 pm

can-o-worms indeed.

anyway.

i was just going to comment that the whole "real life being different than kpop" thing doesn't really apply to korean fashion.. i mean, the korean guys here really dress like big bang, and korean girls really do wear super high heels and super mini skirts everywhere. among other things.. normal fashion rules just don't apply in korean fashion, and everyone dresses like they have just come off the runway..
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » May 28th, 2009 1:08 pm

German kyopos don't follow Korean trends at all, only the yuhakseng...

What does 일점오세 mean?
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

crewpanda22
Been Around a Bit

Postby crewpanda22 » May 28th, 2009 10:52 pm

Matthew, I should have figured it was pretty complicated lol. But your response really shed some light on the situation. I tried to ask my native Korean friends why they act that way towards ABKs and I didn't get an answer. I understand it much better now so, thanks. :) You are so knowledgeable!

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 29th, 2009 2:47 am

@ kyuree - 일점오세 is 1.5 generation. That is, a Korean that moved to a different country when they were very young but still retained a little of their home country's culture, and sometimes, language. So, they aren't 이세 (2nd generation) meaning parents were immigrants but they were born in a different country, but not exactly old enough to immigrate themselves, so to speak.

@ crewpanda - I'm just learning along with everyone else as best as I can :)

AndyS1987
New in Town

Postby AndyS1987 » April 20th, 2010 1:40 am

What I've noticed about fashion in Korea among young people is a pretty mature look, at least compared to their US counterparts. In winter, almost every young guy has a nice, professional-looking coat and scarf. The girls dress similarly, in a classy way, although there are always a few rogues that can be spotted walking around or on the subway, wearing more hiphop-style clothes. Overall though I'd say they dress in a more sophisticated and conservative way than their western counterparts. Heck, I had to buy a nicer coat this past winter just so I felt like I was fitting in lol.

Happypie
New in Town

Postby Happypie » April 27th, 2010 5:04 pm

Well Asian culture generally is quite collective, meaning they place more value in conformity and in groups, unlike in the west where being individual is valued higher. So my guess is that native koreans prefer to dress in a way that makes them fit in, while korean-americans try to stand out more. (with tattoos and piercings)

what i find quite interesting is how korean men aren't afraid to wear tight clothes or dress up!

In England Most men try to stay away from things that make them look feminine, including tight clothes. My boyfreinds parents once brought him back a jacket from Korea and it was so tight! He never wears it, simply because it would look strange over here, which is a shame since i like korean fashion. He was born in Korea but has lived here for the past 10 years so dresses and acts more like an English man now.

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”