Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Seinfeld: 'The Understudy'

ssomers
New in Town

Seinfeld: 'The Understudy'

Postby ssomers » November 14th, 2008 8:40 pm

The episode, cited above, has got to be one of my favorites from the Seinfeld oeuvre. The Better Middler subplot is hilarious -- but the background details we get about George's father are nothing short of brilliant, including a MASH parody that reaches a sublime level of hilarity.

One detail we find out about Mr Costanza is that he is fluent in Korean, owing to his war experiences, affaire de coeur with a Korean woman, and his friendship with Rev. Moon.

Mr Costanza, as he tells it, ruined his chances in the country due to his inability to negotiate the local etiquette. His feet stink, and so he refuses to remove his shoes, thus offending his potential father in law.

The father swears off any chances of a marriage by saying, according to Mr Costanza's transcription, "Eno enoa juang" -- which he translates as, "This guy -- he's not my kind of guy."

Any chance of those learned in the language to give an authentic rendering (assuming there is one) of the actual hangul?

Thanks,
Sean Somers

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » November 20th, 2008 12:06 pm

hmmm... I found a clip of the episode online: http://wwwstatic.megavideo.com/ep_gr.swf?v=2K2XE7U2

The line is at -15:43. I can't make out what it is, but the episode is funny :).

Get 40% OFF
javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » November 20th, 2008 2:18 pm

And the lines from the Korean nail shop ladies were all distinct and accurate, by the way.

ssomers
New in Town

Postby ssomers » November 21st, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks for the link!

I admire the accuracy of the speech used by Asian characters on Seinfeld -- in particular, the dialogue of the Japanese characters in one episode was unbelievably funny and accurate -- a whole other subtext to the episode for those in the know.

Still hoping to get a transcription into Korean by someone, please?

Return to “Movies & Television (영화와 TV)”