Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

question

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

question

Postby usakorjb03 » May 5th, 2008 4:54 pm

안녕하세요 여러분!! in a 한국식당 when I wanna ask for more Rice, how would I ask. like "can I have more rice" or when asking would it be more like "more rice please" how does 밥더 주세요 sound? would that be ok or is there a more natural way of asking for more rice?

thanks in advance for the help
제 이름은 문신이에요.

javiskefka
Expert on Something

Postby javiskefka » May 5th, 2008 10:46 pm

You can stick in a 좀 to be less direct, like '밥 좀 더 주세요'.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Postby usakorjb03 » May 6th, 2008 2:22 am

could use some help again. The following is what I want to say.

I love you because you care about me
I love you because I believe you are my guardian angel

The following is what i have in korean ( i'm sure this is sloppy)

너를 사랑하니까 나를 유녕했어요.
너를 사랑하니까 수호 전사가 너를 맏어요.

so, what's wrong with the korean? cuz i kno there are a few wrongs...help me out.

thanx
제 이름은 문신이에요.

austinfd
Expert on Something

Postby austinfd » May 6th, 2008 11:08 am

usakorjb03 wrote:could use some help again. The following is what I want to say.

The following is what i have in korean ( i'm sure this is sloppy)

너를 사랑하니까 나를 유녕했어요.
너를 사랑하니까 수호 전사가 너를 맏어요.

so, what's wrong with the korean? cuz i kno there are a few wrongs...help me out.

thanx

:lol:

The word order in Korean has to be switched....

so, if you A because of reason B, you have to say

B 으니까 A 합니다 or
B 아서(아서) A 합니다 (Another way to say "because/so")

You're sentences sound more like: "Because I love you...." English is more forgiving about the order of the clauses in sentences like this. We can say " I A because of B" or "Because of B, I A." Korean doesn't allow that.

I always get them confused, but (으)니까 is best used along with a command, or proposition. Simple declaratives usually get 아서 / 어서. There might be some overlap, but I do know that you can't use (으)니까 with those commands

**The rule for 아서 / 아서 is the same for conjugating verbs. It follows the final vowel in the preceeding verb stem.

비가 오니까 우산 준비 해보세요 (It's raining, so prepare your umbrella)

김치가 너무 좋아서 항상 먹어요 (I really like kimchi, so I always eat it)

Those patterns usually get translated as "so" but I think the meaning is the same as "because" in what you want to say.

Here's my shot at translating them. I couldn't find the verb you used: 유녕하다, but a quick search on naver yeilded a bunch of possible meanings for "caring about" someome.
http://tinyurl.com/3wt3dx

너는 나에 관심이 있어서 사랑해
(Literally: Because you care about me, I love you)

너는 나의 지키는 전사인게 믿어서 사랑해
(Literally: Because I believe you are my guardian angel, I love you"
I wonder if "guardian angel" conotes the same thing....?)

***DON'T USE MY SENTENCES UNTIL SOMEONE BETTER THAN ME POSTS! ^^ I JUST DID IT AS A PRACTICE EXERCISE...I WILL ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY IF IT GETS YOU INTO TROUBLE WITH THE ABOVE MENTIONED ANGEL! :P :P

I'm making some videos!: http://www.youtube.com/user/austinfd

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Postby usakorjb03 » May 9th, 2008 2:09 am

how does this sound? :D

나는 한때 사랑이 믿어요.
제 이름은 문신이에요.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 9th, 2008 11:35 am

what are you trying to say there? you believe in a time of love, a temporary love? perhaps 한때 is not the word you are looking for?

if you wanted to say something like i believe in first love you could say: 난 첫 사랑을 믿어요. be careful of the subject/object particles as well (the way you had it written would say that love believes, not i believe).

someone, please correct me if i am wrong (:

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Postby usakorjb03 » May 9th, 2008 1:01 pm

i wanted it to be "at one time I believed in love" I see what you meant by the particles, It's hard to think straight when it's kinda late at night.
제 이름은 문신이에요.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 10th, 2008 2:17 am

hmmm.. maybe you could say something like: 나는 옛날에 사랑을 믿었어요.

that would mean something like i once believed in love - it implies a long time has passed, but i think it can mean just anything in the past... i am not absolutely sure.

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Postby usakorjb03 » May 10th, 2008 2:21 am

well that does sound alot better than what I had, I have forgotten all about the word 옛날 therefore didn't even think about it, even the english meaning didn't really pop up to mind. oh well.
제 이름은 문신이에요.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 10th, 2008 2:35 am

this is completely unrelated, but does your signature say "i am a tattoo"?

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Postby usakorjb03 » May 10th, 2008 2:41 am

yeah, ok, i changed it lol now it says what i wanted it to say.
제 이름은 문신이에요.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 10th, 2008 2:49 am

i am sorry i was genuinely curious. i didn't know if there was another meaning for 문신. is that your korean name?

somehow i always 문신 (tattoo) and 신문 (newspaper) mixed up. not sure how (perhaps because i am a bit dyslexic).

and just for the record, i am not very good with the particles either - i always end up saying the opposite of what i want to say. i'm ok when i am writing, but in conversation, i always end up saying the wrong thing. i guess because i have more time to think about it when i am typing...

usakorjb03
Expert on Something

Postby usakorjb03 » May 10th, 2008 2:53 am

I guess u can say that's my korean name...my mother (she's korean) never gave me a korean name, so when korean people ask me if I have one I say no but call me 문신. I say that because I have tattoos. 6 tats to be exact.
제 이름은 문신이에요.

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 10th, 2008 3:14 am

i don't know exactly how many tattoos i have because they all blend in together, but i probably have you beat (: my left arm is almost covered, i have some on the right as well and one on my foot. but, i was a tattoo artist for a few years, so it just kind of came with the job (and were kind of.. free..). i am not sure what kind of reaction i will get when i go to korea - being non-korean american woman with visible tattoos.... i have been told that people may look at me strangely but it won't really be an issue. and they are very bright colorful tattoos - a big pink anchor, a weird mythological fish/shark/winged sea creature, a ship (the dawn treader from the chronicles of narnia, to be exact), some stars (that i don't really like anymore) and "hold fast" (hence the screen name), among others.. sometimes i wish i didn't have any at all, but it is too late now. it would be very expensive and painful to get them removed, though i have thought about it....

sorry, this is completely off topic.

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 10th, 2008 3:46 am

Holdfast, don't feel bad...I keep mixing up similar words - for example, 사진 and 시간.

Dyslexics of the world, untie! :lol:
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”