Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean Rosetta Stone!^^

Would you like to try out Korean Rosetta Stone?

Yes
61%
No
39%

Total votes: 28

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Korean Rosetta Stone!^^

Postby Ulver_684 » February 15th, 2009 1:22 am

Hi everyone! :wink:

I just brought Korean Rosetta Stone and it's good but not like KC101! I would like to know if anyone else has try it out or has it too? I would like to know what you guys think of it? I recommend it if your a newbie like me but I don't know for other levels.

Well thank you for the time! :)

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » February 15th, 2009 1:31 am

I've heard that it gives you a good feel for learning the language intuitively. This will give you a solid foundation for getting the most out of the intermediate and above lessons. Good luck!

Get 40% OFF
Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » February 15th, 2009 2:41 am

I have it... somewhere, but haven't used it (my husband got it for free). Although I have heard good things about it. Good luck with it! Post back here and let us know how you go!!
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » February 15th, 2009 7:06 am

I had zero success with it. I genuinely tried it and wound up with nothing practical to use in an everyday conversation.

I could pull the ESL major card but it's not necessary - people will learn a language using a means that makes sense to them. I do well with self-studying a textbook coupled with hanging out with friends, and of course, KC101. If Rosetta Stone helps you then I'm somewhat jealous as all it did was frustrate me.

Please let us know of your progress as it has been over three years since I looked at the program - perhaps things have changed.

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » February 15th, 2009 3:42 pm

I think I tried out a demo. Some people say Rosetta Stone's a great way to learn a language. I guess either it clicks after a while, or it doesn't. The thing is, children learn a language that way, intuitively. But adults can learn grammar and rules and by examples, translations etc. So I don't see why these shouldn't be used as a whole package to learn Korean (and Rosetta Stone doesn't do that). And the other thing is (not sure if I'm right) - Rosetta Stone only teaches the formal speech level? So that's a minus for the product I would think.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » February 15th, 2009 10:03 pm

I got it a long time ago, the way rosetta stone does it may work for some but I was really disappointed in it. You are shown 4 pictures and given a phrase, you then click on the picture that goes with the phrase, unfortunately it doesn't go into grammar, or really teach much, you do get some listening practice.

dudeguy
New in Town

Rosetta Stone

Postby dudeguy » February 17th, 2009 8:51 am

Rosetta stone helped me when I was trying to learn how to read Korean. I got used to seeing how the syllables were formed. I also use it for recreation- when I'm bored I'll play it like a quiz show. Other than that I haven't found and practical use for it other than expanding my word recognition. Koreanclass 101 is a much better learning tool!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » February 21st, 2009 12:16 am

Hi everyone! :wink:

Thank you for your responce I got Korean Rosetta Stone in the trial period and if I'm not complete satisfafy then I can return the product and my I'll get a refund so it's okay! :wink:

Now I just installed in my computer and I haven't try it out yet, I'll let you guys know how is my process later on ok! Well thank you again for the time. :D

tommy
New in Town

Postby tommy » March 20th, 2009 5:15 am

Ulver, since you just purchased this program you're probably talking about the newest version - V3. Most of the people who responded here are probably referring to V2 when they say they used it "a long time ago", so I think it's important to differentiate between the two.

I also tried version 2 a while back and wasn't that impressed with the format. But to be honest, I'm finding V3 to be a huge step forward. I've also just started using the software and I'm quite happy with it. I plan to continue with it and start supplementing with sites like KC101 pretty soon.

I'm on unit 2 in the first lesson, what about you Ulver - how's your progress coming?

goliso
New in Town

Postby goliso » December 29th, 2009 12:14 am

Hello!
I agree with tommy. I used to use V2, and it was very formal, all differential. I liked the fact that you could do it in different ways like; work by the sound and match the picture or work by the words.
They keep that part in V3, but are extensive in the verb endings. Everything is "-세요" and "-요" like we would use more conversationally. And it does a good job of distinguishing between the two.
There is a better speaking part, reading and listening, and there is a grammar section for each lesson. Though there is no English to EXPLAIN the grammar, they give you different situations for the different grammar uses so that you can come to the conclusion yourself.

I would recommend it for beginning, but only with a background in hangul, because I know I would be lost without it.
I've been using it a while, but so inconsistently. This month, I've finally been doing a bit everyday, and along with my obsession of Korean music, I think I'm learning more by being consistent.
I would also like someone's thoughts by someone who has used it for a long time and consistently, to know if it's helped. I've been too inconsistent to see the advertised results, but I do find myself thinking in Korean a lot with what I've learned.

ALSO.
I'd like to have some input on the pronunciation. It's rather... strange to me. There's this one woman's voice that I can't stand.

Stormprincess
New in Town

Postby Stormprincess » December 30th, 2009 9:12 pm

I think as same as goliso. For absolute beginners RS is a great way, because they can hear the words properly. So, for the first steps is great. But, everyday speach not even close to that! All my housemates were Korean before, so, believe me, there is so huge difference.
So... all I can say... For the first steps rosetta is good. But after one's ears getting used with korean words, please change...
I find KC good, and like it so much, I have it on my iPod as much as I can.
My opinion anyway is, that having Rosetta "just in case" is good, near KC101, or any else learning stuff. But itself alone teach a "sterile" language, what frankly, will worth not too much, if someone goes and lives in Korea.

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”