a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean computer applications

tgrabarczyk
New in Town

Korean computer applications

Postby tgrabarczyk » December 22nd, 2010 3:32 am

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any good computer programs that would be good to use as well to help learn korean. Particularly I have been looking at the Byki product that looks intriguing?

You would think with the amount of technological advancement these days there would be good korean language learning software out there!

감사함니다!

테드
Last edited by tgrabarczyk on December 22nd, 2010 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello tgrabarczyk,

Postby timandyou » December 22nd, 2010 5:07 am

Hello tgrabarczyk,
This is Tim from KC101.com.
I think this software can help you read and write some Korean in your computer.

Office XP Tool: Global IME (Korean)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=EN

I hope this site helps you out,
cheers,
Tim 8)

Get 40% OFF
trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » December 22nd, 2010 8:11 am

Hello tgrabarczyk (whatever your name may be)

I think you are talking about interactive software like children's learning programs right? There is a lot of great software for Korean children but it's typically 100% in Korean and assumes a certain level of proficiency exists in understanding the explanations and reading directions. If you don't have even this basic level of understanding even the simple lessons can be frustrating. Unfortunately this kind of software is sorely lacking for foreigners because it is such a small niche.

Back in the days of Windows 95 there was a learning game I remember called "Hi Korean!" but a quick google search just now revealed no such product. I will research edutainment software while I am in Korea next month and get back to you on this site.

George --aka 나영훈

tgrabarczyk
New in Town

Postby tgrabarczyk » December 22nd, 2010 1:00 pm

Thank you for the advice!
Yes, I am looking for something interactive to assist in my learning (even like a guided course to help with vocabulary and conversations). I see a few online which have been intriguing, but hard to tell whether they are worth the investment or not (I know the Pimseleur CDs were not for me).

Thanks!
테드

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » December 23rd, 2010 10:27 am

Hi Ted?

Nice to meet you!

I have tried the Rosettastone series and they were not all that helpful either. We gain a little something from all the sources but I understand not wanting to spend an arm and a leg. Of course, one of the best resources is right here at KC101. The lesson Mp3s and PDF files of all the levels and seasons far exceed any of the packaged programs I have seen or tried. Just the Mp3s from the advanced seasons from lesson 1 season 1 until the current season have provided me well over 5 hours of intense and relative Korean input. I listen to them in the car to and from work.

I am not a big fan of http://www.livemocha.com/ but they do have a number of interactive Korean learning exercises for free. Be advised that the lessons there are a little stiff and one of the male pronunciation sample voices is possibly the worst Korean intonation I have ever heard --that "native speaker" must have come from a prison camp in NK.. I will get back to this post with more information when I return from Korea in the beginning of Feb 2011

Your fellow student,

George

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » January 30th, 2011 9:55 am

Hello Again...

I have just returned from a month in Korea. I checked for edutainment software at the large book stores and the huge electronics/computer markets and came up empty. I made my best efforts and asked a lot of questions but everyone kept telling me there were no such programs. Frankly I was shocked because in English we have many series of programs and edutainment games from K-6, such as the "Jump Start" series. Good Lord my daughter knew all the next grade just by playing these fun games during the summer... As much as Korean like to push education you'd think there would be a huge selection of similar programs.

I will keep looking.

George

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello George,

Postby timandyou » January 31st, 2011 2:42 am

돌아오셨군요, 영훈님...
한국 많이 추웠지요? 올해가 무슨 46년만의 추위라나 뭐라나!???
"고생 많으셨습니다."
여기 program 에 대해서는 제가 무슨 할 말이 없네요...
그냥 영훈님께 인사만하고 갑니다.
cheers,
Tim 8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » January 31st, 2011 10:27 pm

애이 춥긴 --한국사람들 약하나 봐요 -- 시원할 정도였지요 .. 우린 (백인 사람들) 옷을 단단히 입는 법을 알죠 .. 메롱!

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello George,

Postby timandyou » February 1st, 2011 1:29 am

그래요? ㅎㅎㅎ
영훈님에게는 "시원할 정도!?" ㅎㅎㅎ
어찌됐던 다시 활동을 시작한 영훈님, "메롱!"입니다!
cheers,
Tim 8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » February 13th, 2011 12:45 am

noctony2718
New in Town

Postby noctony2718 » August 30th, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi, I do Byki along with Rosetta Stone Rosetta Stone helps a very little bit (mostly just helps you with more vocabulary which is always good but for the price no. The only good thing about paying for the Rosetta Stone Totale 4 version is you can schedule sessions with a person to actually speak Korean back and forth.) I found Byki very helpful, it helps you in all aspects, writing, reading, listening, and speaking. I would recommend it.

johansivhed4346
New in Town

Postby johansivhed4346 » July 30th, 2012 7:25 pm

In order to practice my vocabulary I made a simple program for excel as a complement to the flashcards on this site. If you want to use it you can just download the workbook on the link. You then export a wordlist from koreanclass101 and copy to the workbook, divide the data into columns (english in one column, hangul in another etc.) and press the practice button. You can choose if you want to practice from korean to english or the other way around.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwotun-Ep-RPUzJpTGFxU3AzRFE
[/url]

jaehwi
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Hi

Postby jaehwi » August 1st, 2012 8:55 am

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the program you developed!

Jae
Team.KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Korean Resources & Reviews (자료 및 리뷰)”