Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Why Are You Interested in Korea?

Alexis
Expert on Something

Why Are You Interested in Korea?

Postby Alexis » June 20th, 2009 1:23 pm

Hey everyone! I hope you're all well and your Korean studies are too!

I have a question (that may have been asked here already), but why are you interested in Korea? Not just the language, but the country/culture etc etc...?

I know it may sound simple, but I'm actually very interested to hear/read your answers...

Korea has always been a part of me (having been born there etc etc :roll: ), so I've never really had to think about WHY I've had an interest in it or anything. But because of my heritage, I have mixed feelings toward Korea, and my own opinions and feelings (I feel) are often very jaded and biased. And I often find myself wondering why others have taken interest in it. What got you started? How long have you been interested in it for? What aspects of Korean culture fascinate you the most, and why?

This is your chance to rant and tell the world (well... at least the KC101 community) all about your obsessions, interests and qualms with a country I know very well, yet don't know at all.

Also: I write in my blog A LOT (for anyone who reads it, you'd be aware of this! LOL.) And I'd actually really like to write something on people's views/thoughts/feelings about Korea and such. If you DO NOT want your answers (or part thereof) mentioned in my blog, please let me know!^^

A big thankyou to anyone who replies to this topic. Believe it or not, you're doing me a great service.^^ :D
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

SiEd
Expert on Something

Postby SiEd » June 20th, 2009 6:24 pm

It was traditional music (국악), specifically 사물놀이, 아쟁 산조, 농악, and 판소리, that got me interested in Korean culture. I'm really a traditional Asian music enthusiast (considering that I spend a lot of time playing, studying, and teaching Indonesian gamelan music...), and watching a PBS special several years ago of deaf Scottish percussionist Evelyn Glennie going to South Korea to experience its traditional percussion music sparked my interest in Korean culture, as I haven't had much prior exposure to it.

To this day, I'm a big fan of 판소리 - to me, it's a bit like punk opera. :)
"I'm trying to make a pun, but it's not punny."
-Mas Widiyanto

Get 40% OFF
nickcripps
New in Town

Postby nickcripps » June 20th, 2009 10:36 pm

Well I like East Asian culture and Korea has it's own version of it. I also love Korean food.

syn70
Been Around a Bit

Postby syn70 » July 1st, 2009 4:40 am

More and more I answer, "Why not?" however, here lately I have been thinking that my desire to learn the language and culture of Korea is simply from my admiration of my own idea of Korea. As I learn more and more that ida has matured and grown, suprising me with more and more interest. I do not know what more I can say. My family asks me loads of questions and every time the answer is something that even suprises myself.

mysalsa
New in Town

Postby mysalsa » July 12th, 2009 9:06 pm

It all started when I was watching the FIFA World Cup in 2002. I was rooting for Korea because at the time, my country didn't qualify and the Korean team were trained by my favourite coach, Guus Hiddink. Throughout the tournament, some TV station were showing some (they didn't show/explain too much..) cultural aspects of Japan and Korea (they hosted the tournament together), but I only remember that they praised Kimchi and described it as delicious and very healthy, so I thought I want to try it one day.

After the World Cup, I still wasn't particularly interested in Korea and I almost forgot about Kimchi. In 2003, I began playing a computergame called 'Warcraft 3', the only computergame I've played since then. I didn't want to spend too much time on playing but I still wanted to be good at it because I hate losing, so I decided to download some replays of Korean progamers. I then noticed that Korean people (especially men) love watching games on TV and that some players in Korea earn a lot of money by playing games like 'Starcraft' or the one I mentioned above. I thought, Korean people must be crazy, in a good/fun way.

It wasn't until I have met some Korean people (some became really good friends) that I really began to love Korea. They introduced me to a lot of dishes, drinks, habits, traditions and particularities of Korea. I just love all of it! And now, I'm trying to learn the language.

Still, I have never been to Korea. I'm planning on studying at Seoul National University for one semester, but that will not be for at least another year because at this time I can't go abroad because of my university.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » July 13th, 2009 10:56 pm

I'm going to chime in on my always-so-randomly-timed posts :)

Aside from the fact that I am Korean-American, which is in somewhat of a similar boat as a lot of people here. I got into learning Korean because of a GIRL! LOL. I liked her, and she was more comfortable with speaking Korean, so I studied to try to get her. hahaha. it didn't work though.

From there it lead to K-POP, with BoA, Fly to the Sky, 휘성, and other people of that era. That got me interested, and even helped me learn Korean by studying the lyrics.

From there, it moved to Korean Movies. The late 90's and early 2000 was probably Korea's golden age in terms of cinema. Great, great stuff.

