Self introduction - 안녕 하세요!

ataraxyspace4812
New in Town

Self introduction - 안녕 하세요!

Postby ataraxyspace4812 » September 19th, 2010 6:18 am

안녕 하십니까!
나는 Cammie 입니다.
반갑 습니다.

I am so happy to have found this website - it was started only in 2007?
I had wanted to continue learning Korean after back home from my student exchange programme in Korea, 안산, for about 5 months in 2003.Unfortunately there wasn't any good online learning then. I wonder if there's any Korean here from 한양 대학교? I was there at that time. ^^ 안녕하세요! ^^

Forgive me if I sometimes type the wrong words, as I often get the characters confused!
Can I know if I want to "Koreanise" my name "Cammie", should it be 캄미 or 감미?

감사 합니다!

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 20th, 2010 6:17 am

Hi Cammie - nice to meet you!

Now you found a great site to help learn and practice Korean.

I am a fellow student - name's 'George' or 영훈

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
ataraxyspace4812
New in Town

Postby ataraxyspace4812 » September 20th, 2010 6:27 am

trutherous wrote:Hi Cammie - nice to meet you!

Now you found a great site to help learn and practice Korean.

I am a fellow student - name's 'George' or 영훈

Hello George, nice to meet you too!

I saw you have many posts here with Korean characters. You must be an advanced student? :-)
I will need lots of guidance from experts like you! :D

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hello Cammie and George,

Postby timandyou » September 21st, 2010 1:53 am

:P :P :P
안녕하세요 Cammie,

First, about your name, Cammie...
캐(ca) 미(mi) - 캐미 (cami)

Second, "I am from Ansan city!"
Although 한양 대학교 is not my university, I know a lot about 안산 한양 대학교 캠퍼스.
My family has been living in Ansan city over 25 years.
I am a "EXPERT" of 안산 "Ansan"
WOW~~~!!! What a coincident!!!
So... lived in Ansan in 2003?
Okay, my question to you... "Do you know about 중앙동 (jung-ang-dong)?"
wow~~ we have a lot to talk about... haha~~ :P :P
Please feel free to ask or leave any comment here.

Why don't you give a listen to my lessons?
I think you will enjoy listening and learning Korean with me - Absolute Beginner Season 2 - those are my lessons.
I hope I can meet you throughout the lessons.
cheers,

Tim

you can also practice on the lessons by visiting - http://www.koreanclass101.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5
"만나서 반가워요 캐미!!" "nice to meet you, Cammie~~"

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 21st, 2010 7:50 am

Hi again Cammie,

I'm just adding a little comment because after reading Tim's sincere greeting I find I am still laughing over this:

First, about your name, Cammie...
캐(ca) 미(mi) - 캐미 (cami)

OK --nice job Tim, but ... 캐미 sounds an awful lot like 개미 and I don't really want to be the first one to point out that "개미" means ANT in Korean! Pu-hahahaha :lol: --sorry

I'm not laughing at you Cammie -- but at Tim's Hangulization of your name because 캐미 and 개미 are so similar.

The problem is Korean does not the vowel sound of 'a' in 'cat,' the sound in between short A and long A

However, "Cammie" is typically a variant of Camilla, of Latin origin, and in Roman lore was the name of a Warrior Maiden and Queen... I wonder if we should just call you 가미(可美) 여왕 :?:

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » September 21st, 2010 9:51 am

First of all,
I should say hello to Cammie. :)
Hi, Cammie!
My name is Sean and I'm a native Korean speaker.
Glad to know you here in the forum.

trutherous wrote:OK --nice job Tim, but ... 캐미 sounds an awful lot like 개미 and I don't really want to be the first one to point out that "개미" means ANT in Korean! Pu-hahahaha :lol: --sorry

I'm not laughing at you Cammie -- but at Tim's Hangulization of your name because 캐미 and 개미 are so similar.

