Or sign up using Facebook

Study Korean for free at Geumgang University

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Study Korean for free at Geumgang University

Postby gillesvdp » May 24th, 2009 8:27 am

Source: Geumgang University

Korean Language Program

The Korean Language Program, offered by the Geumgang Language Center, is open to those foreign students, including ethnic Koreans, who are interested in the Korean language and culture. Applicants must be fluent speakers of English, Japanese, or Chinese, and they should

(1) be currently enrolled in university studies,
(2) be on leave from university studies, or
(3) have graduated from university.

This program has primarily been designed with a view to promoting a better understanding of Korean culture on the part of foreigners and to creating an environment where Korean students will be exposed to foreign languages (English, Japanese, and Chinese) and cultures.

Admission to the Program

The successful applicant will be offered a furnished dormitory room, which is shared with a Korean student, and provided with free meals in the school cafeteria. Moreover, they will receive further financial support provided that they meet the scholarship regulations of the Geumgnag Language Center.

I. Application and Screening Procedure
A. Documents Required
(1) A completed application form with scanned photo (download)
(2) A dormitory application form (download)
(3) A statement of purpose (download)
(4) Student consent form (download)
(5) An official academic transcript from the last school attended.
(6) A copy of the applicant's passport and (if possible) alien registration card
(7) Recommendation
(8) A certificate of health (Tuberculosis (TB) and Hepatitis A,B,C, HIV testing are required)
B. Screening
(1) Screening of the documents submitted
(2) Telephone interview
(3) Admission notification

C. After getting an admission
(1) 5 identification photographs (3cmx4cm)
(2) Health insurance plan for a student studying abroad (if available): Participants in Student Health Insurance Plan is mandatory for Geumgang University Korean Language Program students, unless proof of comparable coverage (effective for the full academic year in Korea) is presented. In the absence of a waiver, your portion of the insurance will be assessed when you arrive on campus. The approximate rate for a full academic year is 130~150 USD, which is subject to change depending on currency fluctuation.

II. Program Description
The Korean Language Program is offered twice a year during the spring semester and the fall semester, each of which consists of a 16-week session. Classes are offered at three level: beginner, intermediate and advanced level of proficiency. After successfully completing each level, students will receive a certificate of completion.

A. Levels Offered
(1) Beginner Level
(2) Intermediate Level
(3) Advanced Level
B. Course Duration
(1) Spring session: Starts from March 1st and lasts for 16 weeks.
(2) Fall session: Starts from September 1st and lasts for 16 weeks.
C. Class Schedules
(1) Classes meet four days a week, from Tuesday through Friday.
(2) Korean Cultural classes are offered once a month.
D. Tuition and Scholarships
(1) Tuition is free for all participants in this program.
(2) Participants in this program may receive up to as financial support 200,000 Korean won every month.

III. Further Information
For further information, please visit the home page (http://www.ggu.ac.kr) or contact, keun seok Kim at:

E-mail:
Telephone: +82-41-731-3583
Fax: +82-41-731-3585

If anyone is interested :)

Chris1
Established Presence

Postby Chris1 » May 24th, 2009 9:50 am

Excellent, Excellent information. -- Thanks for the post.

Get 40% OFF
tsp_uk
New in Town

Postby tsp_uk » July 31st, 2009 8:46 pm

Does it sound too good to be true?

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » October 14th, 2009 7:33 pm

tsp_uk wrote:Does it sound too good to be true?
that's what i was wondering. We would have to pay for transportation to and from korea, i'm assuming?

franjae
New in Town

Postby franjae » October 15th, 2009 11:53 am

Just wondering what the University will achieve doing this? Certainly does not make commercial sense, unless it is hoping the local students will benefit intellectually somehow from the foreigners. Unfortunately I'm much too old for this :oops:

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » October 16th, 2009 5:02 am

franjae wrote:Just wondering what the University will achieve doing this? Certainly does not make commercial sense, unless it is hoping the local students will benefit intellectually somehow from the foreigners. Unfortunately I'm much too old for this :oops:

Well, it's not unusual for universities to set aside money for scholarships and special programs like this. Their mission is to educate people, not to make a profit after all.

