Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Making conversation flow?

goldenzephyr
New in Town

Making conversation flow?

Postby goldenzephyr » April 22nd, 2011 8:31 pm

안녕하세요? 저는 Qristina 입니다. 한국말 잘 못 해요. I have a question about making my Korean flow. I can say things like "I went to the store and bought a bag of bananas", "I saw my friend, but he was busy" but I don't know how to keep the flow naturally between sentences using grammar like 그렇지만, ~는데, 든요, etc. I was wondering if anyone had any tips to help me make my Korean sound less like I'm reading from a school text book?

정말 감사합니다~

규리 (Qristina)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » May 9th, 2011 3:59 pm

I'm sure you already know there is no easy way and there really are no short cuts. Following that, here are my tips:

1. "Saturation" - Input, input, input - nothing can flow OUT of you unless it has already gone IN. Unfortunately when it comes to languages it seems like for every word that flows out naturally a thousand words of input are required. So get plenty of diverse input. Also, along with lots of input of the target language attempt to reduce intake of your mother language.

2. Diverse Input - Augment book/classroom study with drama, movies, broadcast etc. - do not use subtitles except when testing your understanding of something you have already watched without subtitles.

3. Practice, practice, practice - put yourself in situations with native speakers as often as possible - if you can find a Korean church that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable you may find new friends and great opportunity to practice by attending on a regular basis. Many Korean churches now offer simultaneous translation of the service on wireless headset but I don't recommend using the translation devices if your goal is to learn the language.

4. Become Korean - Create a Korean personality in your mind - their history is your history - their culture is your culture - Talk to yourself in the target language. Describe things to yourself in the target language. Imagine and rehearse explaining everyday things to native speakers. If you create a Korean personality in your mind it is only natural that you speak Korean.

Finally, I would say "keep it fun" but a realist knows that this is not always possible. Learning can be a lot of hard work, but I compare study to exercise -- not many people really enjoy exercising but almost all people like the benefits of exercise.

So anyway, keep up the good work!

By the way, I think you are doing great and I would change what you said in your introduction to '조금 해요'

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
achillestatius3727
New in Town

Advice

Postby achillestatius3727 » May 9th, 2011 6:48 pm

니 얘기 정말 고맙습니다, trutherous씨!

오늘 저는 첫 번 째 Forum에 왔어, 이 포스트 읽기 때문에 기분이 진짜 좋습니다.

goldenzephr도 고맙습니다! 이 포스트 없어면, 제 날이 더 재미없을 덴데!

안녕!

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » May 10th, 2011 4:40 am

감사합니다~ 조지님!!
Many thanks!!

이렇게 포럼을 지켜보시는 분들이 많다니! 감격스럽습니다.

achillestatius3727 님 이제는 많은 참여 부탁 드립니다. 하하
:wink: :wink: :wink:

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » May 10th, 2011 7:14 am

achillestatius3727 님 이제는 많은 참여 부탁 드립니다. 하하
동감이에요! 근데-- 우아! 왠일인가 줄리아 선생님께서 자기 바쁘신 일과에서 포럼에 코멘트까지 하실 틈이 다 생겼을까요?

achillestatius3727님 KC101에 오신 것을 환영합니다. 글을 보니까 실력이 보통이 아니군요. 정말 '만나서' 반가워요. 저도 역시 한국어를 공부하는 사람인데 앞으로 같이 많은 공부를 했으면 합니다.

George -- 한국 이름은 '나영훈'이지만 나는 백인이에요.

:D

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”