And now it's just because of family. I study to be able to communicate with my family effectively. It's really brought a really helpful and fruitful relationship with my family members. I can talk to them about things that I never could have if I never learned Korean.

Although, I'm a bit lazy these days, hehe.

I think in the end, they all have to do with some kind of relationship no? After, language is about communicating :lol:

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » July 14th, 2009 12:00 am

Keith's true colors are revealed~ lol ...all because of a girl....just like my Spanish... -_-;;

Anyways, you're awesome~!

mysalsa
New in Town

Postby mysalsa » July 14th, 2009 12:05 am

Too bad it didn't work out. Anyway, I agree with you, Keith. It's all about communicating with people, whether it be business, family, friends, lovers...You wouldn't learn a language just for yourself (to watch films, read newspapers or...?!), would you?

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » July 14th, 2009 10:51 am

Thanks so much, guys! I appreciate it. Please do keep replying if you have anything further to add!
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Why Are You Interested in Korea?

Postby Ulver_684 » July 21st, 2009 8:40 pm

Alexis wrote:Hey everyone! I hope you're all well and your Korean studies are too!

I have a question (that may have been asked here already), but why are you interested in Korea? Not just the language, but the country/culture etc etc...?

I know it may sound simple, but I'm actually very interested to hear/read your answers...

Korea has always been a part of me (having been born there etc etc :roll: ), so I've never really had to think about WHY I've had an interest in it or anything. But because of my heritage, I have mixed feelings toward Korea, and my own opinions and feelings (I feel) are often very jaded and biased. And I often find myself wondering why others have taken interest in it. What got you started? How long have you been interested in it for? What aspects of Korean culture fascinate you the most, and why?

This is your chance to rant and tell the world (well... at least the KC101 community) all about your obsessions, interests and qualms with a country I know very well, yet don't know at all.

Also: I write in my blog A LOT (for anyone who reads it, you'd be aware of this! LOL.) And I'd actually really like to write something on people's views/thoughts/feelings about Korea and such. If you DO NOT want your answers (or part thereof) mentioned in my blog, please let me know!^^

A big thankyou to anyone who replies to this topic. Believe it or not, you're doing me a great service.^^ :D

Alexis! :wink:

I got interest in Korea because of the World Cup 2002 Korea/Japan and also because of my friend Hyunwoo Sun. He is my first Korean friend in my life seriously! :P

jintana23
Been Around a Bit

Postby jintana23 » July 22nd, 2009 12:14 pm

I got interested in Korea because of the language. I was taught Korean alphabets and some greeting phrases by a missionary. I attened only two classes, but I loved the language and wanted to learn more. Unfortunately, my teacher had to go back to Korea. I had to study on my own from internet sites (not successful at that time). After I started studying the language, I had to watch movies and dramas to improve my skills. From watching these, my interest of Korean cultures started. I read a lot of books about Korean history and cultures. Now, I like everything about Korea- people, music, food and much more. I've never been to Korea, but I plan to go there someday.

owbEe
Been Around a Bit

Postby owbEe » July 23rd, 2009 4:52 am

mysalsa wrote:Too bad it didn't work out. Anyway, I agree with you, Keith. It's all about communicating with people, whether it be business, family, friends, lovers...You wouldn't learn a language just for yourself (to watch films, read newspapers or...?!), would you?

Actually, I'm learning the language for myself. I love watching Korean movies and dramas and I really want to be able to fully understand the story without the subtitles. I also want to have the feeling of fulfillment, feeling of achieving something not for somebody but for myself. It would also benefit me in the future. If I ever get to go to Korea someday. ^^

bluejus7
New in Town

Postby bluejus7 » July 24th, 2009 10:04 am

I've been watching korean dramas but it wasn't until i found Xman (korean variety show - really hilarious) in youtube that i finally want to actually learn the language. After that, i start listening to Kpop and find all this bands that i like and no turning back from then on hahahh.. Like owbEe, i learn korean so one day i might be able to watch all these korean shows without subs (although i still need to thank to all the subber out there till today :p).

I've been learning by myself for a year now but not till i found koreanclass101 about a few months ago that my korean is really improving kekek.. i think i can understand a bit now when they're talking in tv and can translate a few songs now. But still a long way to go..

Keith ssi.. i like FTTS too, too bad they're going separate ways now.

oh yeah, i love korean food too. I tried to make kimchi the other day but it wasn't successfull yet lol.. but i keep trying.. hmm.. i'm craving for ttokboki these days..
i hope i can go to korea too someday and watch my fave band in concert.. :p

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”