Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How did you get into Kpop?

i940315
New in Town

Postby i940315 » July 16th, 2009 9:48 pm

Circa 2005/2006:

We had a computer subject assignment where in we had to embed an mp3 file in the background of a powerpoint presentation and type in the lyrics in the slideshows and actually make something like a KTV (Karaoke) out of it.

I chose a Chinese song, to release the Chinese in me (I'm an overseas Chinese' grandchild) but then I saw JTL's "A Better Day".

After months, I saw an episode of SBS's Truth Game wherein there was a "little Hyori"

The little girl is nice, she's about my age when calculated. That's when I discovered "10 Minutes" by the one she imitates, Lee Hyori.

Today I study Korean for fun and Chinese (over ChineseClass101) to again, release the Chinese in me.

xxjustjennyxx
New in Town

Postby xxjustjennyxx » July 19th, 2009 1:41 am

I am learning Korean mostly for the Korean music. I just recently got into Kpop...about 4-5 months ago. I have these Korean friends at school that would talk about Rap/Hip Hop and R&B music all the time. But then they would start talking about completely different artist that I had never heard of.

I got sooooo irritated with it that I decided to look up the group they talked about the most. Big Bang. The first video i saw by them was Haru Haru and I couldn't stop listening to the song. Then I watched more and more videos of them...and just got so addicted. lol
I like Big Bang for their Hip Hop/R&B music the most...but is it just me or does anyone else think Big Bang is going to like dance/techno/pop music?? I miss the Hip Hop/R&B Big Bang....anyways....that's another topic lol

After BB I've gotten into a little more Kpop music. Like, 2PM, TVXQ, SHINee, Wonder Girls, Epik High...etc. I like Kpop because it's different, but the same...that didnt make sense. lol Hard to explain...umm...the music is similar to American music, but the style is different.

Well that's my story =]

Oh, and a lot of ppl ask who my fav members of Big Bang are...Tae Yang and T.O.P. =D
But mostly Tae Yang!

Get 40% OFF
buugtdbgt
New in Town

Postby buugtdbgt » July 19th, 2009 5:29 pm

haha for me when istarted playing a korean mmo called nurien =3

saranghae5
New in Town

YAY!!! I'm not the only non-Korean K-Pop lover!

Postby saranghae5 » August 14th, 2009 7:57 pm

OK....I got into K-Pop in the most random of ways. Oe of my BFFs is Korean (exchange student), and an English class project was to get song lyrics and read them, etc. Hers was "So Hot" by Wonder Girls. I looked it up on the internet with subs, which led me to more Wonder Girls, which led me to K-Pop, so here I am.
I Love:
Wonder Girls
Girls Generation
SeeYa, Davichi, & T-ara (Collaboration)
Kara
BoA
IU
Park Ji Yun
After School
Son Dam Bi
S. Blush (even though they disbanded and have only one song)
and I know I forgot tons of others, plus I love pretty much whatever I stumble upon. XD
To my fellow K-Pop addicts, there is K-Pop on :arrow: last.fm!!!! :D :skorea:
An nyeong ha se yo. :)

codieb
New in Town

Postby codieb » October 4th, 2009 9:04 pm

how did i get into kpop well i like BoA a lot so i would always listen to her and then i started listening to epik high then 2PM and thats when i started to get into K-POP

Lisbeeth
New in Town

Postby Lisbeeth » December 13th, 2009 7:13 pm

I first started liseting to k-pop in December 2008. I had made a friend on gaiaonline.com and she had awesome sounding music. I asked her what the music was and she told me it was k-pop or korean music. So then one day about 2AM i went and search k-pop on youtube. a whole bunch of videos came up. she was online so I told her that i had discovered her music xD she send me the gee MV from SNSD and i was hooked. I downloaded some music to my laptop and have been listenning to them ever since. The girl and I became so close that now we consider ourselves sisters.
I also listen to:
KARA
Big Bang
Wonder Girl
DBSK
Shinee
Lee hyori
SeeYa, Davichi, & T-ara (Collaboration)
2PM
Super Junior
8Eight
ETC.

I like the music soo much that i satered listening to the many Golden bell shows. then one random day I decided that I wanted to learn Korean and i am!! : D I can't wait to be able to go to the library and download some more music. the more videos i watch on youtube the more songs i run into that i like from diff groups.
I watch korean show now on youtube and i was surprised that I could understand some. considering that i'm still on newbie lesson #1.

