Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Milestone Thread

imaBALLER
Established Presence

Milestone Thread

Postby imaBALLER » March 30th, 2010 12:45 am

I have seen this done at other language learning forums. This is a thread where you can share your milestones in Korean language learning. I think it is encouraging to read about other people making progress, and also to share your own. Plus, I think we should celebrate small victories as learning another language is such a huge thing. It can be small, for example: this week I made some Korean friends, or it can be big - I have become a translator... I'll go first.

Today I finished Beginner Season 5 and tomorrow I will start on the lower intermediate lessons. Yay! It's taken me four months to get through all 5 seasons.

Recently, I have made some Korean friends in my hometown and I have really been enjoying hanging out with them and being introduced to Korean culture.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » March 30th, 2010 6:41 am

Congratulations on your advance :D

I guess my two greatest milestones were:

1. When my eyes fell down from the romanized pronunciation above to the Hangul below and I thought "No way! It can't be that simple!"

and
2. When I was living in a Korean boarding house in LA and had to move my set of expensive mechanics tools into the house garage while between jobs. I enlisted the help of my Korean roommate and we were talking in Korean and he started to get really loud:
(conversation in Korean)
동숙 친구: "You are making a mistake bringing those expensive tools into this neighborhood. A thief will surely break in and steal them!"

나 : "If you weren't talking so loud nobody would know they were here."

동숙 친구: "Who is going to hear us?"

나: "There are apartment buildings on each side with open windows."

동숙 친구: "But we are talking in Korean..."

I had forgotten we were talking in Korean... I guess my friend also thought Korean don't steal.

Get 40% OFF
imaBALLER
Established Presence

Postby imaBALLER » April 3rd, 2010 12:08 am

Wow, it would be awesome to be that fluent that you didn't realise you were speaking a second language...

Return to “Listener's Lounge (청취자들의 공간)”