Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Does you community have a "Korea Town"?

syn70
Been Around a Bit

Does you community have a "Korea Town"?

Postby syn70 » May 17th, 2009 3:19 pm

I just learned of one in GA yesterday. Doraville, GA has a large Korean community and I was excited to visit yesterday. I went to the Atlanta Korean Speakers Meetup at a cafe called Maum in Doraville, Ga. It was so fun and I got to impress the group with the bit of Korean I have learned so far here on KoreanClass101.com.

I blog my progress at http://notkoreabutitshome.blogspot.com

I would love to learn more about your communities and if you have study groups as well! Please share here or on my blog! =)

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 17th, 2009 3:56 pm

Syn,
안녕하세요 :) I really like your blog -- I have been wanting to do a similar blog project, tracking the languages I use/learn, but I am still trying to finish a massive home-reorganization project first and get a few priorities out of the way.

We don't have a specific "Korea Town" here in Phoenix, but we do have a large Korean population. It's tricky to find where they gather. There is one Korean food market, but it's a bit far from my house. The nearest Meetup group is even less convenient to me. :cry:

There are two older Korean churches, and one massive, Asian-style structure being built now that looks like it's a new church serving the Korean community. (It's a gorgeous building!) I am open-minded about spiritual topics, but not Christian, so I feel like it would be inappropriate for me to join church-related activities simply to practice language.

Looks like Skype offers the best opportunities for now.

Nice to meet you! Let's practice Spanish together too -- I need to brush mine up for my grad school program.

줄리아
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
robleeteach
New in Town

Postby robleeteach » August 20th, 2009 11:16 am

I'm a few minutes drive to KTown in Los Angeles. It's like Chinatown in San Francisco or NY. Pretty much anything that you need Korean, you can get.

I'm moving to Vegas for a few months and will miss KTown. I guess there's a strip of Korean stores (mostly restaurants) in Vegas on Spring Mountain, I think.

Obviously, LA KTown has excellent food, but I think I'll miss the noraebangs the most.

syn70
Been Around a Bit

Postby syn70 » September 23rd, 2009 7:41 pm

I really want to visit again to try authentic Korean food. So far all I have had are 라면 (ramyeon ) and 만두 (mandu) that I got from the Korean grocery store and prepared myself.

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » September 23rd, 2009 8:09 pm

i live in Jacksonville, FL and i was surprised to find that there is a large number of koreans here. We don't really have a korea town per-se but there is a little strip mall down the street from me that is slowly being taken over by korean businesses. It started out with a korean karaoke joint and a korean food market, but now there's a korean hair stylist opening up shop, and the food market opened up a restaurant inside that serves only traditional korean foods. There are also several korean churches in the area. As far as i know however, there are no organized language learning groups for Korean ;__;

Eden
Been Around a Bit

Postby Eden » September 23rd, 2009 8:12 pm

syn70 wrote:I really want to visit again to try authentic Korean food. So far all I have had are 라면 (ramyeon ) and 만두 (mandu) that I got from the Korean grocery store and prepared myself.
try jjajjangmyeon (짜짱면) That stuff blew my mind. XD If you live near atlanta, go to the H-mart. they serve all kinds of traditional foods in the food court area there.

Return to “General Culture (문화 일반)”