Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Best Drama for practicing listening skills??

smilesalot1977
New in Town

Best Drama for practicing listening skills??

Postby smilesalot1977 » April 1st, 2008 6:09 am

I want to start watching a drama series to improve my listening skills... I'm wondering if someone can suggest one...

I don't care if it is popular or if the actors are handsome...

Because I'll be watching without subtitles, I'm looking for one that...

Uses ordinary, everyday language (i.e. not historical, not about specialized topics)
Shows relatively ordinary people and culture (not the most outrageous, crazy ones)
Has a small number of main characters (I can't keep track of 500 family members)

Also, I'd love it if it wasn't incredibly overdramatic... (a personal pet peeve, and also it's hard to understand Korean when it's being sobbed or screamed most of the time)...

So I'm asking a lot... but... any ideas???

John
Expert on Something

Postby John » April 1st, 2008 11:43 am

Thats a lot of requirements, I would suggest "Coffee Prince" since it is a newer drama and not especially long. It should have newer Korean slang and such, or just pick one and start watching....good luck.

http://www.mysoju.com/the-1st-shop-of-coffee-prince/

Get 40% OFF
iynx
New in Town

Postby iynx » April 25th, 2008 2:04 pm

I'd recommend these two, they have what ur looking for and they are really good dramas!

http://www.mysoju.com/9-end-2-outs/
http://www.mysoju.com/full-house/

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 18th, 2008 3:05 am

I can vouch for "Full House" easy to watch, eng subs available on youtube (and mysoju too i think) and overall a decent drama (dare I say it? :shock: not the best drama ever? :shock: oh em gee)
비's acting isn't the best ever but its a fun drama nonetheless with minimal slowdowns with easy to understand Korean. If nothing else, the Three Bears Song is worth it, right? :)

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 22nd, 2008 4:26 am

Okay so just started and finished all of Coffee Prince in three days - whew! summer break is awesome! that's gotta be a record, right?

highly recommended drama - had plenty of what makes dramas fun/sad/touching/tense/etc

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 22nd, 2008 5:12 am

I started watching Coffee Prince but didn't get far into it. I do like it though.

Goodbye Solo was interesting, but I think it was heavy with cultural values or concepts that I didn't quite relate to or understand. So some of the characters frustrated me with their behavior. ("Why didn't she say ___? " "Why did he do that?" "Why is she allowing him to do that?" "Oh just tell her what's up for crying out loud!" ) :roll:
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Sarah
New in Town

Postby Sarah » June 8th, 2008 12:29 am

Hello

i saw a wounderful drama with English sub
:D
http://v.youku.com/v_playlist/cd00f578115o7p149.html

FlyAwayLove
New in Town

Postby FlyAwayLove » June 8th, 2008 4:57 am

Witch Yoo Hee (마녀 유희) is great. Even if I wasn't in love with the story line, I'd watch it just because I hear so many words/phrases that I've learned from this site, and I'm still in newbie lessons. I've also learned a few phrases from the show.

You can pretty much find every episode on Youtube.

Sarah
New in Town

Postby Sarah » June 10th, 2008 3:06 am

FlyAwayLove wrote:Witch Yoo Hee (마녀 유희) is great. Even if I wasn't in love with the story line, I'd watch it just because I hear so many words/phrases that I've learned from this site, and I'm still in newbie lessons. I've also learned a few phrases from the show.

You can pretty much find every episode on Youtube.

really,, thaaaaaaaaaaank u :o i will watch it

Chriss
Established Presence

Postby Chriss » June 10th, 2008 8:07 pm

I liked Golden Bride, which can be found on mysoju, but with English subtitles.

kapanak
New in Town

Postby kapanak » June 12th, 2008 1:31 am

Personally, a drama that matches all your requirements, and is the most recent and common one is in fact Coffee Prince...I highly recommend you to check it out, as it only has 17 episodes + 1 special. Full House would also be a good drama to look at. In the end, if you want something really good, but not as well matching to your requirements, check out Goong or Princess Hours.

luckynomad
New in Town

Postby luckynomad » June 12th, 2008 5:44 am

A few months ago I bought two DVD's in Busan. They are called 생생 한국어 or something like that. It uses the Drama Series, "Only You." It allows you the option of using different subtitles and it has a special feature in which you can go over individual conversations and play them over and over again. It's pretty good. I'm sure it's possible to find them online.
Autumn Tales is also pretty good. It's also free on Youtube, though it has english subtitles on it. If you don't like that, you can always cover the bottom of your computer screen or something. :wink:

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » June 12th, 2008 6:16 am

Wowwwww, Korean dramas combined with language learning! Sign me up! 8) I hope I can find that series!
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

pucca246
Been Around a Bit

Postby pucca246 » August 27th, 2008 3:45 pm

:!: oh dear!
Since we got back from Korea i have been glued to Korean dramas - a friend recommended mysoju.com ad I worked my way through Coffee Prince in 3 days - now thanks to a post above I am now hooked on Witch Yoo Hee! - the hosework is piling up but I can't resist! I even stay up till 3am :shock: - is there no cure??

I do get a little confused as sometimes they say words in different ways (or maybe it is the subbing?) but i love it! :P

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » August 28th, 2008 1:35 am

pucca,

you sound as if you're Korean! back when VHS was the way to go for Korean dramas, people would rent 10 VHS's, watch them all in one sitting, and then go back the next day to the video store all puffy eyed, but ready to rent another series

Return to “Movies & Television (영화와 TV)”