Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

MT!

holdfast
Expert on Something

MT!

Postby holdfast » December 31st, 2007 9:17 pm

I attend a college bible study group at a Korean church in my town, and it has helped my learning of Korean immensely. At first I was nervous (because I am obviously not Korean and I wasn't sure how everyone would react to me coming) but everyone has been so welcoming and so surprised about my interest in the language and culture. The actual church service/bible study discussion is all in Korean so I do not understand everything word for word, but I have made quite a few friends who help explain things to me when I don't understand and my understanding improves every single week.

This last weekend, I was able to go with everyone to MT! We went to a retreat center in the middle of the woods of Tennessee, and it was one of the best experiences of my life so far. We played some games (even had our own version of Star Golden Bell, which is one of my favorite t.v. shows), did some exercises to get to know each other better, cooked and ate together, and stayed up all night playing Mafia, which is indeed as fun in Korean as it is in English.

Where I live, there is not much Korean anything, so getting to speak and hear Korean for two whole days and to experience Korean culture firsthand was in invaluable experience. I probably won't get to experience anything more authentic until I actually go to Korea.

I wanted to share because I was very excited about it, and I was wondering if anyone else has had MT experience or if anyone knows more about it.

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » January 1st, 2008 2:02 am

MT? Is it an abbreviation for something?

Join by May 6th
austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » January 1st, 2008 2:03 am

You're going to have to help me out... What is MT? Ministry Training?

Spending time at a Korean Church is a great idea if you're not in Korea! What an awesome way to surround yourself with the language and culture.

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » January 1st, 2008 4:19 pm

Sorry.. I think MT stands for Membership Training... It's basically just like a retreat for getting to know people better, but they just call it MT.

As far as I know different groups of people will go (like, people who are going to be living together, or people who work together) on MT in order to get to know eachother better. I don't really know much though. I had heard of MT before, and then when we were leaving for our retreat I heard people calling it MT.

So.. Does anyone know more than that? Surely someone does...

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » January 2nd, 2008 1:14 am

Well,

I've never heard of "MT" I will tell you that Koreans do spend a lot of time in groups. It is deeply rooted in their culture. What' you're describing does happen where I work. Once a semester, all the teachers at my school take a big trip somewhere. It usually takes a couple days. They go hiking, eat together, and probably play some games, go to museums, etc... I couldn't go last time. There is very strong pressure for people to attend. It isn't mandatory, as in people who don't go are fired, but the Koreans would only miss that in the most extreme of cases. I had to take the GMAT test that weekend, so I was excused.

On the other hand, at the school where I taught in America, I could imagine only half of the faculty even being interested in such an outing...

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » January 9th, 2008 2:51 am

holdfast,

I commend you on your bravery! It takes a lot for someone to plunge themselves into an unfamiliar situation! And I'm glad that everyone was so welcoming of you and your endeavors!

Austin, you're totally on spot with the whole group centered mentality! Actually, I was talking with a friend of mine about how his company (an American company) is all about business and would rarely go out together. Whereas Korean companies have numerous group functions throughout the year. Working in a Korean company is great cause of all the great food that you get to eat... for FREE! hehe. And it's also a great way to get to know your co-workers outside of work.

That's why I'm always saying "group-centered mentality." HAHA :)

sherislick
New in Town

MT at church?!?

Postby sherislick » January 14th, 2008 6:44 am

As soon as I read that the "MT" in question was for a church group, I was a little confused. Typically, MT starts in college for most Koreans. Universities put together huge MTs so the students can get to know each other. However, usually MTs involve incredibly huge amounts of alcohol and very little sleep. (The picture of a typical MT does not fit my picture of a typical church retreat-hence the confusion. ㅋㅋ) After university, MT events continue at work, clubs, and teams. Married women more so than married men can be excused from them, because many Korean people think women need to be at home taking care of the family. Men nearly always attend MT events, regardless of their home/family status.

I have found that MTs are an acquired taste. Korean people seem to love them, but many westerners don't seem to care for them as much. (General statement-the reverse is sometimes true.) I personally don't care for them, as the age hierarchy is usually extremely strong at these functions. I have seen older people "force" younger people to do things that are not in the younger person's best interest. I have been in Korea for several years now, and overall, I love it, but MT is one of the things I just can't seem to get my brain wrapped around.^^

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » January 14th, 2008 4:20 pm

so perhaps the people i went with were only jokingly calling it MT. but it was still fun.

thank you for explaining more about MT, i really didn't know much about it before!

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » January 15th, 2008 9:30 am

Nah, Korean churches have MTs, and they're much the same as those outside the church, but with more wholesome activities.

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 18th, 2008 2:57 am

man I must be the oddball here - MT sounds like so much fun...I am in a similar situation as holdfast (American who likes Korean culture/language). But I could not attend one of these where I live because of one thing.

I'm a Buddhist and pretty much all the Koreans and/or 교포 are Christian - and usually don't like the fact that I'm not Christian. I guess the grumpy part is that I have no qualms about their belief, but in order to attend their church functions, language schools, MT, etc I pretty much have to convert. Some are fire brimstone about it while others simply rationalize/discount Buddhism and accept me so long as I admit that I'm wrong.

In no way should this be a representation of all Christian Koreans or 교포. To imply this would be ludicrous - but I have been more than somewhat discouraged from seeking out activities at Korean churches. Man, I'm so emo :oops:

I know, I know, religion is a touchy subject - but I just wanted to chime in (albeit a little late).

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 18th, 2008 12:35 pm

that seems to be the same as around here: there are quite a few korean churches in here in nashville, and most of the korean people i meet attend one of those churches. however, i have met people here from korea who are studying at university that are not christians. but here too, all of the korean funtions i have seen have been at one of the korean churches.

i know that one of the churches here does language classes, and they are open to anyone - it is not church related. i think there are only a few cities in america that have a lot of different kinds of korean things to do (atlanta, chicago, la, seattle, ny).

luckynomad
New in Town

Postby luckynomad » May 21st, 2008 2:58 pm

HA HA! Membership Training. At my Korean Public School, It's just a code word for mandatory drinking night.
For Example: Last December at the end of the school year, all of us teachers went to a coastal city together for an overnighter. As usual, all the male teachers started ganging up on me and handing me their shot glasses to drink from, one after another. To make a long story short...well actually it was short because I eventually blacked out(haven't done that in years :oops: ). Felt like 똥 all the next day.
So January roles around and we have another teacher party. I decide not to drink this time around. The female teachers are all happy that I'm not drinking, while the male teachers are all shocked and try their best to peer pressure me into drinking again. I didn't start drinking at school functions again until this month, as I realized how unfun they actually are when you're not playing by the rules.
I attended quite a few Alumni Drinking Parties with my Korean surrogate father. It's basically a bunch of old men who went to middle/High/Elementary School together, drinking and arguing about which restaurant they will hold the next bi-monthly drinking party at. It's kinda funny actually.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 22nd, 2008 2:15 am

My impression is that Korean churches have fully co-opted the MT for their own purposes. They preserve the basic framework of it, but replace the alcohol with activities that they believe would produce the kind of closeness that they want to have in their church community.

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”