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » October 16th, 2009 5:25 am

I had a quick look at their website. It doesn't seem to be a full-fledged university in the sense that it offers rather limited courses of study. Or at least that's what I saw in the ENglish version of the website. They have a school for buddhist studies, and another one for international trade, that's about it.

It would be helpful to hear from someone who has gone through that program. But if tuition and accommodation are free, it doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. :)

Franjae: There's no age limit, is there? :)

tarynB
New in Town

Postby tarynB » October 29th, 2009 7:30 am

Well, it appears the university requires its students to study English, Chinese or Japanese,
the university requires of its graduating students basic computer skills and the ability to communicate in English, Japanese or Chinese.
thus the scholarships for native speakers of English, Chinese or Japanese to study Korean at their school.

The site mentions,
and to creating an environment where Korean students will be exposed to foreign languages (English, Japanese, and Chinese) and cultures.
so the "scholarship" students are essentially providing the university (and it's students) a much needed service. One can only hope the Korean classes aren't just a crappy excuse to get people in the door...

Also, the school is Buddhist so no telling if they want to 'share the love of Buddha' as well. :wink:

I don't think there's a whole lot to do down in that area but I may look into it for a semester or so since I'm considering an M.A. at Yonsei...[/quote]

sochocklover17
New in Town

Postby sochocklover17 » November 9th, 2009 2:00 am

So you can't enter this right out of highschool? You have to be enrolled in college already?

stevenwilson
Been Around a Bit

Postby stevenwilson » November 9th, 2009 6:56 am

I'm currently studying for 1 semester in korea. I will see if I can go down and check it out this weekend.

I really share tarynB's concerns about the quality. And other students at my university describe country universities as daycare for highschool dropout adults. I doubt it is THAT bad, but you know what they say about things that are to good to be true.

Is anyone else in Seoul right now? wanna take a trip there on the weekend?

netty33105007
New in Town

Postby netty33105007 » August 24th, 2010 5:42 am

Hi,

Are there any news about this scholarship? Did anyone attend this programme?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » August 24th, 2010 7:13 am

Date of original post: May 24th, 2009

It doesn't seem like anyone ever got back to us on this program. My guess would be that either there is nothing really to it or the participants are too busy studying or having fun to get back to us.

As others have replied already, this place looks like a small private religious university out in the boonies -- not exactly near a Starbucks, I bet. The obvious intention I see from reading the website is that they intend to use foreigners in order to provide language partners for Korean students. It might be funny I I could get accepted there because I could get along without speaking a single word of English...

Skyppr84
New in Town

Postby Skyppr84 » September 14th, 2010 12:25 am

I really like the sound of this though. I wouldn't mind helping another student with their english if I get to go to another country myself, especially a country I was planning to go to anyway. Just being there will force you to learn at least a little bit of the language, because the students there may only want you to speak english to them, but if you go somewhere else, there is no guarantee that there will be english speakers. I want to look into this more, or even just go. I'm tired of where i'm currently living and would love a change of scenery. My family is also from the country, so I'm used to that aspect as well.

oustaefff1759
New in Town

Postby oustaefff1759 » October 25th, 2010 4:37 am

ive been there 1 semester, it's far from being the best way to learn korean. Real country side totally isolated in the mountains, the korean classes are OK teachers are OK, managers of the school sucks heaps and will treat u in weird ways. Not real knowledge of relationships especially with foreigners ect.

If u want to see korea and learn korean go to seoul, hangout with korean people in the pubs bars ect it will be more expensive but the return on investment will be way better than 5 months stuck in the mountains believe me my level in korean in 1 month in seoul was better than 4 in this school.

Return to “Working & Studying in Korea (한국에서 일하거나 공부하기)”