a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

When to change series?

Alexis
Expert on Something

When to change series?

Postby Alexis » April 23rd, 2009 8:39 am

안녕하세요! 오랜만이에요!

I just thought I'd ask about when to change listening to podcast series? I'm currently about halfway through Beginner Series II, and I'm starting to feel like I need something a bit more challenging. Aside from being sick, I think my Korean studies have gone downhill, 'cause I think I've been a bit bored. :shock: So I've been considering moving onto the Lower Intermediate lessons. But will I be missing out on important stuff in the beginner series? Should I get through them all before I move up? When are you meant to move up? I'm a bit confused and unsure of what to do...!

What has everyone else done? Advice is much needed!

Thankyou!
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

Chriss
Established Presence

Postby Chriss » April 23rd, 2009 2:16 pm

Well, I don't know what other sources you'e been using to learn Korean, but if you've mainly just used Koreanclass101, you'll miss a lot of grammar. What you can do is look through the beginner series and see how much of the grammar (and vocab) you know/don't know.

Also, if you'd like you could listen to different series at the same time. I'm following both beginner and lower intermediate now, and listening to all the newbie lessons (mainly) for reviewing.

Get 40% OFF
shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » April 23rd, 2009 4:24 pm

Well, if you listen to a series and realise there's not much new stuff you're learning, then perhaps it's time to move up. I'm at beginner level, and I really study the beginner lessons, go through the PDFs etc., but I still listen to the newbie just to get more listening practice. Sometimes I listen to newbie lessons in bed and try to write down the vocab myself without referring to the PDF - in this way I get some writing/spelling practice too.

If you think you're getting bored with just the beginner lessons, go ahead and try the intermediate as well!

syn70
Been Around a Bit

Postby syn70 » May 26th, 2009 2:41 pm

shanshanchua, Sometimes I listen to newbie lessons in bed and try to write down the vocab myself without referring to the PDF - in this way I get some writing/spelling practice too.

That is such a good idea!

gillesvdp
Established Presence

Postby gillesvdp » May 26th, 2009 3:12 pm

The thing is the barrier is not very clear between different series.

So what you might want to do is study both beginner and lower intermediate series at the same time. Both will bring you new knowledge; bot some of it will be a bit challenging, thus meeting your desire for challenge.

And definitely listening to the lessons below your normal level is a good idea. It helps to review concepts and vocabulary you already know, and on the side will bring you a feeling of: OK, this I can understand perfectly. :)

One day, a beginner lesson, the next day, an intermediate, and so on.

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”