Postby meylie » September 23rd, 2010 3:32 am

안녕하세요 (다들)!

저는 Amelie/Meylie 미니다. 반갚름니다!

^^

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 23rd, 2010 6:59 am

Hi Meylie!

It's so nice to see another student of Korean.

I'm George, a fellow student here, I also go by 영훈 Young-hoon...

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
ataraxyspace4812
New in Town

Postby ataraxyspace4812 » September 23rd, 2010 4:19 pm

Hello Amelie/Meylie,
Nice to meet you! How should I address you? Amelie/Meylie looks like 2 different names to me. :shock:

Cammie

meylie
New in Town

Postby meylie » September 23rd, 2010 4:22 pm

Hey George!

I saw many of your posts on here, you seem to be very active! I saw that you joined in Feb. did you begin learning Korean in Feb? You seem to be really good! I just started learning it though I'm listening to it through music & dramas since last December. My ears are already used to this beautiful language! :D

I should find myself a Korean name! Hehe :)

Nice to meet you too! I'm going to see you around some more, I want to practice my writing & understanding of Hangul :)

Meylie ^^

meylie
New in Town

Postby meylie » September 23rd, 2010 4:25 pm

ataraxyspace4812 wrote:Hello Amelie/Meylie,
Nice to meet you! How should I address you? Amelie/Meylie looks like 2 different names to me. :shock:

Cammie

Hey Cammie!

Actually, it's as you please. It's two different names though I sometimes go as Amelie, sometimes as Meylie.
Amelie is my real name but some people around the world found it hard sometimes to pronounce it and 'Mey' pronouced 'May'.
Anyway :D. Amelie would be just great ^^. I should find myself a Korean name! Hehe :).

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 23rd, 2010 5:25 pm

Well hello again Amelie;

Watching drama and listening to music is also a great way to gain exposure to the language. Learning this way can be fun and there are great rewards along the way, and the more effort you put into learning the greater the reward. I hope that you would also make the most use of this site and its many resources.

These days the amount of time it takes a particular person to learn a language depends almost entirely on that person, because (as you have already discovered) a wealth of study material came with the digital age and is available practically at our fingertips.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have been learning Korean quite a bit longer than joining this site and yet I consider my skill poor considering the amount of time I have studied. I guess I am active on the forums here because I am generally talkative and mostly I have a lot of enthusiasm toward continuing my Korean education... it may also be that other people have better things to do with their time.

I am a US citizen - when I started studying Korean most Americans thought Korea was that place on the M*A*S*H television show. There was no Internet, there were no cell phones, DVDs, or VHS tapes, and you could not find a "Learn Korean" book in stock at most local book stores. If you were very lucky you could find a class somewhere or a book with a casset tape. As it turned out I was very very lucky to find a room in a local Korean boarding house here in the Los Angeles area, and began attending a Korean church with some of the roommates.

As for the Korean language being "beautiful" -- well I think so - but I will teach you an expression today "제 눈에 안경" Je nun-e an-kyung --Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have found Korean to be the most beautiful language in the world --and the most ugly. Wrapping this up, let me just say that it is my sincere wish and desire for you, Amelie, that your Korean skill will soon reach the point that you fully comprehend the previous sentence. Have a great time here at KC101 - and see you around the forums!

George - AKA 나영훈

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Hello

Postby manyakumi » September 23rd, 2010 8:38 pm

Hello Amelie. :D

It's really great to know you here in this forum.
My name is Sean (김선재) and I'm a native Korean speaker learning English. ;)
Could you let us know where you are from? :)

Hope you have a great times learning Korean language here
and just feel free to use this forum when you got some questions.
There are awesome fellow users here (such as George 나영훈님, Tim and Julia... etc)
and I'm sure they are willing to help you anytime with any problems you have.
Surely I will help you as well as much as I can.

Have fun!
:wink:

Sean

meylie
New in Town

Postby meylie » September 23rd, 2010 9:25 pm

Hey Sean!

I come from Canada. More exactly, I come from the Province of Quebec :).

I'm really happy I found this site and you all seem so nice! ^^ I'll be more than glad to ask question when I have one! :)

Amelie

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello, manyakumi (김선재), George (나영훈), Cammie, an

Postby timandyou » September 24th, 2010 1:22 am

Hello everyone~~~ :P :P :P

"Hey you guys~~^^"
I am here too! This is Tim! Let me be in~~~ :o :o :o
You guys seem to have a lot of fun introducing oneself...

"Hello Amelie~~ :wink: "
you are from Canada!! - "I come from Canada. More exactly, I come from the Province of Quebec."

