Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up with Facebook

-다가 / -더니

Everything you need to know about the Korean Language and How to Learn Korean. Discuss, ask questions and get answers on the Korean Language and How to Learn Korean.
ilwoo214574
New in Town

-다가 / -더니

Postby ilwoo214574 » December 23rd, 2011 1:39 pm

I find these to be one of the most confusing verbal suffixes !!

-더니 is a connective ending, am I right? What is the difference between that and -다가? There's also some kind of rule on the speaker of each clause? Like -더니 you can't use in the past tense unless you're talking about yourself etc etc., am I right?
Can you please provide examples too!

So sorry this question is a burden!!! :(

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » December 24th, 2011 8:26 am

I don't know many specifics of Korean grammar but I will offer a few comments according to my limited understanding, beyond that, I am not qualified to explain tense and other complex or rare grammatical exceptions:

-더니 is a connective ending, am I right? What is the difference between that and -다가?

~더니 - is conjunctive between two clauses that expresses the action of the first clause is a reason, in other words 'because of this' or 'since' then the following occurred or is true.
(나는) 그 일을 직접 하더니 얼마나 힘든 일인지 깨달았어요 - I realised what a difficult job it was since I did (was doing) the work myself.
그 일을 직접 하시더니 얼마나 힘든 일인지 알게 되셨나요? - Since you had a hand in doing the work did you come to understand how difficult it is?
얘는 빈 깡통을 보더니 발로 찼어요 - Upon seeing an empty can the child kicked it. Since he saw the empty can he kicked it.

~다가 - is also conjunctive between clauses but rather indicates that there was a discontinuance of the action of the first clause and a second (yet related) action or result occurred, this may also indicate a change of location between where the first and second actions take place (this pattern should not to be confused with other patterns that have 다가 as an element, such as ~은/는데다가 ).
그 일을 하다가 쉬었어요 - I worked for a while then rested. After doing the work I rested.
요리를 하다가 먹었어요 - We cooked the food (in the kitchen) and then ate it.
한참을 벼르다가 철수는 드디어 하고 싶은 말을 꺼냈어요 - After looking for just the right opportunity, Chul-soo finally brought up what was on his mind (what he wanted to say).

There's also some kind of rule on the speaker of each clause? Like -더니 you can't use in the past tense unless you're talking about yourself etc etc., am I right?

There are always grammatical rules and exceptions but who has time to think about them when having a conversation? I acknowledge, however, their importance when it comes to writing and translation. Some strange things happen when considering tense in these patterns, for example a true 'past tense' (e.g. 했더니, 했다가) does not seem impossible but I think it would be a rather rare construction in everyday speech. And while a future tense appears to be impossible in either case, when we apply future tense to '더니' something unexpected happens 그 일을 하겠더니 기뻐요 -Since you are saying (now) that you are going to do the work (in the future) I am happy.

Can you please provide examples too!

Yeah well maybe some kind volunteer will come along and give some great examples and correct all my mistakes -- but I wouldn't hold your breath while waiting.

George Posten - fellow student 한국명은 나영훈입니다

Final Day! Click here to get a BIG 28% OFF & Learn Korean!
ilwoo214574
New in Town

Postby ilwoo214574 » December 26th, 2011 3:59 pm

Thank you so much George, you do a great job at responding! I wish I can send you some kind of online award :P

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”