I think it matters only to people using English.
Because 개미 and 캐미 sounds very similar to you,
however we Koreans don't feel the same nuances when to hear both two.
They are totally different words to the native Koreans and 캐미 doesn't remind us of 개미 at all.

So, you can choose 캐미 or 카미 for your name without a worry of being teased in Korea.
:wink:

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 21st, 2010 6:35 pm

They are totally different words to the native Koreans and 캐미 doesn't remind us of 개미 at all.

hmmm? Dr. Sean, I respectfully digress (although I do like your suggestion of 카미)

Ok, here is the pronunciation breakdown: CLICK here for sound file

캐미 is 'Kay-mi'
and
개미 is 'Gay-mi'

and
가미 is 'gah-mi' - which in my opinion is closer to 'Cammie' than 'Kay-mi' and eliminates possible confusion with ANT --but you be the judge.

Introduce yourself in everyday conversation to Koreans saying "내 이름은 캐미입니다" and see what they hear.

내 말이 틀렸어요?

The other issue with a two syllable foreign name in Hangul is whether or not there are any similar names in use, if there are no similar names in use people often think of the first thing that comes to mind that is similar or close sounding. This coupled with the fact that a foreigner may have an accent, or less than perfect pronunciation, can easily lead to confusion on the part of the listener.

As for Koreans not teasing about names - I guess maybe they don't tease girls... however my English name is George -- for which Korean pronunciation is typically 조지 or 저지 ... and I am not even going to explain what kind of teasing I got over that. Needless to say I use my Korean name '영훈' instead.

timandyou
Expert on Something

Hey guys~~^^

Postby timandyou » September 22nd, 2010 1:39 am

Hello 신 & 영훈,
Why don't we let Cammie decide her name!?

You want to know the real funny thing!!??
My Korean name is 황영회. Sounds similar to what!??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
hint? 매년 2-3월에는 신입 학생들이 학교에 들어갑니다.
그들이 학교에 들어가면 선배들이 뭘 하지요??

신입생 "환영회"!!!

하하하~~~ :D :P :o :lol:
But still, I love my Korean name - 황영회.
I appreciate both of you.
best,

Tim 8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 22nd, 2010 7:09 am

하하하 I love it Tim! -your name I mean.

Actually I like Cammie's versions "캄미" and "감미" very much.. I think the latter "감미" is best because of the softer ㄱ consonant sound and the short 'ah' sound, being that Cammie is from the Latin Camilla which has the short ä pronunciation like "아(ah)," although most Americans pronounce the 'a' in Cammie like æ in 'at' or 'cat,' which unfortunately cannot be adequately expressed in Hangul because it falls right in between 아 and 얘. Also, I think very beautiful Hanja meaning can be found for 감미.

I apologize to seem stubborn here... I'm not trying to decide Cammie's name for her but I should hope she would be aware of any possible confusion with other meanings --you know like Koreans who have the name 수미 (Soo-mi), which means "beautiful water" but in English the words 'sue me' have a humorous legal counterpart. Anyway, 캐미 struck me funny, especially since I misread what you wrote the first time; as I read 캐 my eyes missed the little extra "-" on "ㄱ" which should have made "ㅋ" (yeah I know it's actually ㄱ+ㅎ=ㅋ (or so 주시경 선생님 would have us believe) --anyway it's not that I don't know, but I just am somewhat dyslexic like that so I read it "개미" the first time.

Of course nobody makes fun of names these days :roll: .. except the 3 Koreans my age (50+) that I spent a night together out on the town last weekend... I thought after 26 years of Koreans joking about my name being "조지" I had finally lived to see the last of that kind of teasing, but here it was again .. the night started with 존댓말 but at their urging it transitioned to 반말 because we were now "친구" 하하 ㅋㅋ "애~이 '예'가 뭐야...친구들끼리? '응 그래' 해야지" "조지 조지, 너 '좆이' 뭔지 알어?" .. "지금 내 이름을 갖고 놀리고 있어?" .. "그래.. 어째서?" "커 참 대신 영훈이라고 불러 줘..." well haha, no I wasn't drinking but ah.. you can guess about them.

