Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Historical Movie, Drama, Documentary suggestions (한국 역

matthew254
Expert on Something

Historical Movie, Drama, Documentary suggestions (한국 역

Postby matthew254 » April 7th, 2009 3:07 am

For those who don't know, I have a sordid love affair with history - particularly Korean history. I'm as nerdy as they come and I've tackled a few great books already - but I'd like to get some visual goodness, too.

I'm curious if anyone knows if there are any good movies/documentaries about:

- Hendrick Hamel
- 삼국시대 (백제, 신라, 고구려) (Three Kingdoms Period)
- 고려국 and the Mongol invasions
- 대조선국 (Joseon Period)
- 일제시대 (Japanese colonial rule 1910-1945)
- 삼일 운동 (만세운동) (March 1st)
- 5월 18일 (광주 민주화 운동) (Gwangju Uprising)

Any good recommendations? They can be dramas, movies, documentaries, etc in either Korean or English. For all I know, there's a plethora of quality films made but I just haven't taken notice. More importantly, I wouldn't know where to start. I know austin has recommended 화려한 휴가 for 5.18 which I'm in the middle of watching right now (thx BTW).

Oh, and for like minded people, I have some good Korean history dirt on some post-Korean War American POWs who defected to China, links to some stellar articles about shipwrecks and foreigners being bad in the 1800s, and a primer for all things North Korea related.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » April 7th, 2009 3:35 am

The only media I can suggest is 화려한 휴가, which is a movie about the Gwangju uprising. I don't know how historically accurate it is, but it's a great movie. I think I have already mentioned that here, though.
BTW, I posted a comment on your page about North Korea suggesting some resources that I recently came to know about.

Get 40% OFF
julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Historical Movie, Drama, Documentary suggestions

Postby julialim » December 28th, 2009 9:25 am

Hello matthew님

안녕하세요?
I would like to give you some information. :wink:
I f you are interested in Korean history, what about historical dramas?
I recommend you Korean drama such as 선덕여왕, 태조왕건, 허준, and 여명의 눈동자.
All of them are one of the most popular dramas in Korea.
선덕여왕(The Queen of Sonduck) is a story about the first queen in shilla kingdom period. She struggles with Mishil to gain power over Shilla.
태조 왕건(Wandgeon) – Later three kingdoms’ story.
허준(Heojun) - the Joseon Dynasty. Heojun wrote the Donguibogam which is the book of Eastern Medicare.
여명의 눈동자(The eye of dawn)- During the division of Korea period.

I believe that you can see the outline of Korean history with interesting stories from these dramas.
Wish you enjoy them. :P :P :P
재밌게 보세요!! 새해 마무리도 잘 하시고요!!

Noodle
New in Town

Postby Noodle » August 24th, 2010 8:09 am

I too have been looking for some documentaries, as I know very very little about Korea in general, but unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything that isnt about N.Korea :( I want some on pre-world war history but can't find anything...anyone know of some?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » August 25th, 2010 6:43 am

Hey Noodle, nice to see you here at KoreanClass101. I hope you find some good documentaries. If you get a chance watch 제중원 - a very interesting drama that is fairly accurate from a historical perspective.

On a whim I bought the whole DVD set called 한국사 from a local Korean video shop; I really should have asked about it first, because I was expecting a chronological overview of Korean history, but it just seemed to randomly highlight certain historical figures ... and not the ones you might think.

Anyway, I am watching 주몽 right now, I just started this drama and I think it's great.

Return to “History & Tradition (역사와 전통)”