a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean keyboard Characters

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Korean keyboard Characters

Postby Dave76 » May 25th, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi

My laptop just has a standard keyboard but being it is a touch screen laptop I also have a pop up screen keyboard that will adjust to installed languages like Korean and gives me the Korean keyboard. My question regards these two characters below. I notice once typed out they display properly like they are below.

Please note I noticed something else. In the forum and also in email form if I copy and past the Characters below they display properly but if I type it in MS Wordpad then it displays as the black images below with the center line above the main longer horizontal line.

/

But strangely enough on my keyboard they appear differently. The bottom half of each character is correct on my keyboard but strangely the short horizontal line on the top half is different then above.

The ones above have top horizontal lines but on my keyboard that horizontal line is actually vertical over the center as in the image below

Is there a reason for this or is the keyboard wrong in the display of these two characters or why they they different on the keyboard even though the output when pressed is proper like the above text characters (Not image)

Thanks
Dave

drivingdirections2017_232606
New in Town

Re: Korean keyboard Characters

Postby drivingdirections2017_232606 » July 5th, 2017 9:24 am

You can install again a new Korean typewriter then go to Start, select Control Panel, and click Change keyboards. In the Region and Languages window, select Change keyboard to add the input.
driving directions maps

Get 40% OFF
Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » July 5th, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks, but I have the keyboard installed was not asking how to do that!

Was asking why the difference between the key on the keyboard and the actual character. That is why the image were posted showing what I see on the keyboard as compared to how most language books display this same character!

contactus_231994
Been Around a Bit

Postby contactus_231994 » July 7th, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello,

Thanks for posting!
Dave, the image doesn't show up, could you try reposting?
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » July 7th, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Lyn

You sure as it's showing up for me is the Black/Grey image with White Hangul characters in it as I took a screen shot of the keyboard then just moved the 2 keys together to keep the size small.

Dave

contactus_231994
Been Around a Bit

Postby contactus_231994 » July 10th, 2017 11:47 am

Hi Dave,

I can see ㅊ / ㅎ perfectly, but not the file below. However, I will assume that it the top lines are written vertically rather than horizontally, right? If that is the case, both are actually correct--you can write it either way (the vertical line is a more 'older' way of writing the consonant, and the two horizontal lines are more 'modern'). Same goes for ㄱ being written at a 90 degree angle, and also with the vertical line being written diagonally from right to left.

Hope this answered your question.

Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » July 10th, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi Lyn

Strange as I see them on my end. Just out of curiosity as I have run forums myself in the paste do you have images enabled for your account? If so you might want to have the webmaster just double check as I see them displayed fine on my side.

This is the image I see

http://www.goldinblack.com/Ch%20&%20H.png

That said yes that is the characters I was referring to as my on screen keyboard has them with vertical lines rather then horizontal so just wanted to clarify why the difference between what I see in most language books and guides as compared the the keyboard.

Are most keyboards using the older style or do they vary?

contactus_231994
Been Around a Bit

Postby contactus_231994 » July 11th, 2017 2:54 pm

Hi Dave,

I can see the image through the link you provided. I hope my answer helped solve your inquiry.
As for the keyboard, it varies upon the manufacturer/period in which the computer was manufactured, so I can't really give you a clear answer on that, but on my MacBook, the lines are both horizontal.

Hope this was of help.
Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Postby Dave76 » July 11th, 2017 2:56 pm

Hi Lyn

OK Thanks! :)

Dave

team.relationships
Expert on Something

Postby team.relationships » July 12th, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your reply! We're glad your doubts were clarified.

If you have any further questions, please let us know. :wink:

Cristiane
Team KoreanClass101.com

jameshawn_233283
New in Town

Postby jameshawn_233283 » December 6th, 2017 6:43 pm

thank you guys very much for your posts and answers as i had the exact same question as OP. thanks a lot for your help. do you mind if i am going to have some other questions to ask? so far thanks for all your helps guys!

contactus_231994
Been Around a Bit

Postby contactus_231994 » December 11th, 2017 3:06 pm

Hi james,

Glad to have been of help!
Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”