Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

what is the first step to learn korean language?

cesin
New in Town

Postby cesin » June 17th, 2009 9:14 am

1 grammer
2.vocabulary
3 conversation
4 from culture
5 from history
6 else

can any one pls advice on this topic??
thanks and appreciate
Regards,
cesin lim

Alexis
Expert on Something

Postby Alexis » June 17th, 2009 12:19 pm

I'm not that experienced in languages, unlike others here (EG: HyunWoo), but I kinda think it depends on the language and/or what works for you. We all learn and work differently. However, I learn best by: learning the alphabet (if there is one); then learning basic grammar and building upon it - like building the scaffolds of a house til you have something more complete. However, others may learn differently - some people probably learn better by learning words first and building on them. Others may learn better simply by listening a lot. EG: My husband knows quite a lot of Japanese simply from having watched lots of anime, movies and simply being interested in Japan.

What I'm saying is that I think it's different for everyone. You just need to figure out what's best for you. ^_^ But however you learn, I'm finding that learning another language not only keeps your brain active, but is a very rewarding thing to do.

OK, /end rant. =P
안녕하세요! 윤선입니다!
http://seumnida.annyeong.net/ <-- Korean learning blog!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
erich
Established Presence

Postby erich » June 17th, 2009 5:38 pm

I'll just have a short note here: learning something new (languages but anything else) works best by connecting new, unknown stuff to known stuff.

Recently I've heard a Chinese phrase which immediately got stuck in my mind: Bù yòng xiè. I already knew Xie xie (thank you) and from Korean I took "부/불" like in 불편하다 and "용" like in "사용하다". Therefore: no - use - thank => you're welcome. This works for words, for grammatical structures and for cultural traits.

So again, when learning a new language, start with things that are most close to something you already know. This will obviously be different from one person to the other. And: the more you know, the easier it will be to learn knew languages...

cesin
New in Town

thanks for your idea

Postby cesin » July 9th, 2009 10:07 am

Thank Erich for your time and advice.this is a very good idea on learning something new by connecting new, unknown stuff to known stuff.

and secondly,
Alexis your advice giving me a desire to learn alfabet then learning basic grammer and buil upon that. This is clear and straight and precise. I need to figure out what best for me . I spent almost 1 month to decide how to start to learn.

now i start learning alfabet and grammer first and will follow by some words and simple phrases

All advice are very much appreciated. thanks for your ideas.

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”