a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Hanja Quiz

dogilin
Been Around a Bit

Hanja Quiz

Postby dogilin » February 3rd, 2009 11:17 pm

Hi everyone,

learning Korean is more fun with hanjas, don't you think? So why not try out my new Hanja Quiz program... You can play it at

http://kanjikaiser.awardspace.com/HanjaQuiz.html

and you can also download it for free. With + you can change the background color, with # you can switch to Japanese characters, and with return you can start the exciting tournament mode (the German word is Turniermodus ^^).
And you can see the button functions again by pressing "escape".
If you find any bugs, tell me here.

Have fun!
Last edited by dogilin on March 1st, 2009 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » February 4th, 2009 12:55 pm

Sounds promising. However when I load the page with Firefox 3.0.6 I get a lot of garbage characters, I'm not able to read anything. I tried several different encodings, but none would work. Can you please try to fix it? Thanks.

Get 40% OFF
Chriss
Established Presence

Postby Chriss » February 4th, 2009 2:28 pm

Use Internet Explorer. =/

Although it still, except for one lone Chinese character, looks like gibberish to me. ^^

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » February 4th, 2009 2:42 pm

It rendered correctly for me :D in IE7. I don't know enough hanja to do very successfully, though. Does it start a new round if you get so many wrong? That's what it seemed to do for me.

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » February 4th, 2009 5:46 pm

Ah yes, it works in IE 6 as well. But I believe that might be not too hard to make it cross-browser-compatbile. What do you think? The biggest problem right now is that between every character a weird black circle with a question mark is being displayed. Never seen such a thing... What software did you use to save the source HTML?

dogilin
Been Around a Bit

Postby dogilin » February 4th, 2009 6:18 pm

Well, I admit it, my program is not Firefox compatible yet. But normally, you shouldn't see question marks but a message "works only with Internet Explorer"... I'll try to fix that.
When you start it with IE (version 6 or 7; or version 5 probably works too) everything should be fine. If not, you may have to install Chinese characters first.

In tournament mode only two mistakes per round are allowed - that's why it's so exciting! :wink:

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » February 4th, 2009 7:05 pm

This is how it looks like in Firefox. Since the page doesn't get interpreted at all, it's not possible to view your "only for IE" message. Click on the image below to see a larger view of it.

dogilin
Been Around a Bit

Postby dogilin » February 4th, 2009 7:29 pm

Problem fixed - now you get a decent error message when starting it with Firefox!
And if you all say "please" I'll even consider to make it compatible. :wink:
(It's not as easy as you think, though, because there are many differences in the implementation of javascript between IE and Firefox.)

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » February 4th, 2009 7:48 pm

danke dogilin! Yes please, that would be awesome to have it cross-browser-compatible. Talking for me, I only have IE at work and it's not the best place to start playing games... LOL

dogilin
Been Around a Bit

Postby dogilin » February 5th, 2009 12:13 pm

IT'S DONE! It's Firefox compatible now!
If it still looks strange on your computer, you have to change the character encoding to UTF-8.

kbschr1
New in Town

Postby kbschr1 » February 5th, 2009 1:53 pm

Just to let you know, it appears to work properly with the Opera browser as well. Just make sure to set encoding to UTF-8, same as for Firefox.

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » February 5th, 2009 2:32 pm

Fantastic! Thanks a lot! About the encoding: just add this line in the head and it will be automatic.

Code: Select All

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

dogilin
Been Around a Bit

Postby dogilin » February 5th, 2009 4:25 pm

I have inserted the line now, but at least on my Firefox it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference...

erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » February 5th, 2009 6:37 pm

Yeah, you're right. I saved the file locally and removed the weird characters before the beginning of the page. I moved the meta tag after the title (that's where it belongs) and removed the advertisment javascript at the end. Finally, I ended the page with the closing html tag. Now everything shows up fine in Firefox.

Now I don't know which of these changes made the difference. It might well be that the server where you are hosting the page is forcing the page to be served with the ISO-8859-1 encoding...

dogilin
Been Around a Bit

Postby dogilin » February 5th, 2009 8:27 pm

Meta tag belongs after the title... closing html tag... I think erich is German too. :wink:
For all those who have no clue about what we two are discussing here anyway I have good news: I think what makes the difference is simply having downloaded the program onto the computer. Just note that you still have to change the encoding to UTF-8 - but only once, that is before the download. Then it works automaticly.
I think most probably it's the server's fault. Let's punish him by not clicking at the advertisement corner! :wink:

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”