Ok -- on to bigger and better things -- sometime in the next 12 months I will be in Korea again and I'm going to be looking for all of you -- especially that Dr. Sean -- I want to have a drink with him at a 포장마차 and get into a fight heheheeh :twisted: puhahaha 한 번 해 보고 싶은 일이에요..체험으로

Happy Chusuk!

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » September 22nd, 2010 8:53 am

trutherous wrote:캐미 is 'Kay-mi'
and
개미 is 'Gay-mi'
and
가미 is 'gah-mi' - which in my opinion is closer to 'Cammie' than 'Kay-mi' and eliminates possible confusion with ANT --but you be the judge.

Introduce yourself in everyday conversation to Koreans saying "내 이름은 캐미입니다" and see what they hear.

내 말이 틀렸어요?

George,
I totally do respect and agree with your opinion.
What I said was not the matter of which one is closer to the real pronunciation.
Just.. that we don't get confused between 캐미 and 개미. That's all.
;)

And I don't want you all to regard me as a judge.
I'm just giving my opinion to you as one of native Korean speakers.

trutherous wrote:Ok -- on to bigger and better things -- sometime in the next 12 months I will be in Korea again and I'm going to be looking for all of you -- especially that Dr. Sean -- I want to have a drink with him at a 포장마차 and get into a fight heheheeh puhahaha 한 번 해 보고 싶은 일이에요..체험으로

Oh, what a good news! I'm so excited.. :twisted:
I'm really looking forward to it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS:
One more thing...
not related to the topic though..

trutherous wrote:you know like Koreans who have the name 수미 (Soo-mi), which means "beautiful water" but in English the words 'sue me' have a humorous legal counterpart.

It's hard to believe someone gives his/her daughter a name as "水美" which means "wet beauty", not "beautiful water".
I'm sure her name was "秀美(outstanding beauty)" or "壽美(everlasting beauty)".

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 22nd, 2010 10:05 am

It's hard to believe someone gives his/her daughter a name as "水美" which means "wet beauty", not "beautiful water".
I'm sure her name was "秀美(outstanding beauty)" or "壽美(everlasting beauty)".

Right, most likely so -- but in English 'sue me' still means sue me (something like 나를 소송 해봐?) or (그렇다면) 마음대로 해봐 which was my point so,,, sue me,,, hehehehehe

난 단군의 곰 어머니 삼십 일 동안 만을 먹고 사람이 된 것처럼 26년 전에 30 일 동안 김치만 먹고서 속은 한국사람으로 바뀌었어요... 물론 유전자로 받은 몸은 백 퍼센트 백인이지만 지금 이 배달민족 마음은 너무 고집이 세 가지고 실수란 인정할 수 없어요 - 뭐 그 같은 이유로 나라가 계속 갈라지지 않아요? 아니 난 전생에 한국사람이었어요.. 어 그때 조선이라고 했지만 난 이순신 옆에서 싸우다가 적의 화살을 맞고 죽었어요.. 다음에 하느님 앞에서 다시 태어나면 아주 아주 큰 능력있는 아름다운 나라에서 태어나게 해 달라고 했기에 미국인으로 태어났어요. 어렸을 때 오인지 항상 동양의 대한 관심이 있었고 중국 무술을 배우기까지 했는대 21살 때 김치 맛을 보고 전생을 다 기억한 거에요. 그런대 나 보고 반두시 '그럼 왜 말 실력이 그대로 엉터리 냐'고 묻겠는데, 아 예, 그건 단지 어렸을 때 영어를 배우고 영어로만 이야기 했기 때문이어요.. 어 그리고 지난 번에 죽었을 때 나는 글을 못 배운 상놈이었거든요. ..그리고 나는 거짓말을 절대로 안 해요..ㅋㅋ 나는 왜 시비를 걸까? 싸울래? :wink:

