Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean handcrafts search

Bouks
Expert on Something

Korean handcrafts search

Postby Bouks » April 30th, 2008 6:56 am

Some of you know I'm a jewelry maker, but I also do other handcrafts, and have recently become interested in the Korean art of "pojagi" (or bojagi) - patchwork wrapping cloths and other fabric items.

Searching the web in English, I came across only a couple of sites (two of them mostly in Japanese!). I don't really know how to search in Korean - is there some way I can find sites that feature instructions on the basics of pojagi, and maybe some free project instructions?

Someday, I hope my Korean will be good enough for me to order instruction books and kits myself, learn to do the sewing authentically, and then introduce America to this fine handwork. But for now, I just want to find some good sources for the basics. (And yes, I'll be mostly relying on Google Translator and my own experienced sewing skills! I don't imagine for a second that I'll be able to read the instructions :roll: )
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 2nd, 2008 10:00 am

Hey Bouks,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I found something on Naver.com with simple wrapping instructions. Again, not sure if this is what you're looking for. But feel free to check out the site. They got pictures :D (I didn't even bother to read the instructions). hehe

http://blog.daum.net/kmkdodo/3313953

Join by May 6th
Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 3rd, 2008 2:32 am

Actually, I was looking for materials on how to actually *sew* the fabric into patchwork...but that is a great tutorial on how to use the cloth for wrapping, thank you! I also tried to do a search on Naver (your link reminded me of Naver's existence), and came up with a couple of things.

I also happened on some Japanese sites - it seems that bojagi is hot in Japan among crafters these days, who knew?

Could you tell me some keywords I can use in the search, for example:

* instructions (on how to make something) - it looks like Japanese uses the word equivalent to "recipe", so if I search Google Translate for "instructions", I won't find anything. What term is used in Korean?

* pattern, as in sewing pattern.

* sew, sewing

* stitch

* cloth, fabric

Knowing any of these words in Korean would help me search on my own. This is pushing me to the outer limits of my Korean knowledge, but that's a good thing. I can already pick out the word "bojagi" easily from a page full of Korean text, the rest of which I don't understand at all. :D

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:

mariefrenette
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariefrenette » May 3rd, 2008 5:06 am

What is the korean word (in 한글)? I'll look for a book next time i'm in Seoul.

마리

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 3rd, 2008 5:59 am

마리 씨,

The Korean spelling is 보자기. Do you do any handcrafts? People here know about the Japanese textile arts, but not about the Korean ones. We should start a trend. ;) But I don't want to trouble you with sending a book, although your offer was very nice - 고맙습니다 !

I wish there were an Amazon.co.kr. With a certain level of Korean knowledge, it would be easy to order books from Korean Amazon. So who's up for opening Amazon's Korean branch? Keith 씨? Hyunwoo 씨? Seol 씨 is a marketing major, she should try it 8)

mariefrenette
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariefrenette » May 3rd, 2008 6:51 am

Bouks씨

Amazon.com 필요없어요 ^^

www.kyobobook.co.kr에서 찾을 수 있어요.

Search in Korean is 검색. You can find the search bar and enter the word and see mannnnnnny books about it. The problem is... i dunno if they ship internationally. So, tell me if you want me to get it and send it to you. You can just deposit money into my paypal in return

한 마리 두 마리

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 5th, 2008 7:56 am

I'm loving the community helping each other out ;) 정말 고마워요 마리 씨. Listeners like you definitely make our community one of the best little secrets on the internet ;)

Also, you can try http://g-market.co.kr - a Korean site for shopping.

Korean internet is so exclusive :P Its hard for even google to break in there!

mariefrenette
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariefrenette » May 5th, 2008 11:12 am

Keith 씨,

아니예요. 제가 한국에서 살고 있으니까 정말 행운아예요. 한국에서 서점 갈때 아주 즐거워요. (어린이 책을 자주 읽어요. ㅋㅋㅋ) 다른 나라에서 사는 koreanclass101 학생들 한국 책을 쉽게 살 수 없어서 도와주고 싶어요.

Keith 씨, 서 씨가 한국어로 'Keith"라고 얘기할때 진짜 "kiss"처럼 들려요. ㅋㅋ 재미있어요. 아마도 "뽀뽀"가 좋은 별명인 것 같아요ㅎㅎㅎㅎㅎ

이번 주말에 서울로 올라갈거예요. 혹시... 일요일에 시간이 나요? 여기서 일하는 사람들이랑 한잔 할수 있으면 정말 좋겠어요!!!

마리

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 5th, 2008 4:34 pm

Keith, I agree with you completely! Marie, thank you so much for your help. Let me know if I can get anything for you while I am in France (or from Arizona, for that matter). I expect to be in Marseille from mid June to early August for summer vacation.

Most of the books didn't feature reviews or summaries, but this one looks like a good one:

[url]http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?ejkGb=KOR&mallGb=KOR&barcode=9788985764308&orderClick=LAH
[/url]

Just to verify...Ii I am not mistaken, it looks like it features embroidery techniques as well as bojagi patchwork instructions. Is it really only about $17? That is relatively inexpensive compared to American craft books which are now around $25. How much would the shipping be (slow boat is fine)?

Shopping online in Korean is a good exercise - though I still don't understand much, I learned a couple of new terms and how to pick out Korean words on a page full of text.

마리씨, 정말고마워요!

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » May 6th, 2008 1:16 am

It may have changed recently, but I don't think foreginers can buy anything from Korean sites. You have you join the site, which usually requires a resident ID. I know Naver and the like will accept your passport, but I don't know about G-market.

Secondly, I don't think you can use a non-Korean credit card...

I'm not even sure that foreigners in Korea can buy anything on their own. A friend of mine does a fair amount of online aution-style shopping, and he has an agreement with a Korean to use his government ID number and bank info....

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 6th, 2008 5:57 am

So once you find the books on kyobobooks, you can actually purchase them on http://www.hanbooks.com/.

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 6th, 2008 1:17 pm

Hanbooks is wonderful. It's too bad I have to go looking for something obscure like bojagi, that they don't carry. I would definitely like to order from Hanbooks.com in the future. The might even take a request, if I have a title or two in mind.

mariefrenette
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariefrenette » May 9th, 2008 10:20 pm

Bouks 씨

안녕하세요? 제가 오늘 아침에 서울로 올라가는데 서점에 갈때 보자기 책을 찿을게요!
Hey, I'm going to Seoul this weekend and I will search for your 보자기 book.

화요일에 다시 연락할게요.
I'll contact you again on Tuesday (with the results)

주말 잘 보내세요.
Have a great weekend!

마리
Marie

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 10th, 2008 3:20 am

마리씨, 고마워요! Have a nice time and a safe trip!

mariefrenette
Been Around a Bit

Postby mariefrenette » May 11th, 2008 3:04 pm

Bouks 씨,

어제 보자기 책을 샀어요.
I bought your book yesterday!

주소 주세요!
Please give me your address!

Marie

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”