Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Aug 15th - Liberation Day for Korea

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Aug 15th - Liberation Day for Korea

Postby hyunwoo » August 15th, 2007 12:44 am

Today (Aug 15th) is Liberation Day(or Independance day) in Korea.

It's a part of the sad history that is no longer too serious a problem between Korean and Japanese young people, but many older Korean people who themselves lived in the colonization period still remember the days, and naturally some of them do no like Japan very much.

But it's history, something that our ancestors had to go through and something that the people in Japan at that time had to put up with because of the decisions made by the Japanese government.

On Liberation Day(광복절 in Korean), we hang our flags out our windows and have a holiday from work and school, and from ten o'clock in the morning, there are lots of TV broadcasting going on national TV channels, like the President's speech and lots of ceremonies for paying respect to the ancestors.

But the Liberation was not really the end of the story, because the Liberation in 1945, but we had the Korean War from 1950-1953, which is where my grandmother lost her husband, only four years after she got married to him, but the war is something that we can discuss later on in the forum or in the lessons. :D

광복절 literally means "Light + Again + Festival" (光復節)

I hope this info helps!

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » August 23rd, 2007 3:22 pm

I love it when people get really patriotic and say "우리나라 만세!!!"

Get 40% OFF
steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » August 24th, 2007 11:24 pm

That reminds me that Korea is full of banners that feature slogans reminding people to do their part in the community. Unfortunately no examples come to mind right now :( . The only example that I can think of is the one here in California that says "click it or ticket" to get people to wear their seatbelts. It used to say "buckle up for safety." I guess that shows you where we are headed.
I guess I can't say 우리나라 만세, so happy liberation day (belated). :)

rashedibragimov_226816
New in Town

Re: Aug 15th - Liberation Day for Korea

Postby rashedibragimov_226816 » September 1st, 2014 9:53 am

Gwangbokjeol, also called as the Independence Day of Korea, celebrated annually on August 15, is one of the public holidays in South Korea. It commemorates Victory over Japan Day, which liberated Korea from colonial rule. Independent Korean governments were created three years later, on August 15, 1948, when the pro-Moscow Kim ll-sung was made first President of North Korea and pro-U.S. In South Korea, many activities and events happen during the day, including an official ceremony with the president in attendance that takes place at the Independence Hall of Korea in Cheonan or at the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts.

Return to “History & Tradition (역사와 전통)”