Deja1
New in Town

Postby Deja1 » December 14th, 2009 5:34 am

oh oh
well almost 3 years ago i was talking to my chinese friend, she used to live here in venezuela but she moved to canada. she asked me someday, " hey u like dramas"? and i said WHAT? what is that? she said asians Soap operas.. so she recommend FULL HOUSE ... rest is History... =) Funny uh..

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » December 14th, 2009 5:58 am

I recently went through and typed up a summary of my favorite Korean singers. Albeit a bit limited in scope, these are my favorite artists. Enjoy!

originally posted here

I was a choir boy. I sung in middle, high school and then in college. I can't carry a tune but I appreciate a good vocalist in any genre. People who are genuinely skilled at their craft and who can demonstrate a superb sense of control and expression...well, that makes me smile. I like Korean pop music. There are a few singers that I really like and I'd like to share them. So, from top to bottom:

알렉스 (Alex) - the male vocalist of one of my absolute favorite groups 클래지콰이 (Clazziquai). He's simply a brilliantly talented singer. I love how composed he is; never overdone and completely in control of his range and timbre. A smooth singer by all standards. Notable samples include:
알렉스 - 너무 아픈 이말 (w/ 지선)
알렉스 - 화분 (originally by 러브홀릭)
알렉스 - 데이지
클래지콰이 - Again..
클래지콰이 - Tell yourself
클래지콰이 - Color Your Soul
클래지콰이 - Gentle Giant
클래지콰이 - Be My Love
비즈니즈 - 너의 소식 (So Sick) (Feat. 알렉스)
지선 (formerly of 러브홀릭) - when Jisun departed Loveholic, I about fainted. How come someone with this beautifully crafted voice leave a perfect place to hone her creativity? Thankfully, life continued when she released a solo project which did not disappoint. Jisun has a vocal presence that is both relaxing and exciting. Her composition skills are more than enough to be a successful artist but she has to go all out and be an amazing singer, too. I'm a big fan of her work.
지선 - 롤러코스터러브 (Roller Coaster)
지선 - Windflower (featuring Alex)
지선 - 그는 널 사랑하지 않아
지선 - 어떡하죠
러브홀릭 - Maria (live)
러브홀릭 - 녹슨열쇠 (Rusty Key)
러브홀릭 - Butterfly
러브홀릭 - Sad Story
러브홀릭 - 그대만 있다면 (어느 멋진 날)
러브홀릭 - 이별 못한 이별 (내 이름은 김삼순)
러브홀릭 - Want You Hear (하나와 앨리스)
러브홀릭 - Rainy Day (기동무투전G건담)
러브홀릭 - 일요일 맑음 (가족의 탄생)
러브홀릭 - 나의 태양은 지고..
빅뱅 (Big Bang) - Easily one of the most popular groups in Korea, this handpicked and groomed boy band has a unique appeal that isn't found in other pop groups. Their focus is on bubblegum hip hop. Two of the members G-Dragon and TOP are respectable rappers in their own right which balances nicely against 승리 and 대성's versatile voices; not to mention 태양's smooth R & B voice. All are decent dancers are have put on some incredibly entertaining shows. in addition, just about all of them have solo careers and acting gigs on the side. Combine that with a great sense of humor about themselves and you have a very entertaining pop group.
빅뱅 - 하루하루 (Acoustic)
빅뱅 - How Gee
빅뱅 - GARA GARA GO (Korean version)
빅뱅 - 뷹은 노을 (Sunset Glow)
빅뱅 - 반짝반짝 (Sparkling Sparkling)
빅뱅 - Hallelujah (IRIS OST)
빅뱅 - Strong Baby
빅뱅 - Always
TOP & 태양 - 친구
태양 - 나만 바라봐
태양 - Make Love (featuring Kush)
G-Dragon - Heartbreaker
G-Dragon - Korean Dream
호란 (Horan) and Christina of Clazziquai - 호란's style is enough for me to mention. A beautiful women in her own right, her fashion and creative style are quite dynamic without going too over-the-top. Her voice is one sugary sweet sound after another. Like her counterpart in Clazziquai, her English is passable for a singer and as such, she's recorded some beautiful English language music. I must confess though that I have trouble distinguishing her voice from Alex's little sister Christina, whom frequently guest sings for Clazziquai. Therefore, possibly some of the credit goes to Christina, too.
클래지콰이 - Loverboy
클래지콰이 - Love Mode (featuring Tablo)
클래지콰이 - Tell Yourself
클래지콰이 - Take a Walk
