Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Foreigners speaking Korean to Koreans...grrrr!

the_haunted_boy
Expert on Something

Postby the_haunted_boy » June 23rd, 2008 5:59 pm

Some of the Korean foreign exchange students think I'm trying to hit on them when I talk to them. One girl actually asked me if I was, just bluntly. I said no, I just want to listen to a native Korean speaker. Now I get the impression that she trying to avoid me... I think I mispronounced something that creeped her out.

HighTreason
New in Town

Postby HighTreason » June 24th, 2008 8:00 am

the_haunted_boy wrote:Some of the Korean foreign exchange students think I'm trying to hit on them when I talk to them. One girl actually asked me if I was, just bluntly. I said no, I just want to listen to a native Korean speaker. Now I get the impression that she trying to avoid me... I think I mispronounced something that creeped her out.

Or maybe she was hoping you were ;-)

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
the_haunted_boy
Expert on Something

Postby the_haunted_boy » June 25th, 2008 2:53 pm

HighTreason wrote:
the_haunted_boy wrote:Some of the Korean foreign exchange students think I'm trying to hit on them when I talk to them. One girl actually asked me if I was, just bluntly. I said no, I just want to listen to a native Korean speaker. Now I get the impression that she trying to avoid me... I think I mispronounced something that creeped her out.

Or maybe she was hoping you were ;-)

Any maybe I was ;-)

lol, I just have weird experiences whenever I try to make conversation with anyone.

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

Postby maxiewawa » June 26th, 2008 1:25 am

I met Mingyong sonsengnim yesterday at KClass International Headquarters yesterday. She kept speaking Japanese to me. I'm going to try again today. :D :D Fighting! :D :D

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » June 26th, 2008 5:50 pm

Haha Max :) Good luck!!

sarahk
Been Around a Bit

It's just not flowing!

Postby sarahk » June 30th, 2008 3:26 pm

I went to a Korean market yesterday...I wanted to find some current music to listen to. I started to browse and the sales girl came up to me, very cheerful, and said something to me so fast that I had no idea what she said. :cry:

I defaulted back to my standard reply: I can't speak Korean well. (Keith, how do you write "hangeul mal chal mot hae yo" in hangeul?)

I'm very fast at most of what I do...but when it comes to speaking Korean, I feel like my brain is trying to go through mud...

I need more conversational practice....!!
The K-dramas are helping with my comprehension...but not really with my conversation...

*sigh*

any suggestions? Today I'm going to visit a Korean church to ask about weekly lessons...

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

Postby hyunwoo » June 30th, 2008 3:35 pm

Sarahk :)

한국말 잘 못 해요. is what you want to write down. :)

or if you want to say "Please speak slowly" - you can say "천천히 말해 주세요(cheon cheon hi mal hae ju se yo.)"

But don't worry - slowly start building stock of the sentences that you can say comfortably ^^ if you can say 10 sentences very fluently, that's already a good starting point ^^ Hehe. Whenever I learn a new language, I try not to care about the things I can't say - but I only care about the things I want to say and can say ^^ - and that helps having more confidence too!

Anything you want to say in Korean, please keep asking in the forum ^^ !

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » June 30th, 2008 6:57 pm

hyunwoo wrote:Sarahk :) Anything you want to say in Korean, please keep asking in the forum ^^ !

that's no joke either Sarahk. Every one of us are learning. I encourage you to keep posting about your experiences and questions as they serve a great model for what to do (and sometimes what not to do). For me, it helps to keep things in perspective.

As far as reaching out to the church for language practice, I commend you! You're already showing self-initiative and motivation. That right there will be your strongest asset.

However, I offer a small bit of advice stolen from Austin (cause he jacks from me at least once a month :) ) He once said in an interview with the KC101 varsity team leader 현우씨 that he doesn't like to say the phrase "한국말 잘 못 해요". Why? because 1) he can speak it and 2) it shut down the conversation. Had he not said that, the speaker would have kept talking. Chalk one more experience of practicing your Korean!

I really like this advice. Even though I have a pretty distinct voice (read: bad central Texas accent) I have stopped saying 한국말 잘 못 해요 and sure enough I get more chances to speak Korean. Not only that, but the conversations last a bit longer each time. Imagine that?

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » July 5th, 2008 2:20 am

And now I shall intrude upon you all ㅎㅎ, how do you say "I am trying to learn korean" and if i wanted to say that after I said 한국말 잘 못 해요 could I add "하자만 to "I am trying to learn korean" so it would be ->

I can't speak korean well but I am trying to learn korean

SiEd
Expert on Something

Postby SiEd » July 5th, 2008 2:30 am

rooraa wrote:And now I shall intrude upon you all ㅎㅎ, how do you say "I am trying to learn korean" and if i wanted to say that after I said 한국말 잘 못 해요 could I add "하자만 to "I am trying to learn korean" so it would be ->

I can't speak korean well but I am trying to learn korean

My attempt:

한국어 잘 못 하지만 지금 배우고 있어요/있는데요.
"I can't speak Korean well but now I'm studying it/happen to be studying it."

"trying to learn X" - I have the impression that this is somewhat awkward to say in Korean. Can a native speaker confirm/refute this?
"I'm trying to make a pun, but it's not punny."
-Mas Widiyanto

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » July 5th, 2008 8:38 am

SiEd wrote:"trying to learn X" - I have the impression that this is somewhat awkward to say in Korean. Can a native speaker confirm/refute this?

It's okay. Not awkward to say.

배우려는 중이예요
배우려고 하는 중이예요
배우려고 노력하고 있어요
배우려고 노력하는 중이예요

:)

rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » July 5th, 2008 4:24 pm

Whoa four different ways, you're too good 만야구미씨!
So how would you combine one of those with "한국말 잘 못 해요"?

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » July 5th, 2008 6:02 pm

i am not sure (so someone please confirm) but i think you could say:

한국말 잘 못 하는데 배우려고 하는 중이예요
or
한국말 잘 못 하지만 배우려고 하는 중이예요

does that work?

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » July 6th, 2008 8:13 am

holdfast wrote:i am not sure (so someone please confirm) but i think you could say:

한국말 잘 못 하는데 배우려고 하는 중이예요
or
한국말 잘 못 하지만 배우려고 하는 중이예요

does that work?

I think that they are both corrct, but perhaps ~는데 is a little more commonly used. To me, ~지만 gives the impression of not only "but"; also "although" or "even so".

Whereas ~는데 indciates you want to say more information. And after asmitting that you can't speak Korean well, you proably want to explain yourself... so 는데 fits the bill...just my thoughts though!

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » July 7th, 2008 3:01 am

Good job, Emily! (holdfast)

You did it perfectly. ^^
As Austin said, ~는데 is more used in spoken language.
but ~지만 is also right grammatically.

:D

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”