Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean Hip Hop

tormsen
Been Around a Bit

Korean Hip Hop

Postby tormsen » May 22nd, 2008 11:43 pm

My music taste doesn't really gel well with Korean popular music, but since my friend was talking about how learning songs helped him with the flow of his English (and now he sounds like a 교포) I thought it'd be smart to do the same with Korean. So I'd like to get some recommendations of quality hip hop. My friend recommended Drunken Tiger and MC Sniper so I'm going to look into that.

Also, Korean lyrics. 인터넷중에서 어디찾을 수 있어요?

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 23rd, 2008 12:02 am

K-Rap is a bit hard to recommend for the purpose of language familiarity simply due tothe fact that the vernacular used in K-Rap is not normal. Oddly, enough, a lot of the bubblegum pop music is fairly language rich.

Don't get me wrong. I like Epik High a lot, but I can only think of one or two words/phrases that helped me through their music.

Get 40% OFF
austinfd
Expert on Something

Re: Korean Hip Hop

Postby austinfd » May 23rd, 2008 3:04 am

tormsen wrote:Also, Korean lyrics. 인터넷중에서 어디찾을 수 있어요?

Naver에 가면 ㅈ찾을 수 있어요:

You have to play around until you find the page for a particular album. Here is Epik High's most recent one:

http://music.naver.com/album.nhn?tubeid=159821

Scroll to the bottom, and you'll see a track list. Next to each song is an array of icons, one of which will display lyrics that some other user has posted. Lyrics are 가사

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » May 23rd, 2008 3:07 am

matthew254 wrote:K-Rap is a bit hard to recommend for the purpose of language familiarity simply due tothe fact that the vernacular used in K-Rap is not normal. Oddly, enough, a lot of the bubblegum pop music is fairly language rich.

Don't get me wrong. I like Epik High a lot, but I can only think of one or two words/phrases that helped me through their music.

This is a shame really. I cringe when I hear this song but I have to admit, the language is really clear and and it's pretty natural. It's actually a song I've been known to sing in a 노래방 or 2.

But I maintain that good music exists here, but I've had a hard time finding it.

MOT is pretty stellar. They remind me of radiohead in some ways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTeTdSY7X98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gMy4wOO ... re=related

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

coolyoja
New in Town

Postby coolyoja » May 23rd, 2008 7:19 pm

Yoon mirae or "T"(Tasha) is a pretty good rapper.

sassy
New in Town

Postby sassy » March 11th, 2009 9:19 am

Does anyone listen to Lee SSang?

sakufu
New in Town

Postby sakufu » April 9th, 2009 8:48 pm

I think Epik High, Drunken Tiger, and Big Bang are good.

Chriss
Established Presence

Re: Korean Hip Hop

Postby Chriss » April 10th, 2009 5:59 am

tormsen wrote:Also, Korean lyrics. 인터넷중에서 어디찾을 수 있어요?

I use melon.com. They have a lot of lyrics. You need to search for the artist and visit their profile page.

I like Big Bang. I bought their latest album and I love it. ^ ^

lingsummer
New in Town

Postby lingsummer » June 3rd, 2009 2:58 am

i love
big bang, epik high, 1TYM, etc etc..
some of my fav:
1 TYM - do you know me
mc sniper - bk love
outsider - like a man

mysalsa
New in Town

Postby mysalsa » July 12th, 2009 8:25 pm

Does anyone know MC Mong? What do you think of him? :D

iya7
New in Town

Postby iya7 » July 13th, 2009 6:04 am

ive heard MC Mong is good.

i like BigBang. and FT Island, you can easily sing along with their songs :D

evathereal
New in Town

2NE1

Postby evathereal » August 12th, 2009 2:32 am

I'm not a huge fan of K-rap, but I found a gem in 2NE1. They're a Korean girl group that was promoted at first as the girl-version of Big Bang (which many of you mentioned). So far they've got one mini-album with their two singles: "Fire" and "I Don't Care." My personal favorite is "Lollipop" (Big Bang ft. 2NE1).

imaBALLER
Established Presence

Postby imaBALLER » January 10th, 2010 11:37 pm

I know this thread was started about a year ago, but I thought I might add some information that may be useful to others in the future.

Drunken Tiger and Epik High have been mentioned. They are great. I think DT has a grittier sound. They both have several albums on ITUNES as well.

TBNY are quite good, but I think they are a little underground.

도끼 or Dok2 is a good young MC that recently released a short "southern" album. I don't own it, but from what I have heard I preferred his mixtape.

아웃사이더 Outsider is OK. I don't love this guy, but he is still good. His rapping is incredibly fast. Has 2 albums on Itunes.

Kebee is great. Has a more cruisy, laid back sound. Really nice, more organic sounding production.

Dynamic Duo are SICK. Really good stuff.

Some other acts I have heard of, but do not own are - The Quiett, MC Sniper, 리쌍, Untouchables (I really like their stuff, it's quite poppy though)

There is so much Korean hip hop on itunes now, that I actually can't afford to buy it all, but I think it's great, because it is so much easier than ordering from overseas...

By the way, I am a Korean beginner, so I can't really speak on the quality/meaning of the lyrics with these Mc's, just the sound.

muzioler
New in Town

Postby muzioler » February 21st, 2010 6:09 pm

Thats a shame that this stuff doesn't help you that much. Im a fan of rap in the states, and some of the Korean stuff is alright.

Personally my favorites are: Drunken Tiger, Outsider, the Quiett, and Jang Sa-Ik (alright, not rap... but Chillekot is my go-to 노래방 song).

Still looking for some Korean rap / hip-hop that can help me learn Korean though. To this point, its mainly just hoping that osmosis works.

imaBALLER
Established Presence

Postby imaBALLER » March 8th, 2010 10:54 am

I thought I would just post 2 new rappers that I have been enjoying listening to.

Rimi <- A female rapper. She is really good actually, really enjoying her second mixtape haven't got the first yet...

산이 San E, This guy is a bit hit and miss for me, but when he hits it's reaaalllly goood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RcoJcp1fac <- My fav San E track.

Both Rimi and San E have mixtapes out so you can download them for free, seeing as the samples aren't cleared etc.

Return to “Music, Music, Music (음악)”