a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Korean grammar

majaszelag4309
New in Town

Korean grammar

Postby majaszelag4309 » September 11th, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi !

I don't know if that's the right place to ask those questions... I'm sorry for that
but I have a problem using some of the grammar rules.

We had some conjunctions like -지만, -은데/는데, (으)니까, 아서/어서 and more. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between the meaning. For example, we had a sentence like this:

요즘 날씨가 아주 좋은데 토요일에 서울 공원에 갈까요?

Would it be incorrect to write:
요즘 날씨가 아주 좋아서 토요일에 서울 공원에 갈까요?

The meaning of "아서" would be "so", right? Sometimes I don't know when to write 아서/어서 and when 는데

저도 같이 가고 싶은데, 주말에는 못 가요.
And here, I don't understand why it's 싶은데, and not 싶는데. We learned that you write 은데 with adjectives and 는데 with nouns. Isn't 고 싶다 a verb which means "to want"?

그런데, 그러면, - those are also similar and I think I make mistakes while using them. And 그러지요... what on earth does it mean?

제주도에서 다음 월요일에 오니까 수요일쯤 갈 수 있을 거예요.
Just as before, I'm wondering if 제주도에서 다음 월요일에 오는데 수요일쯤 갈 수 있을 거예요. wouldn't be correct as well.

Sorry again if I clutter this forum

kc101com
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Re: Korean grammar

Postby kc101com » September 17th, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi Majas,

Don't worry about it at all! It's absolutely fine where you have left the comment to us.

Also you have good point as those only have slight difference in terms of context which would be most challenging to learn.

I will try to catch as many nuances as possible for your question in English.

And I am also assuming the way to translate Korean to English would be better than explaining by words since they are very little on differences.

요즘 날씨가 아주 좋은데 토요일에 서울 공원에 갈까요?
These days it seems like the weather is very good - would you like to go to Seoul Park on Saturday?

요즘 날씨가 아주 좋아서 토요일에 서울 공원에 갈까요?
Why don't we go to Seoul Park on Saturday since the weather these days seem very good?

저도 같이 가고 싶은데, 주말에는 못 가요.
I would LIKE to come but I can't on weekends.
: Here it means you want to do something but you can't. So you could interpret the -싶다 as in 'I would like to do sth'

그런데, 그러면 - 그런데 means more like 'however, by the way' while 그러면 is 'if so, then'.
So while 그런데 brings the contrast with the previous sentence 그러면 is more like connecting the previous sentence.

Besides '제주도에서 다음 월요일에 오니까 수요일쯤 갈 수 있을 거예요.', you could also use this sentence 제주도에서 다음 월요일에 오는데 (그) 수요일쯤 갈 수 있을 거예요. - however I would recommend to specify as that week of Wednesday that you are coming back.

These sentences also have very slight differences as well - the first sentence is quite positive as in 'Since I am coming back from Jeju Island on next Monday, I could see go on Wednesday.' while the next sentence is more likely to have the hesitance beforehand such as being asked for a week before or so. Then you could say 'since I am coming back on next Monday, maybe I could go on THAT Wednesday.'

I do understand these would be quite hard to understand in the beginning as those are very slight differences that would occur in terms of context.

If you don't understand any, please let us know so we could perhaps try to make some more examples!:)

Thank you

Madison
Team Koreanclass101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”