클래지콰이 - Wizard of Oz
클래지콰이 - I will you give you everything
클래지콰이 - Cry out loud
클래지콰이 - Sweety
클래지콰이 - I will never cry
클래지콰이 - Cat Bossa
클래지콰이 - Fiesta (DAISHI DANCE remix)
클래지콰이 - After Love (Female version)
슈퍼주니어 (Super Junior) - A boy band. Sorry guys but I dig them. A thirteen member boy band, each member has their own unique talent that serves the group in some way. One guy is a comedian, another guy rap, a couple can dance well, and some are talented singers. There's not much to say other than they are typically only liked by teeny boppers but for me, the production value of their songs, dance choreography and overall stage presence is more than enough for me to get their songs stuck in my head.
슈퍼주니어 - Sorry Sorry
슈퍼주니어 - So I
슈퍼주니어 - 행복
슈퍼주니어 - You are the one
슈퍼주니어 - 니가 좋은 이유 (Why I like you)
슈퍼주니어 - 갈증 A man in love (Remix version)
슈퍼주니어 - Reset
슈퍼주니어 - You're my endless love (말하자면)
슈퍼주니어 - 아주 먼 옛날 (Song for you)
슈퍼주니어 엠 - SuperGirl (Chinese version)
슈퍼주니어 엠 - Me (Korean version)
슈퍼주니어 해피 - 요리황
슈퍼주니어 트러트 - 첫차
Tablo & Mithra of 에픽하이 (Epik High) - I'm normally not a huge fan of rap or hip hop but because of my interest in the korean language and pop music in general, I can appreciate a few hip hop artists. They tend to be a bit more commercial and less "real" hip hop but I really don't care that much. This three piece group is fronted by two exceptionally talented artists Tablo and Mithra. Both of them are talented
에픽하이 - Fan
에픽하이 - Love Love Love
에픽하이 - Mithra's Word
에픽하이 - Breakdown
에픽하이 - One
에픽하이 - 우산 (Umbrella) (featuring 윤하)
에픽하이 - the entire album of Remixing the Human Soul
클래지콰이 - Love Mode (featuring Tablo)
캐스커 (Casker) - a relatively obscure electronica group, although they have produced some notable commercial tracks, they are largely unknown outside (and inside for that matter) Korea. I really get into the jazz influenced electronic fusion style that they do so well. Some of the best ambient music available in my opinion.
캐스커 - Sweet
캐스커 - Tango toy
캐스커 - 7월의 이파네마소녀
캐스커 - Soul:Free
캐스커 - 정전기
캐스커 - Night People
캐스커 - 나비부인
캐스커 - 모든 토요일
캐스커 - 가면
윤하 (Yoonha) - as a struggling artist she tried desperately to debut in the always competitive Korean pop scene but after countless rejections, she honed her Japanese language skills and debuted in Japan. She would then later receive a sizeable fan base back in Korea after which she returned and remains a Korean pop star. Her hook is the fact that she writes most of her music and plays the piano. Oh and she's cute as a button, too.
윤하 - Gossip Boy
윤하 - 기억 (feat.타블로) - Rap Mix ver.
윤하 - Strawberry Days
윤하 - Houki Boshi (Japanese version)
윤하 - Peace, Love & Ice Cream
윤하 - 비밀번호 486 (Password 486)
윤하 - Delete
윤하 - 어린욕심 feat. 휘성
소녀시대 (Girl's Generation) - a nine girl member girl group, 소녀시대 has the same basic appeal as Super Junior - but instead of different talents to differentiate each member, the girls have their own style. One is cute, another is sexy, another is tall, another is pretty and all have had plastic surgery. Despite this, I like some of their music and even a few of them can actually sing. More than that though, their songs and dance choreography are infectious.
소녀시대 - 소원을 말해봐 (Genie)
소녀시대 - Gee
소녀시대 - Kissing You
소녀시대 - 다시 만난 세계 (Into the New World)
소녀시대 - 힘내
소녀시대 - Hahaha (Long Version)
2NE1 - This recently debuted girl group was designed to be the female Big Bang. The title is deserving as their debut was widely hyped and worth the wait. They have an all-too-unique style and strikingly dynamic personalities that complement each other well. It goes without saying that their music is well-written and entirely too catchy. All members have had a least one or two solo songs and endorsements that seem to be doing well. All in all, they are fun to listen to.
빅뱅 & 2NE1 - Lollipop
박봄 - You and I
2NE1 - I don't care (reggae version)
2NE1 - Fire
2NE1 - Let's Go Party

