a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Hanja Videos

austinfd
Expert on Something

Hanja Videos

Postby austinfd » June 8th, 2008 2:30 pm

Well...

I managed to find time to make some more videos. I'm hoping I can be reasonable regular about it now... anyway, here are the first two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuCxxpLZ_Ss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEf41h4D9fs

These videos come from some books that I've talked about in another thread. I'm really just reading the stories in them to practice my intonation and accent. The stories aren't too difficult, so give it a shot and try to follow along! If you can manage to follow along to my average accent, then I guess I'm doing a good job!

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » June 8th, 2008 7:32 pm

i can understand you!

that's a nice traditional house ^^ thanks for sharing!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » June 9th, 2008 12:44 am

holdfast wrote:i can understand you!

that's a nice traditional house ^^ thanks for sharing!

Thanks holdfast... at least I'm geting trough to someone ^^

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » June 9th, 2008 2:47 am

i need to get motivated to make more videos also. it is good practice for pronunciation to hear myself...... i have a few korean childrens books, perhaps i'll make a video of me reading one of those. does that sound like a good idea? i missed the last video homework - sad. mostly because i'm really bad with numbers. you would think that i would learn numbers first and then go on to more difficult things, but i'm still reaaaaaly bad with numbers... we played bingo at korean church a few weeks back and i kept having to ask my friend what the numbers were because they were going so fast!

keep making videos austin! you are leaving korea soon, right? are you going to keep studying after that? i know you are planning on adding other languages as well.. what's next? spanish? i am just curious..

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » June 9th, 2008 4:37 am

Thank you for the new videos, Austin -- I don't understand much, but that is my shortcoming and not yours ;) Your speaking cadence sounds so comfortable. I am curious about your future plans as well.

Holdfast - I had a university class called "Memory and the Human Brain". Among many fascinating things I learned in that class, one important point was that numbers are slower to register in our minds than words, because they are each processed in a different side of the brain. The difference is much more noticeable in a foreign language. So you are completely normal 8) I struggle with numbers as well - the Korean dual system is killer. Practice, practice, practice and all that...
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » June 9th, 2008 5:11 am

I am leaving in August... actually I have less than 75 days left here!!

Hard to beleive, and yes, I have every intention of continuing to study Korean after I leave. I'm to a place where I can learn a lot on my own, which will be helpful since I'm not expecting to meet too many Koreans while studying Spanish in Gutemala!!!

I'd love to come back and work in Korea...as long as it's not to teach English :D so there's a chance that could happen after grad school.... we'll see!

shanshanchua
Expert on Something

Postby shanshanchua » June 9th, 2008 8:50 am

Austin,

If I just listen to you talk without seeing your face, I would think your Korean's pretty good. But I probably would know you are not a native-speaker. Apart from your pauses, you also sound a little heavy; whereas Korean when spoken by a native-speaker sounds very light and floating.

That's just my impressions from a beginner's point of view though!

But I'm sure you'll continue to improve if you're going to work hard like what you're doing now! :D

I'll probably take like 5 years to be anywhere near your level of fluency! :(

matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » June 9th, 2008 11:30 am

holdfast wrote:i need to get motivated to make more videos also. it is good practice for pronunciation to hear myself...... i have a few korean childrens books, perhaps i'll make a video of me reading one of those. does that sound like a good idea? i missed the last video homework - sad. mostly because i'm really bad with numbers. you would think that i would learn numbers first and then go on to more difficult things, but i'm still reaaaaaly bad with numbers... we played bingo at korean church a few weeks back and i kept having to ask my friend what the numbers were because they were going so fast!

holdfast! I too am terrible with numbers! like not just Korean numbers :)
I really struggle with the sino versus native korean numbers. I know when to use each set but I'm still counting on my hands and mispronouncing them (think 8 and 12 in native korean)

I am horrible with numbers but I still did the video homework - I was hoping to see another bad entry so I wouldn't feel alone! We can't all be superstars you know...no seriously, mine was hard - I practiced for several hours just to fumble my one line :oops:

It's okay - you'll make it up next video homework, right :roll:

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » June 10th, 2008 3:29 am

yes, i will make up for it!

and i'm bad with all numbers too - not just korean numbers. i am slightly dyslexic, but mostly with numbers. i have a hard time reading out loud, too, and sometimes i write letters in the wrong order (or backwards, or upside down). i almost didn't graduate high school because i almost failed my last math class (even though every other class was great), but it's only because numbers just dont compute in my brain. honestly, that's the only reason i haven't gone to college yet - i know i'm going to have to take math and i am not sure i'll be able to do college math. i'm not stupid - my brain just doesn't work like everyone else's, i guess.^^

my dyslexia has actually gotten worse since i have started studying korean, but it is a small price to pay. i wouldn't give up korean studying for anything.

Rizuk
New in Town

Postby Rizuk » June 15th, 2008 10:49 pm

오스틴씨~
I saw your videos and although I can't fully understand them, I get a little bit of it.
Good job on making them.
Nooo!!! You're leaving Korea! I'll take your spot ^^
Hmmm...그 시간 오면 울지마세요 ^^
Just kidding~

Yep. I'll continue to watch your vids. Have fun making some more~

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”