Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean Science Fiction Movies

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Korean Science Fiction Movies

Postby javiskefka » June 13th, 2008 4:31 am

Have you seen any Korean science fiction movies? If so, share. I'm interested in the Korean twist on this genre.

I have seen two movies so far that I would call Korean sci-fi: Save the Green Planet! (지구를 지켜라!) and just today Natural City (내추럴 시티).

Save the Green Planet! was a great movie, and a fusion of genres. It incorporated elements of sci-fi, crime drama, horror and social critique. The essential plot is a sort of outcast and his girlfriend attempting to unravel an alien conspiracy. If you get a chance to see this film, definitely check it out. It manages to examine contemporary Korean society in a very novel fashion, warts and all.

Natural City is sort of a blend of Blade Runner (flying cop cars, streetside cup noodle stands, dystopic metropolis), The Matrix (slow motion gunfights, virtual reality) and Chobits (android girlfriend). I don't mean to simplify the film to a mere derivative of other works, by any means, but that's how I would describe it. It's a very beautiful film aesthetically, but honestly I'll have to watch it again, because I didn't understand the plot very well.

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » June 13th, 2008 5:17 pm

yeah Natural City was a good movie...I haven't seen The green planet yet. I really can't think of any other in that genre, I have heard before though that Korea doesn't really make alot of sci-fi type movies. If you do hear of any more post them here because that happens to be my favorite type of movie.... :lol:
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Movies & Television (영화와 TV)”