a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Best ways to learn vocabulary....

stevy
New in Town

Best ways to learn vocabulary....

Postby stevy » February 18th, 2009 8:13 am

Hiya,

please can everyone share the best way to learn vocabulary.

I use a program called supermemo - i input words onto it and it tests me the words until i learn it. Supermemo works to get the words into your longterm memory. So intervals for repetitions are spaced depending on how well you can recall the word.

Also i've brought a book called "how to master korean vocabulary" by Degennaro. It looks very good. You basically remember root words of korean. Rather than deductively learning loads of unrelated vocabulary, you learn the mnemonic sentences in this book. These sentences relate to a korean root word and therefore you can determine (have a good guess) at what the word is. This looks fantastic so i'm giving it a shot.

I'm gong to input these mnemonic sentences into supermemo.

Any other great tips please let me know - i'm trying to become fluent in korean. (i've brought everything i know including rosetta stone, pimsleur, declan, koreanclass101, unforgettable language linkwords, plus going to Youngsei university night classes).

Anythings else please let me know?

best

steve

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » February 18th, 2009 10:37 pm

I was never a fan of cramming vocabulary.
I had to do it for school for the weekly vocabulary tests. I scored well and two weeks later I mostly didn't remember half of the words.

I'm sure the best way to learn new words (i.e. memorize them forever) is to come across them in contexts two or three times. This is somethig that might happen by chance.
Of course we can't rely on these chances.
Listening to KoreanClass101 dialogues several times creates a good context, e.g.

But I know it's maybe too little to only rely on context-based learning.
I'm currently trying a new method I thought of.
I have Korean classes every Monday and I always write down new words but I never actually sat down to study them (as I said, not a vocab cramming fan...). Some of the words I write down are not so "important" or handy for me. So now I decided to choose 14 words every week out of all the words I wrote down (normally I write down more), then I roughly list them in order of difficulty. I also include phrases if they're proverbs or help me understand sentence structure or grammar.

I assign the two most difficult words for Monday, the 2nd most difficult words for Tuesday and so on until Sunday.
On Monday I learn only those two words. On Tuesday I repeat Monday's words and add the two from Tuesday and so on until on Sunday I repeat all 14 words.
I go through the words whenever I have a few minutes of spare time (say waiting for the bus).
I try not to look at the paper to know which words I have to repeat, I have to recall them by heart (this also trains my memory in general). Having to recall the words like this will hopefully help me knowing the words actively not only passively.

I only have two words per day which are 14/week. I thought when assinging too many I might end up not learning any and 14/week is better than not learning them at all.
I might try to use three/day (21/week).

I guess it's a good way when you have little time to constantly learn at least a bit.
2 words a day are over 700 words a year, :)

Dunno whether this helps.
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

Get 40% OFF
kingplaya4
Been Around a Bit

Postby kingplaya4 » February 19th, 2009 2:35 pm

^^^^

While 700 words sounds good in theory, I think you're going to need two decades to get even a reasonable handle on Korean at that rate. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any statistics on this, but based on how specific Korean is (just for quick example family relations, putting things on watch, ring, clothes etc, number system) you need far more words to function in daily life than in English. I've read the average American kindergarten student knows 5000 root words, and while I could live with speaking like a kindergartener at this point, it's hardly fluent which is my goal.

Before I realized how difficult Korean vocabulary was, I was trying to really learn two words a day, but now I'm going for a more machine gun approach where I cram as many words into my notebook as I possibly can. Obviously, they won't all stick, but perhaps if I can get up to ten or even twenty a day I could make some real progress within my lifetime.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » February 19th, 2009 3:22 pm

for me, the only way to remember vocabulary is to use it. i remember vocabulary by necessity. for example: if i am reading something and look up a word in order to understand the whole sentence, i will actually be using that word, and will remember it. and usually, when i learn new a word in that way, i will immediately try to think of it in a different context as well, and that helps me remember.

or, if i know that i am going to have to talk about a certain topic in korean, i will look up some words relevant to that topic and think about different things i could say in that situation, and i will remember the words that way because i am using them. the same goes for writing - i try to write/journal in korean as much as i can, and i learn new vocabulary based on what i am trying to say in that situation.

and, i have surprisingly learned a lot of vocabulary that way. for me, trying to memorize big lists of words is useless. but if i focus on the words i need to know, then actually use those words, i learn them quickly. my vocabulary is pretty large for only studying 2 years, i think....
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

jintana23
Been Around a Bit

Postby jintana23 » February 19th, 2009 4:02 pm

I have a small notebook and a pen that I can keep with me all the time. I write down new words and grammar points I konw in the book (Only example sentences). While travelling to work and after work, I always study the new words and try to contruct sentences using these words. I do it every day using the same word until I can remember each word. It may take a week or more to remember all. I also listen to Kc101 every day. I choose the lessons that I like and listen until I can memorize every word. And Reviews help me a lot on vocabulary. Like holdfast mentioned, writing journal is a good way for me too.

