Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

New to Korean Food! Suggestions??????

shedrum4231
New in Town

New to Korean Food! Suggestions??????

Postby shedrum4231 » December 28th, 2010 6:53 pm

Ok, everyone! I'm about to head out next week to a Korean restaurant for the first time. Any suggestions? Where to start? I love veggies and noodles and some meat. Not crazy about any fish very much. I like spicy food and italian pastas, and can't handle chopsticks to save my life. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Angel

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » January 6th, 2011 9:54 am

Hello shedrum4231

I am Julia. Are you in Korea? or ...

As I see your preference, I guess 비빔밥[bibimbab] will be good for your first try in Korean food.

Reason 1. you don't need chopsticks, only spoon you need.
Reason 2. 비빔밥 has heaps of veggies and a little meat.
Reason 3. It's spicy!

Are you ready to try 비빔밥? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTdWuwqQ1Os

Get 40% OFF
shedrum4231
New in Town

Postby shedrum4231 » January 6th, 2011 5:21 pm

Hi Julia!
I had so much fun watching that!! lol, now I am hungry. I still haven't gotten up to Ithaca where the Korean restaraunts are here. I am on the border of New York and Pennsylvania on the east coast of the US, so it's hard, but I have found 2 places people consider to be "genuine" in terms of food. But with all this freaky weather we've been having here it's crazy! I have plans to go to Seoul in about 18 months, so I'm trying to get ready now. I can't wait! :mrgreen:
Where are you from?
Angel

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » January 12th, 2011 5:13 am

I am glad to hear that you've enjoyed watching the video. (I am from a a little small city near Seoul)

So... Finally did you go to Korean restaurant? If so, What did you have? How was it? :lol:

When are you going to Korea?

:wink:

johndramey
New in Town

Postby johndramey » March 30th, 2011 1:59 am

Little bit old, but maybe you can still see the reply.

If you like spicy, and are willing to go with kimchi or other not-quite-American things then I got plenty of choices for you. I've lived here for a while, and tried just about everything there is to (easily) try in Seoul.

부대찌게 -> Boo-day-gee-gay or Army soup, as I've seen it called, is quite delicious. It's a soup made from all kinds of different things, usually eaten with rice. Spicy, but not terribly so.

김치찌게 -> gim-chi-gee-gay or Kimchi stew. Amazing, one of the best (and easiest to find/cook) foods in Korea. Usually with meat, but can be made with tuna or other things.

비지찌게 -> Bee-ji-gee-gay or Biji stew. Another great one. Made from soy curd (the left overs after making tofu) and kimchi. Not spicy, but delicious and filling.

I'll come back and write more later, seeing as how I have to go meet a student now. Have a great one, hope this helps!

shedrum4231
New in Town

HI Julia & John!

Postby shedrum4231 » April 1st, 2011 1:48 pm

Yep, I am now a total Bibimbap freak! I like the stone bowl, and I love the spicy sauce... YUM! You two make great recommendations. I also really like the Kimchi Stew a LOT, and have found a place I try to go to every week now in Vestel, NY. My next try is going to be the Tofu Stew. I will learn how to write these names in Hangul soon........ lol! :oops:
As for when, my daughter and i were planning to go to Seoul in the summer of 2013 but it looks like we're going to get there next summer instead... and we can't wait! YAY! I've been working on the language since January and I still feel like I can't form a sentence. I can understand what I read and see here in the lessons, no problem, and I do the exercises, but I have a terrible time otherwise, trying to create words or concepts. There is no one here to talk to or work with and this makes me crazy! lol. I'm thinking of putting a sign up at my favorite little Korean restaurant and asking for a tutor.
Anyway, thanks to you both!
Angel

Return to “Food & Entertainment (음식과 엔터테인먼트)”