Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean Pop!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Korean Pop!

Postby Ulver_684 » August 15th, 2007 2:45 am

I would like to know more about Korean Pop, if anyone knows please let us know more about Korean music. Which Korean bands are famous?, share us your favorite Korean bands or music. 8) :wink:

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » August 16th, 2007 1:33 am

There are quite a lot, obviously, but I'll try to introduce one by one in the forum :D

Get 40% OFF
Zolarius
Been Around a Bit

Postby Zolarius » August 18th, 2007 2:57 pm

Super Junior (슈퍼주니어) are apparently quite popular. Referred to as SuJu or SJ, they are a 13 member K-Pop boy band.

They have a hip-hop sound and are marketed to 13-year old girls.

Their Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Junior

A music video for the band:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IeCn46qbYjE

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » August 18th, 2007 3:39 pm

Hehe interesting boy band ^^

Japtalian
New in Town

Postby Japtalian » August 28th, 2007 1:48 am

BoA sings in Japanese & Korean.

Here is the Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoA

Jacqueline
Been Around a Bit

KPOP

Postby Jacqueline » September 2nd, 2007 1:34 am

KPOP South korea has so many talented singers !

These are my favorite til this date, it's a huge list ㅋㅋㅋ: :lol:

- Male Singers:

ERU (이루)
WHEESUNG (휘성)
ALEX (from Clazziquai)
S7VEN (세븐)
TEI (테이)
PARK HYO SHIN (박효신)
JUN JIN (전진)
SHIN HYE SUNG (신혜성)
LEE MINWOO "M"
BI/RAIN (비)
KIM DONG WAN (김동완)
SUNG SHI KYUNG (선시경)
McMONG (Mc몽)
SONG HO YOUNG (송 호영)
LEE KI CHAN (이기찬)

- Boy Groups

BIG BANG (빅뱅)
BUZZ (버즈)
EPIK HIGH (에픽 하이)
FLY TO THE SKY (FTTS)
DBSK (TVQX)
SG WANNABE (SG 워나비)
FT ISLAND
TURBO (터보)
1TYM
SUPERr JUNIOR (슈퍼 주니어)
SHINHWA (신화)
VOS
SS501
G.O.D
H.O.T

- Female Singers

LEE HYORI (이 효리)
CHAEYEON (채연)
LEE JUNG HYUN (이정현)
IVY (아이비)
BOA (보아)
BADA (바다)

And the list goes on.... ㅋㅋㅋ :lol: but i'll end it here for now. ㅋㅋㅋ
Last edited by Jacqueline on June 24th, 2008 12:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » September 2nd, 2007 4:28 pm

i have a good collection from limewire.....type in korean and search music...keep what ya like. :wink:

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » September 11th, 2007 4:02 am

I'm a little behind on the k-pop scene, but one way to get back into Korean music is to watch dramas! The good ones will usually have a very good soundtrack. If the drama does well, the theme songs of those dramas usually do well :)

Also another way to get updated on Korean drama is to go to 노래방 (noraebang), which is literally "music, room" or "sing, room" - Korean style karaoke. :P

Zolarius
Been Around a Bit

Postby Zolarius » September 23rd, 2007 10:22 pm

The group Epik High, while not exactly a pop sound, are apparently quite popular in Korea. Their latest album, "Remapping the Human Soul", is fantastic.

Further Information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epik_High
http://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/%EC%97%90%ED%94%BD_%ED%95%98%EC%9D%B4

NVH12188
New in Town

Postby NVH12188 » November 13th, 2007 6:53 pm

The Wonder Girls seem to be rising in popularity. I really love their Tell Me song so you should check that out. It really just depends on what Genre you want to go into. YG Entertainment has a lot of Hip Hop R&B artist. 1TYM is a personal favorite of mine from YG. SM Entertainment has a lot more pop artist. They have a group called Cheon Sang Ji Hee who I adore. JYP Entertainment has a great artist named Lim Jeong Hee. She's been dubbed the Korean Alicia Keys by many.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » November 13th, 2007 9:08 pm

I have a couple Wonder Girl songs on my iPod and some Epik High...etc.

I like Kpop.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » December 16th, 2007 7:31 pm

i am a slight kpop fanatic, which is weird because i don't generally like pop music at all.

super junior is my favorite because even though they musically aren't amazing (and some of them can't really sing very well) they are very very entertaining. also, they are on so many tv shows! every day i can search youtube and find a new tv show that they are on to watch. and they have a lot of (mostly teenage) international fans, so there are a lot of shows with english subtitles to be found. honestly, that's been the biggest help for me with learning korean - watching super junior tv shows. that may sound ridiculous, but it works, and they are hilarious. if you want any suggestions for shows to look for, let me know and i'll post some links.

if you are wanting more information on kpop in general, i would suggest going to http://www.soompi.com and checking out the forums there. it's a kpop website for english speakers. you can find a lot of information there.

