Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Name translation

bajem
New in Town

Name translation

Postby bajem » May 19th, 2009 4:39 am

Hi, my name is Jerahmee. I'm just wondering what the Korean translation of that. Thanks in advance. :D

sdyou7
New in Town

Re: Name translation

Postby sdyou7 » May 19th, 2009 6:32 am

제라미

Join by May 6th
bajem
New in Town

Postby bajem » May 19th, 2009 6:34 am

Sorry, I'm not yet good at reading Hangul. How would you pronounce that? Thanks

bajem
New in Town

Postby bajem » May 19th, 2009 6:38 am

Oh i got it. You wrote it in Korean. I'm asking for my Korean name.

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » May 19th, 2009 6:52 am

...you don't have a Korean name, unless your parents gave you one. Korean names and western names are totally different. EG: My husband's name is Robert. So unless his parents gave him a Korean name, the only way to "Korean-ise" his name would be to write "Robert" in Korean hangul. My Korean name is "Yoon Seon", because that's what my birth mother named me. But "Alexis" and "Yoon Seon" aren't related at all - I have two names.
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

bajem
New in Town

Postby bajem » May 19th, 2009 8:09 am

I see. Thanks for explaining :) . But how come, Korean names have equal names in English?

kyuree
Expert on Something

Postby kyuree » May 19th, 2009 9:15 am

bajem wrote:I see. Thanks for explaining :) . But how come, Korean names have equal names in English?

I don't think that have.
Unless the Korean name is an English name written in Korean or a name from the bible.
Sometimes a Korean name coincidentally sounds similar to an English name.
My uncle's name is Jae-Seung so his English name is Jason (but it's not the same).

I know some Korean w/ names from the bible like Esther, Yo-Han (this sounds like the German pronounciation of John which is "Johann"), etc.
There are some Korean that have a traditional Korean name and a biblical name like e.g. David but the names are not related in any way. And some Koreans (most of all if they were born in the West) have a Western given name like Felix etc.

Like Alexis explained, normally if they have another Korean name it's just a second given name or middle name that has nothing to do w/ the Western name.

anyways, you could do it like me and just choose your own Korean name haha. My real name is Claudia.
Last edited by kyuree on May 19th, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
unfortunately having half a set of Korean genes doesn't come w/ a language gene

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » May 19th, 2009 9:15 am

I think Korean people just get given western names that sound similar to their Korean names. But, as far as I know, there's really no relation. They're different names.
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

bajem
New in Town

Postby bajem » May 19th, 2009 3:59 pm

Well thank you for your replies. And Claudia, I'm actually thinking of that :D . I want to have a Korean name. They are cool for me :D

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 19th, 2009 6:57 pm

...also, i have a few friends who have directly translatable names, but that's because their names have meanings in korean too - 서리 frost, 지혜 wisdom, 은혜 grace, 하늘 sky.. etc. those kinds of names are quite common in korean, and in that case, people will often use the direct translation as their name. my friend 지혜, however, does not go by the name "wisdom" because while that is common in korean, that is kind of strange for a name in english.

^^
안녕하세요~ 에밀리입니다~~ ^^
korean blog: http://holdfasthope.wordpress.com
youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/sendmetokorea

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 19th, 2009 8:05 pm

I wish I had a friend named Frost. That would be pretty awesome. Kinda sounds like a superhero.

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 19th, 2009 9:47 pm

random: I went to high school with a girl from Germany whose name was pronounced /Krystal Freeze/

now THAT's a comic book name.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 19th, 2009 10:01 pm

Haha, that's great! My second grade home room teacher was named Mrs. Blizzard. Maybe they're in the same crime-fighting organization.

On topic, I haven't ever thought about wanting a Korean name, personally. My name is short enough that it's pretty easy for Koreans to handle. Jeff ≈ 제프. I suppose if I settled down in Korea and published a lot of work in Korean publications, I might want one, like Brother Anthony.

bajem
New in Town

Postby bajem » May 19th, 2009 11:55 pm

Well, my nickname is pretty short too. It's Jem. But i'm thinking it's kind a awkward to say my full name (surname first) when I introduce myself in Korean. I don't like it. :D

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » May 20th, 2009 2:00 am

javiskefka wrote:I wish I had a friend named Frost. That would be pretty awesome. Kinda sounds like a superhero.

HAHAHA. :lol:

Go the superhero names. What a crack up! :lol: I wish my Korean name meant something cool like that!
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”