I love Canadian! I feel like I have two nationalities both Korean and Canadian since I have a lot of connection with Canada.
I lived in Victoria, B.C for 8-9 years. Have you been to Victoria city - the most beautiful city ever!?
You live in Quebec... I am pretty sure that you would love Victoria city if you visit there.

Personally, I'd love to know you better and help you learn Korean effectively.
Please give yourself a listen to Absolute Beginner Season 2. That season is new and I am the host of the season (you will find those lessons are so effective and fun).

I'd love to meet you throughout my lessons. (I hope)
cheers,

Tim 8)

ps. to manyakumi (김선재) & George (나영훈),
Some day we have to meet in person! Dinner and Soju is on me! (I am not a heavy drinker though).
Just thinking about that moment makes me smile~~~^^
"Thank you both~~" :P 8)

meylie
New in Town

Postby meylie » September 24th, 2010 1:39 am

Hey Tim! :D

Nice to meet you too! :)

Yes I did visit BC, actually a few times ^^. My brother lives in the West Canada so I often go there! Did you study here or just lived in Canada for work? I think I saw something about this...Oh yeah! I was curious about the Audio blog - though no I'm not going to do these lessons soon haha - but I checked the lesson notes and I think it's in your first that you talk about your English name - Tim- and how you got it!

If you want to know more about me, just ask ^^.

As for the Absolute Beginner Season 2, I actually started on the Newbie lesson. Was this the right move or should I have begun with Absolute Beginner?

I hope you'll be able to help me anyway on the forum meanwhile I reach your lessons!

고마ㅝ :P

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello meylie,

Postby timandyou » September 24th, 2010 8:41 am

:P :P :P
"Very nice to meet you meylie~~"
Oh, you've been listening to the Newbie Lesson! That's Great too! :D :o :P
I just hope that you can meet me throughout my lessons.
Those Newbie lessons are great as well.

But, after you finish listening to the Newbie lessons, please give a listen to the Absolute Beginner Season 2.

By the way, can you read 'Hangeul'?
Do you know about the Korean alphabets?
If not, study for 'Hangeul' first! It's like learning English alphabets before learning English (makes sense,right?).
Learning Japanese gets easier after studying 'Hiragana' and 'Katakana' (Japanese alphabets).
Learning English gets easier after studying English alphabets.
Learning Korean gets SUPER easier after studying Korean alphabets - 'Hangeul'.
What's more, you must know 'Hangeul' first to understand many Korean grammar rules and points.
cheers,

Tim 8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 24th, 2010 9:46 am

awe - bunch a hosers that ya ahre eh? :D

We don't do much of the maple leaf down in the lower 48 but we're ok with ya folks from the frozen north, at least we don't boo yer national anthem at the hocky games eh?

Tim, I'll take you up on the food and drinks -- but I insist on paying. And we better watch that Dr. Sean - I think ee's a tricky one 하지만 "김" 씨라서 내 원수의 가문 아니니 괜찮은 분일 거에요 ..권 씨라면 큰일나요. ㅋㅋㅋ

meylie
New in Town

Postby meylie » September 24th, 2010 2:37 pm

Hey Tim!

Yes, I do know how to write&read Hangul. I learned it about one year ago when I decided to learn Korean but unfortunately I had to stop.
I found it way easier than the French/English alphabet!

Now, how can I say 'goodbye' on the Internet? The goodbye that is like 'Goodbye and 'stay peacefully' for when you go first is kinda weird on a forum!

Amelie (AKA Meylie, sorry, don't have a Korean name XD) ^^

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello meylie,

Postby timandyou » September 27th, 2010 1:34 am

You do know 'Hangeul'!!!
GREAT!
First, do you want to have a Korean Name?
If yes, we (George, Manyakumi and me) can suggest some of Korean names for you. "right guys? " :P
Second, your name 'meylie' is fine as well. 메일리.
It's upto you!
Third, you asked "how can I say 'goodbye' on the Internet?"
Do they say 'goodbye' on the internet differently? I don't (didn't) know about that!? :shock:
All I know is that 'goodbye' is 잘가 (jal-ga) or you can say 또 보자 (ddo bo-ja) "see you again".
Thank you for your comment,
feel free to talk to us,
cheers,

Tim 8)
ps. My lessons are 'Absolute Beginner Season 2'.

meylie
New in Town

Postby meylie » September 27th, 2010 1:45 am

Hey Tim!

I'd be glad to have a korean name! Hehe. Though Meylie does work, yay ^^.

When I said 'goodbye' for the internet, I didn't meant that we had a different way, LOL! I can understand why you were so surprised! :lol:
Actually, I meant since <안녕히 계셔ㅛ> would be kind of weird and I don't know any else up to date! :)

I'm practicing my writing & my memory by writing random key words in Hangul! Hehe :).

Then, it'd be :

잘가! :)

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”