Taliana
Established Presence

Postby Taliana » December 17th, 2007 5:19 pm

I'm a huge fan of 신화 (Shinhwa), 비 (Bi, Rain) and Epik High. We're talking huge huge fan here XD; I also really enjoy Fly to the Sky and 박효신 (Park Hyoshin).

And of course I also like Super Junior and 東方神起 (Dong Bang Shin Ki, TVXQ), though Super Junior's latest album was a bit of a letdown for me, and I'd like TVXQ to stop releasing Japanese stuff and come back to Korea. Their Korean releases are so much better.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » December 18th, 2007 1:51 am

hey taliana
i am just curious what you were disappointed with in the new suju album. i thought it was great! i am certainly not trying to argue or change your mind about it or anything, just sincerely curious. i have heard that a lot of people didn't like it, but i haven't heard may suju fans that didn't like it as much as the first album. oh.. i like them a little too much for my age, perhaps. all my friends make fun of me, but i'm ok with it.
and speaking of dbsk coming back to korea... did you happen to see any footage of the concert they did in korea recently? i can't remember exactly when or what it was for, but they did a version of "love in the ice" (yes, i know it's one of their japanese songs, but it's still good) that still amazes me every time i listen to it. they are pretty incredible. in my own personal opinion, probably the most genuinely talented group that sm has (even though suju is still my favorite, haha..).
i really like ft island as well. as far as vocals go, hongki is amazing, especially for his age. i hadn't heard them until very recently but i can't get their songs out of my head.

Taliana
Established Presence

Postby Taliana » December 18th, 2007 2:40 am

Suju have a lot of older fans xD I'm 24~

Suju's 2nd album was just ... okay, before I get into it, just let me say a bit of a disclaimer here XD I have been a fan of Super Junior for some time now, I got into them just a few months after their debut.

Super Junior's first album was so fun. Yeah, most of the songs were covers, and yeah, their vocals have improved a million times since then, but ... the songs were FUN. "Life couldn't get better~ WOO!" is just one of the many fun things from that album that gets totally stuck in your head.

With the second album ... a lot of that fun was gone. 돈돈 was an amazing song, I was really surprised by it and really enjoyed it, but the rest of the album I just found incredibly boring. I cannot hum you a melody from any song other than 돈돈 ... and Marry U, but that's only because I hate that song with a passion XD;

I felt that they were trying too hard to present themselves as a "serious" band, that they were trying too much to push the fact that "Hey, we can sing now! We can have real songs now!". That's all well and good, but I like my Super Junior to be fun and happy. I don't like them droning on in mediocre ballads - which is a lot coming from me, because I am a huge sucker when it comes to ballads, I love a good ballad I really do (which is no surprise since I'm a big fan of Fly to the Sky and 박효신). But ... these ballads were just not good ballads. And there was too many of them, way too many of them. You go from awesome rock-pop, to ballad after ballad after ballad ... talk about an unbalanced album.

On one of the repackages, they added another song, 갈정 I think it was called. That song was great, and I would have liked the album more if that song had been on it.

So yeah, just overall ... I felt that they lost their "fun" edge. I know that they're older now, they need to put forward a bit more of a mature image, and I know that they were wanting to push their image as a "real" group because a lot of people were just seeing Suju as a bunch of random hot guys who didn't really have much to offer other than good looks and a few good voices and a couple of good dancers. But the way that SM Entertainment chose to push forward that "real artist" image was just a bad way. It could have been done better. An unbalanced album full of so-so ballads was NOT the way to go, and I'm disappointed in SM for doing this.

I mean, look at TVXQ. They have some really, really gorgeous ballads. You can't really compare a Super Junior ballad to a TVXQ ballad. TVXQ was designed to do ballads. Super Junior was designed to do fun, crazy pop with a couple of pop ballads here and there.

They could have pushed a serious artist image without losing their fun edge. They really, really could have.

... So that's my superlong spiel about why I don't like Suju's second album XD;; In a nutshell: I want me back some Miracle!

I haven't seen any of TVXQ's recent concert footage. I really want them to come back to Korea ;_; They do have some cool songs over there in Japan, and some really pretty ones, but I just prefer their Korean releases. Have you heard their Evergreen song, from this year's Winter SM TOWN album?? Supposedly Yoochun wrote the music and Changmin wrote the lyrics... it is incredible.

My love for TVXQ has been a bit up and down, but I have always seen them as an amazing group. There is such talent there, there really is.

F.T. Island are great! Another group I've been following since ... well, since before their official debut, actually. So young, but so great! Hongki has excellent vocals, reminds me of Pop-Rock groups like Buzz, it's the same kind of emotional, powerful vocals. I'm hoping to see the boys have more of an input into the composing, though. It will be interesting to see if they are skilled at not just playing instruments, but actually making music as well. I'm quite sure that there is plenty of hidden talent there.

Return to “Music, Music, Music (음악)”