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » February 19th, 2009 4:42 pm

holdfast wrote:for me, the only way to remember vocabulary is to use it. i remember vocabulary by necessity. for example: if i am reading something and look up a word in order to understand the whole sentence, i will actually be using that word, and will remember it. and usually, when i learn new a word in that way, i will immediately try to think of it in a different context as well, and that helps me remember.

or, if i know that i am going to have to talk about a certain topic in korean, i will look up some words relevant to that topic and think about different things i could say in that situation, and i will remember the words that way because i am using them. the same goes for writing - i try to write/journal in korean as much as i can, and i learn new vocabulary based on what i am trying to say in that situation.

and, i have surprisingly learned a lot of vocabulary that way. for me, trying to memorize big lists of words is useless. but if i focus on the words i need to know, then actually use those words, i learn them quickly.

yes, I think that's a good method.

I actually learnt quite some words from watching dramas :roll:
I try to concentrate and not just watch it for the fun of it. Sometimes I write down words. If they use the same word in another episode again normally I know it after that.
I never really made much of an effort to learn vocabulary, I think my problem is more to use grammar actively when speaking. Of course I don't have a magnificient vocabulary but my major problem is active grammar usage.

Still I'd rather learn 14-30/week in 10min/day then to cram for an hour and study hundreds of words that I quickly forget.

Sometimes in Seoul on the subway I saw Koreans learn vocab w/ special books (English). I think I have a relatively good English vocabulary for a non-native speaker. Some of the words I saw them learn were a) really advanced or b) I didn't even know them. And I wonder whether it's of any use to know these kinds of words if you will not be in situations were you have to use them, already know simpler words to express the same thing and/or have major grammar problems.

I sometimes meet w/ a Korean woman to learn German (her) and Korean (me). I said we should both write a story w/ the words we noted down respectively. It'll help memorize the words and also you practice writing/grammar.

Either way, i'd still recommend not to study too many words or words no one needs. I don't think it's efficient.

@kingplaya4:

I don't know about that. When I think of all the possibilities to form a correct Korean sentence by combining 있다/없다 with another word...

chriswebb
New in Town

Postby chriswebb » April 21st, 2009 1:46 pm

I think the Handbook of Korean vocabulary is probably the best tool out there, it's basically a root reference. When you come across a new word you can look up it's consituents and really get to understand why the word is what it is. That might not sound that useful but it really is because those roots will be used in other words to so after a while you can make educated guesses as to a words meaning based on it's context and roots. This can really help in reading and listening to new material which is how you ultimately cement words into your understanding.

I think just straight cramming is not a great idea.

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » April 21st, 2009 6:16 pm

chriswebb wrote:I think the Handbook of Korean vocabulary is probably the best tool out there, it's basically a root reference. When you come across a new word you can look up it's consituents and really get to understand why the word is what it is. That might not sound that useful but it really is because those roots will be used in other words to so after a while you can make educated guesses as to a words meaning based on it's context and roots. This can really help in reading and listening to new material which is how you ultimately cement words into your understanding.

Sounds like a cool book!! :)

Do you have the exact title/author/publisher/ISBN or can you tell us where you can get it?

chriswebb
New in Town

Postby chriswebb » April 22nd, 2009 5:16 pm

kyuree wrote:
chriswebb wrote:I think the Handbook of Korean vocabulary is probably the best tool out there, it's basically a root reference. When you come across a new word you can look up it's consituents and really get to understand why the word is what it is. That might not sound that useful but it really is because those roots will be used in other words to so after a while you can make educated guesses as to a words meaning based on it's context and roots. This can really help in reading and listening to new material which is how you ultimately cement words into your understanding.

Sounds like a cool book!! :)

Do you have the exact title/author/publisher/ISBN or can you tell us where you can get it?

It's on Amazon;

http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Korean-V ... 547&sr=1-4

wordoholic
New in Town

Postby wordoholic » May 12th, 2009 8:18 pm

Here's my way of choice:

1. Get some movies in Korean.
2. Before watching, find the subtitles on the internet, write down the words you don't know.
3. It's a shameless plug, but I suggest my software (available at http://wordoholic.com ) to memorize the words.
4. Watch the movie with subtitles OFF and catch the words you've learned.

Generally speaking, I'm against subtitles as you tend to read them narrated instead of watching a movie.
Last edited by wordoholic on May 12th, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » May 12th, 2009 9:00 pm

Watch English movies with Korean subtitles you mean?

I prefer watching Korean movies/dramas with English subtitles...

wordoholic
New in Town

Postby wordoholic » May 12th, 2009 9:08 pm

Sure. Corrected.

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”