Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Memorizing

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Memorizing

Postby usakorjb03 » May 29th, 2008 12:55 pm

hey everyone, I was just wondering. What helps you remember Grammer? how do you study grammer,anything special u like to do. for me I try to practice with them as much as I can but hard to remember what it is I want to say right on the spot. what about vocab? what helps you increase your vocab? besides studying them all the time :)
제 이름은 문신이에요.

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 29th, 2008 3:33 pm

Hearing everything as much as possible helps, even if it's just using the line-by-line audio replay feature. Even just listening to the podcasts several times and rereading the dialogue by yourself (hangeul) helps a lot. If the whole podcast becomes boring, just listen to the dialogue itself until it sounds natural and you can practically repeat it all back yourself.

I don't know how other people learn,but over time I've discovered that the same thing happens to me with a new language. I can't say a thing for months, then suddenly, I find I can make a decent sentence. I think it's just allowing myself that time to hear, repeat, and absorb. It seems tedious, but it works.
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
matthew254
Expert on Something

Postby matthew254 » May 29th, 2008 8:09 pm

for me, it's all about the experience. be it grammar or vocab, I have an experience that links back to a new word, phrase, or grammar point.

I try to familiarize myself with a grammar point (or hanja word) and later when it happens in real conversation, it sticks.

so, I end up having a lot of embarassing stories to tell (oh man do I have some good ones) but those stories help me remember when and when not to use a particular point.

One of my favorite parts of KC101 is the voice acting. I'm here to tell you that not all language courses use them and I find them particularly helpful. When I want to say something, I end up remembering the context from either a real life situation, drama situation, or KC101 voice acting situation.

Keith
Expert on Something

Postby Keith » May 30th, 2008 3:54 am

matthew254 wrote:One of my favorite parts of KC101 is the voice acting.

Glad you enjoy them! We have a lot of fun in the studio too :)

steved
Expert on Something

Postby steved » May 30th, 2008 6:31 pm

I have found that the only way to really cement vocabulary into my brain is to use it. It seems to be a process that goes from hear a word and thinking, "I know this word but what is it again..." and looking it up or asking. And then the important part is to use that word again in a sentence of my own--apply it.

As for grammar, I am with Bouks. Usually it just takes getting familiar enough with the new constructions (like vacab). But since I am a native English speaker and Korean grammar and English grammar are so different I find that it really helps to try not to translate in my head back into English but rather just go with it. But that takes time and practice.

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”