Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

PDF/ipod problem

JadeFantasy
New in Town

PDF/ipod problem

Postby JadeFantasy » March 15th, 2009 3:55 am

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if you guys could help me out with something. I guess in one of the audio files I heard that you can somehow access the pdf on your ipod... I may be wrong but when I uploaded it to my ipod the pdf files didn't upload (which I can understand since they are adobe stuff). The problem I am encountering is that some of the files have a hangul, romanization, and english transcripts, some only have the romanization and english, and others dont have anything. Is there something I am doing wrong? I really like to have the hangul because it helps me with sound and word association. If I have to just resort to listening on my ipod and checking out the pdfs later I will but Im not always able to access them so it would be nice if I made some ipod mistake in this case. ^-^ Thanks in advance for any help!

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » March 15th, 2009 3:37 pm

I posted a similar post but received no replies. I just got an ipod touch and was experimenting with loading the files into it. But it seems like there's no way to directly load pdfs into the ipod via itunes. I think (from my own 'research') that you need to have some applications in your ipod before it can read pdfs. These apps are available in the itunes store, e.g. pdf reader, air sharing, readdle docs etc. Then, to get the pdfs into your ipod, you can either do that through the wi-fi network or a 3G network (if you have readdle docs).

I also want to have the pdfs in my ipod so that i can read it on-the-go. It doesn't make sense to me to have only the audio files and have to go back to the computer to access the PDFs, or to have to print the PDFs out. But I haven't purchased any of those apps yet so I can't tell you if it really works (or if it works well).

I wish KC101 would come up with a way of getting the content in the PDFs into the ipod. I know they have come up with the Beginner/Elementary applications for ipod, but those aren't useful for people who have already done those lessons. What I would really like is to have each new lesson available in those formats. I don't mind paying a tiny bit more for the subscription fees for that.

Get 40% OFF
Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » March 15th, 2009 4:06 pm

Yup, I'm pretty sure shanshanchua is right - you need to have an app that allows you to read PDF's. Just go to the app store in iTunes and do a search for one...
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

JadeFantasy
New in Town

Postby JadeFantasy » March 16th, 2009 6:11 am

감사합니다 The problem is i only have a video ipod. I researched for apps that would read pdfs but they are only for iphones and ipod touches. So I still have no clue what to do.... Also I was going to type into the lyrics section the hangul but there seems to be a lock on the info already provided which wont allow me to erase it...
Last edited by JadeFantasy on March 16th, 2009 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » March 16th, 2009 7:19 am

Yeah, iPhones and iPod Touches are the only ones that can read PDF's.

Why don't you just print them out? Or, you obviously have a computer, just look at them on the computer?? The great thing about learning this way, is that you don't HAVE to have an iPhone or iPod touch. *Shrugs*
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

JadeFantasy
New in Town

Postby JadeFantasy » March 16th, 2009 8:19 am

its true I do have a computer but since I can't use it all the time I was hopin to learn during those times when I don't have access to my computer. I'm just gonna keep tryin to see what I can do but if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » March 16th, 2009 8:26 am

I'm not very technically advanced so don't take my word for it. But I don't think you can read pdfs on classic/nano ipods.

I really hope KC101 would come up with a great app that will allow the pdf content of every lesson to be loaded over to the ipod, but until then, I'll probably print out the pdfs..

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » March 16th, 2009 11:15 am

...I don't see what's so wrong with printing them out. I have an iPhone, and I still print them all out. That way, you can write stuff all over them, still take them places with you and not worry about them taking up any space on a digital device. You don't have to have the latest technology to learn!
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

JadeFantasy
New in Town

Postby JadeFantasy » March 16th, 2009 5:14 pm

lol. my bad. its not that I want the latest technology to learn. Its just at my job I have to push a lot of patients in a hospital and I can't carry papers on the floor. Its just a little bit more convenient to have the hangul on my ipod since I can put it in my pocket while walking the hospital for roughly 14 hours. But printing the notes is a good idea for when I ride the bus. :wink:

stevy
New in Town

Postby stevy » June 8th, 2009 12:13 pm

Yeah i second the person who wrote about Korean 101 building some application that lets everything be in one place

they already have the first 10 lesson application so it shouldn't be that hard

tbriley
New in Town

Postby tbriley » June 21st, 2009 4:43 pm

discover wifi is a great little free app that helps you put your pdfs and other documents onto your iphone or ipod touch. if you have a mac, simply start the program, run safari, click history--->bonjour, and your ipod should pop right up, ready to be loaded with the lesson pdfs 8)

i've noticed that the newer pdfs do not work so well though. the lesson notes lite obviously do not work at all, and the standard pdfs render at a painfully slow rate; they're nearly unusable. any suggestions? i'd even be willing to convert these and sort through them myself, but can't seem to find a good way to do it.
-Tim

crabstix
Been Around a Bit

Season 3 beginner series. Some do not load onto ipod touch!

Postby crabstix » August 9th, 2009 3:05 am

JadeFantasy wrote:its true I do have a computer but since I can't use it all the time I was hopin to learn during those times when I don't have access to my computer. I'm just gonna keep tryin to see what I can do but if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I am in the same boat. I have an ipod touch. I am using GoodReader (bought from itunes store) on the ipod touch (2nd Generation) + a desktop application called 'iphone browser' (freeware). The first few lessons of season 3 beginner series load onto the ipod but the ones after lesson 4 do not! Why is that? I have tried reading them using wifi too but they don't open. Any solutions/workarounds?

Return to “Technical Support (기술 지원)”