53%
No I'm not
47%

Total votes: 45

rooraa
Expert on Something

싸이월드 Cyworld! Can I join too...?

Postby rooraa » August 23rd, 2008 6:59 pm

I know that Cyworld is really popular in Korea (1/4 of the entire population has an account!) and although there's a English version of it, I want to join the korean one. But in the regislation there was section that said 주민등록번호 which means National Resident Registration Number; so does that mean I have to be a resident of Korean to sign up? :cry:

And why are there 2 different sections? 이메일ID 찾기 and 비밀번호 찾기?

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » August 24th, 2008 4:46 am

Yes, you can join, it's just that you need to go to the registration form for foreigners rather than the one for Koreans.

The 이메일/비밀번호 찾기 button is for if you forget your login information.

From the main page, click 회원가입. Next, I would have told you to click the 외국인 button, but it looks like the foreigner registration is available in English now. That should be quite helpful for many people.

Get 40% OFF
rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » August 25th, 2008 1:46 am

thank you thank you!
It tooke me awhile to find the 회원가입 :roll: but i found it ^^
But what do they mean by "After signing up, you have to submit related document within a week for approval.
The document for submission: One duplicate copy among identification of the nation, passport,
driver’s license, foreigner registration card." :?: :?:

I don't have a driver's license yet...and wait a minute, is there an age limit?? I'm only 16 right now :shock:

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » August 25th, 2008 2:12 am

They want you to e-mail them a scanned image of your ID, because our cyworld account is tied to your actual identity. If you're not old enough to get a driver's license yet, you can get an ID card from the DMV.

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » August 25th, 2008 2:23 am

I see.

Hmm I shall do that later then. ㅋㅋ But thanks anyways for being so helpful =D

http://music.cyworld.com/songroom/webso ... w_list.asp So I stumbled upon the 노래방 section and i downloaded the song player application but the karoake lyrics look like *^$(*&#))@# :shock: can you please help javiskefka?

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » August 25th, 2008 2:44 am

No problem :wink: .

The lyrics for the Cyworld Song Room thing don't display properly for me either. I imagine you would either have to be running Korean language windows or set the default language of non-unicode applications (Under Control Panel -> Regional and Language Settings) to Korean for it to work. There are other issues if you do that though, like some things on your computer showing up in Korean instead of English.

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » August 26th, 2008 1:11 am

you're a genius! I did what you said and now i can read the lyrics! :D :D Thank you so much!

So far, I've only noticed that in iTunes, the font is a bit different but no big deal ^-^

Well I guess I won't have a cyworld for awhile, TT_TT I think I'll just wait to get my driver's lisence which may take a while :?

But for now, I'll just browse around the website and get more comfortable navigating around :wink:

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » August 26th, 2008 1:59 pm

just for the record, cyworld only works on PC. it will not work on a mac.

me = mac user -----> me = sad.

i can't even read other people's cyworld entries on my computer. sad.

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » August 27th, 2008 2:25 am

holdfast wrote:just for the record, cyworld only works on PC. it will not work on a mac.

me = mac user -----> me = sad.

i can't even read other people's cyworld entries on my computer. sad.

Try to use Opera, Emily.
Though the Active-X elements are not work, you can see their messages at least.

And... don't be so sad. I'm a mac user, too. :wink:

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » August 27th, 2008 7:07 pm

what is opera? a web-browser?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » August 29th, 2008 1:49 am

Yes. It's a Web-browser. :)

You can download it from http://www.opera.com

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » August 29th, 2008 2:12 am

rooraa wrote:http://music.cyworld.com/songroom/websongroom/song_new_list.asp So I stumbled upon the 노래방 section and i downloaded the song player application

Is this better than the Bugs Player? That one used to be a great resource for searching for a song or artist and listening to it while looking at the lyrics, but now it stops after the first minute unless you are a paying member (which is, of course, impossible for foreigners).

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » August 29th, 2008 3:02 am

I'm not exactly sure what Bugs is but I don't think it's better because the song will only play for about 45 seconds and end but maybe it'll play the whole song if you have an account :wink:

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » August 29th, 2008 1:03 pm

manyakumi wrote:Try to use Opera, Emily.
Though the Active-X elements are not work, you can see their messages at least.

And... don't be so sad. I'm a mac user, too. :wink:

manyakumi...

Does Opera solve *most* of your troubles when using a mac? The trouble is.... I think it's usually the ActiveX things I want to use on a Korean website, but cant!

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

ognistik
New in Town

Postby ognistik » August 30th, 2008 4:10 am

hey roora, you don't really need your drivers licence. You only need any ID that has your photo and your name. I sent a scan of my passport, but I've some friends that have sent their student ID and they accept it. There's actually a lot of tutorials for english speakers that want to use korean cyworld, maybe you can just google it.

I have a cyworld myself even without understanding how I did it... lol... just following tutorials. It's quite useful to keep in touch with Korean friends

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”