a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

-뭐, 금방/방금, 걔, 자네, a bunch of questions!

gcfranco
New in Town

-뭐, 금방/방금, 걔, 자네, a bunch of questions!

Postby gcfranco » September 19th, 2009 6:49 am

Hi everyone! 안녕하세요 :)

I've been using Viikii.com to practice listening as well as to improve my vocabulary by writing the captions for a Korean drama that I'm currently watching (well, the ones I can understand the most hehe). I find it really fun and quite helpful since someone will eventually edit/proofread your captions sooner or later.

Anyway I've come across a couple of findings that I hope some will be able to answer :)

그러면, 시작할게요 :)

뭐 (mwo) I often hear this a lot at the end of sentences for example, "겨우 백만 원인데요 뭐"
Listening to the way it's often said, I feel it gives off an expression similar to "you know", maybe add in a *shrug* or something along those lines ... Is there a specific translation or is it something that one shouldn't trouble themselves too much with?

금방 / 방금 : they both mean the same thing, correct? What's interesting is that the syllables are flipped around. Can I interchange them both at any time? or is one preferred over the other depending on the context?

걔. this means him/her right? Third person, plain and simple?

자네 means 'You' according to the dictionary. Dictionary example: 자네는 자네 할 일만 하고 있으면 돼. Is this used often? I've heard it in all politeness levels. It seems like a useful word :)

That's all!
그게 다예요 :)
누군가 재 질문에서 하나라도 대답할 수 있으면 좋겠습니다! 감사합니다!

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Re: -뭐, 금방/방금, 걔, 자네, a bunch of questions!

Postby manyakumi » September 19th, 2009 8:58 am

gcfranco wrote: 뭐 (mwo) I often hear this a lot at the end of sentences for example, "겨우 백만 원인데요 뭐"
Listening to the way it's often said, I feel it gives off an expression similar to "you know", maybe add in a *shrug* or something along those lines ... Is there a specific translation or is it something that one shouldn't trouble themselves too much with?

I guess you were right.
We just use it as a meaning of "you know"
It was originally "무엇을 그리 말씀하세요" (what are you talking like that?/why do you say so?)
And it became "뭘 그러세요" or "뭘 그래요"
Finally turned to "뭘" -> "뭐" simply.

gcfranco wrote: 금방 / 방금 : they both mean the same thing, correct? What's interesting is that the syllables are flipped around. Can I interchange them both at any time? or is one preferred over the other depending on the context?

They are exactly same.
You can interchange them anytime you want.

gcfranco wrote: 걔. this means him/her right? Third person, plain and simple?

걔 is a short for 그 아이 (the child/kid/guy/chick)
And yes, the third person, plain and simple.

gcfranco wrote: 자네 means 'You' according to the dictionary. Dictionary example: 자네는 자네 할 일만 하고 있으면 돼. Is this used often? I've heard it in all politeness levels. It seems like a useful word :)

자네 means "you" in a polite manner.
But it shouldn't be said by the younger to the elders.
To the same age friends, to the younger, would be okay.
Kind of an old fashioned word. (like King James words)

:wink:

Get 40% OFF
gcfranco
New in Town

Postby gcfranco » September 19th, 2009 5:02 pm

와우! 정말 빠르네요 :P

뜻을 드리셔서 고맙습니다, manyakumi 씨 :D

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”