Honorable Mentions:
티맥스 (T-max) - They aren't the most popular group but they have certainly made a few songs that are catchy. Their call to fame was one of the three members (and promptly returned) after filming 꽃보다남자 (Boys Over Flowers) one of the most popular Korean dramas to date.
나쁜 마음을 먹게해 (Bad Heart) [Ballad ver.]
나쁜 마음을 먹게해 (Bad Heart) [Dance ver.]
Say Yes
이승천 (Lee Seung Chul) - A great singer with a distinctive Korean folk ballad style about him. One of the few ballad singers that has enjoyed success by both younger and older audiences.
소리쳐
사랑 참 어렵다
브라운 아이드 걸스 (Brown Eyed Girls) - a veteran girl group in the laughingly short term of only five years after debut but in Korea that's a dynasty for pop groups. Two of their recent songs are especially catchy.
Abracadabra
여자가 있어도 (Although You Have A Girl)
허밍 어반 스테레오 (Humming Urban Stereo) - another electronica group, much like Casker they are easy on the ears and always a pleasant choice when relaxing. The singer sounds three times cuter than a human being should sound.
Hawaiian Couple
찰랑소녀

hanakann
New in Town

Postby hanakann » December 15th, 2009 6:52 am

hey matthew, why dont u listen to FT Island, they are awesome too

fouge642
New in Town

K-Pop introduction from chinese fb friend.

Postby fouge642 » January 12th, 2010 5:08 am

I told my chinese friend on facebook that my Korean name was Park Jae Hee. He asked if I was related to Park Jae Boem (Doubt it) which i don't know because I'm adopted. So I started listening to kpop after watching Jaebeom on youtube leave the airport.

Porky
New in Town

Postby Porky » February 1st, 2010 4:39 am

Was randomly searching for old music on youtube and bumped into Loveholic's Sky MV.
perplexed@afscplay
~Kahi ♥ Bekah ♥ Jooyeon ♥ Nana ♥ Raina ♥ Jungah ♥ Uee~

Love13Miracles
New in Town

Postby Love13Miracles » February 1st, 2010 11:45 pm

uhm, hello. :]
I first got into Kpop when i was in like 6th grade.
i was lookin for stuff on youtube when i came across
슈퍼주니어'S Full House. I didnt know who they were
of course at first. so i looked them up and got hooked
pretty quick. :]

everence
New in Town

Postby everence » February 23rd, 2010 7:54 am

All my best friends are korean. I had no choice lol. I got impressed into liking kpop

Valorstyle
New in Town

Postby Valorstyle » March 10th, 2010 11:15 am

Its been about nine years for me, I was going on a field trip with my sophomore class to the library, and my best friend/sister who is hmong gave me this cd to listen to, It was JinuSean i instantly fell in love, so from there I would only listen to music from YG Ent. Then one day i got a hold of a Lee Min Woo's second solo then i branched out into Epik High, Rain, SNSD, and so many others, I'm to a point to where I don't even listen to American Music to much. You know I always felt like I was asian descent in my past life and after being submerged in the culture for so long it feels even more natural then it did the first day I listened to that JinuSean CD.

My Fam thinks I'm weird but I love it

thenightisyoung
New in Town

Postby thenightisyoung » March 10th, 2010 9:07 pm

I got into kpop a few months back when I stumbled across someone's vlog on youtube, when I was watching my friend's one. The girl was an American Korean, and her name was Hope, from what I remember. Anyway, she was awesomely funny, but after I'd watched all her vlogs, I noticed she was also a dancer. So I watched one of the dance videos she did, which was to DBSK's Rising Sun ^-^ and I fell in love with the music. And then DBSK. And then a whole lot of other KPop bands ^-^ (though DBSK are still my faves).

Return to “Music, Music, Music (음악)”