a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Double Vowels

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Double Vowels

Postby Dave76 » May 19th, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi

Most the Hangul I have down pat but for some reason I am just having a horrible time remembering Double Vowels.

The ones in blue I think I have pretty much nailed down but the one in red for some reason I just can not easily remember it and seem to get it a bit confused with the character for Oae being both characters have O in them. See below for more on this

Wa - ㅘ
Wae - ㅙ
Wo - ㅝ
We - ㅞ
Wi - ㅟ
Ui - ㅢ
Oae - ㅚ

Obviously the characters for WO - ㅝ, while I assume in a double vowel the first character gets converted to a W sound the second character in this is not O but instead of it EO. Why is this pronounced as WO rather then WEO and in fact I was just relistening to it and the sound almost sounds more like WAW rather then WO or WEO

One part also that I think confuses me is with Oae the second character is I - ㅣ not E - ㅔ so while I know that E is this character ㅔand can come up with WE just fine when I do see the I - ㅣin there is does lead to a little confusion.

Thoughts that might help clarify this and make it easier to remember these last 2 characters easier??

Dave76
Been Around a Bit

Re: Double Vowels

Postby Dave76 » May 20th, 2017 3:33 pm

Little update I tried the online test again that I have been using and this morning went a lot easier.

Perhaps just writing out the post above helped clarify the difference as this morning I got both characters without much thought going into it.

Get 40% OFF
community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » May 21st, 2017 3:17 am

Hello,

Thanks for posting.
When pronouncing the double vowel 'ㅚ, one way to remember it would be that it sounds similar to the 'we' sound in 'wed', and the 'ㅢ' sound is similar (if not exact) to the 'wy' sound in 'chewy', or the 'ey' sound in 'gooey'.

Hope this was of help. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
Best,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

community.korean
Expert on Something

Postby community.korean » May 22nd, 2017 9:09 am

Hi Dave76,

Glad to hear that you were able to get the double vowels down!
Please let us know if you have any other inquiries.

Sincerely,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Learn All About Korean (한국어에 관한 모든 것)”