Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean spoken in "Scrubs"

SiEd
Expert on Something

Korean spoken in "Scrubs"

Postby SiEd » June 18th, 2008 11:29 pm

Has anyone seen the mini Korean dialogue from "Scrubs"?

It's pretty wince-inducing, but at least it's good to know other shows besides the usual suspect "Lost" are using Korean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYPUIq9NdmI

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » June 19th, 2008 3:24 am

Haven't seen American television these days. But I like watching the Korean on Lost. I didn't understand a word that guy said... but you see his Korean progression throughout the show.

Get 40% OFF
austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » June 19th, 2008 3:42 am

Keith wrote:Haven't seen American television these days. But I like watching the Korean on Lost. I didn't understand a word that guy said... but you see his Korean progression throughout the show.

I head that the actor really grew up in America. He was born near Busan, but moved to the states when he was really young. Consequently, his Korean is not very good, and I'm told he sort of gets ridiculed because his Korean doesn't sound so hot.. some weird mix of 사투리 and "교포말"..... When his wife speaks, I can usually get most of it...or at least follow along with the subtitles, but when he says his lines, all bets are off.... 8)

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » June 19th, 2008 5:10 am

Hahaha...the Scrubs actors get an A for effort. I have seen people on TV trying to pass for native French speakers, making me wince in the process, but I would expect better of Westerners speaking French anyway. This Korean dialogue is a brave attempt.
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Return to “Movies & Television (영화와 TV)”