a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The Meanings of "동생"

Stepnsteph
New in Town

The Meanings of "동생"

Postby Stepnsteph » July 14th, 2008 8:57 pm

Hello everyone.

I know that "동생" means "little brother", but apparently it has different meanings based on the context that it's used in.

What does it mean when a woman that you know calls you "very cute" and her "동생"? She is eight months older than I am.

She did mention that it has a very intimate feel, and another friend has told me that "it is absolutely intimate expression".

There are obviously meanings to this word that are over my head because of my limited understanding of Korean culture. However, I am not jumping to the assumption that she means something romantic with the compliments. I don't want to cause a horribly embarrassing situation by making that assumption. :lol:

I think that it will help me better understand my friendship with her if I had a better understanding of the compliment. Either way, I do know that I'm a lucky guy! :D

Thanks for any clarification.
~Steph

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » July 15th, 2008 3:42 am

동생 means "a person who is younger than the speaker"

if a korean woman calls a guy as 동생 and says he is cute, it probably means she is drawing a line so that the guy can't get over to make a romantic relationship with her.
Many korean women don't want to make a serious relationship with a guy who is younger than her in general.

But we may think she is just pulling your leg for fun.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Stepnsteph
New in Town

Postby Stepnsteph » July 15th, 2008 4:22 pm

manyakumi wrote:동생 means "a person who is younger than the speaker"

if a korean woman calls a guy as 동생 and says he is cute, it probably means she is drawing a line so that the guy can't get over to make a romantic relationship with her.
Many korean women don't want to make a serious relationship with a guy who is younger than her in general.

But we may think she is just pulling your leg for fun.

Aha, I see! This is good to know. :)

My original idea is that it is her way of saying that she is very comfortable with me and likes my company, but that it was not a romantic thing. It looks like I had a general idea of what she meant.

I will have to find a way to tease her back, but I already sometimes call her my pretty 누나. :lol:

Thanks for the info manyakum.

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » July 16th, 2008 4:40 am

How about calling her as "이모"
I think it might be a good revenge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » July 22nd, 2008 11:54 pm

manyakumi wrote:How about calling her as "이모"
I think it might be a good revenge.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I like that. I think she might find it funny. I do. :)

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”