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » September 22nd, 2010 10:34 am

trutherous wrote:나는 단군의 곰 어머니가 백 일 동안 마늘을 먹고 사람이 된 것처럼, 26년 전에 30일 동안 김치만 먹고서 속이 한국사람으로 바뀌었어요... 물론 유전자로 받은 몸은 백 퍼센트 백인이지만 지금 이 배달민족의 마음은 너무 고집이 세서 실수란 걸 인정할 수 없어요 - 뭐 그 같은 이유로 나라가 계속 갈라지지 않아요? 아니, 난 전생에 한국사람이었어요.. 어 그때는 조선이라고 했지만.. 난 이순신 옆에서 싸우다가 적의 화살을 맞고 죽었어요.. 다음에 하느님 앞에서 다시 태어나면 아주 아주 큰 능력있고 아름다운 나라에서 태어나게 해 달라고 했기에 미국인으로 태어났어요. 어렸을 때 왠지 항상 동양에 대한 관심이 있었고 중국 무술을 배우기까지 했는데 21살 때 김치 맛을 보고 전생을 다 기억한 거예요. 그런데 나를 보면 분명히 '그럼 왜 말 실력이 그렇게 엉터리냐'고 묻겠지만, 아 예, 그건 단지 어렸을 때 영어를 배우고 영어로만 이야기했기 때문이에요.. 어 그리고 지난 번 생에서 나는 글을 못 배운 상놈이었거든요. ..그리고 나는 거짓말은 절대로 안 해요..ㅋㅋ 나는 왜 시비를 걸까? 싸울래?

하하하하하..!!

You're the best, George.

ataraxyspace4812
New in Town

Postby ataraxyspace4812 » September 22nd, 2010 2:43 pm

Hello everyone! I'm back again after 2 days! Lol.. I can't help but was smiling when I was backtracking the earlier posts. I didn't know that the "Hangulizing" of my name Cammie led to so many interpretations. Hehheh... :-D

@ Tim: 중앙동? 몰라요. Can you please enlighten me? I was only in Ansan for about 5 months, which was rather short, IMO. I like the campus grounds of Hanyang University, as it is a totally different kind of campus from what we have here in Singapore. Did I mention I am from Singapore? :-P I missed the autumn in Korea! I missed the snow too! In my tropical country, these are things that I will never get to experience here! Speaking of Korea brings sweet memories. :-) I think there was a Homemart or something there - the hyper supermart. I liked to go there to get food with my friends.

@ George: You're an observant guy. Haha... I didn't know my "Hangul" name is so similar to the word ant. Sigh, I think I better keep to my English name. So much easier and nicer! Haha... Actually I have a Korean name when I was in Korea - 이젠 - the koreanization of my Chinese name in fact. Since I started working, I have been using the name Cammie for easier remembering. :-)

@ Sean: 반갑 습미다!

I feel so happy to meet many Koreans here! Now I can start revising my Korean once again!

Cammie

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » September 22nd, 2010 6:51 pm

HI again Cammie! :)

--Ah you are from Singapore! That's wonderful! I thought maybe you were from the USA because the name Cammie, and it's variant "Camille," is somewhat common among our Hispanic population. Now I am wondering if your name "Cammie" is based on a meaning other than the Latin? Anyway wow -I think it's excellent that you want to continue with Korean studies.

"이젠" -very interesting- I wonder what is the Chinese meaning?

Sorry but I just cannot resist writing this next sentence;
:D 이젠 이젠은 한국말을 많이 배웠으면 좋겠습니다. :D

I know how you feel about the land and climate of Korea. I even like the winter too. I may visit again this winter. I wanted to go next month and see the autumn leaves, but I have a pressing personal matter I should clear up before I leave the country again. Oh well -- Korean food is best in the cold of winter.

Keep up the great work on your Korean study. I know you will quickly far exceed me and other foreign students because people from Singapore usually are very good at learning foreign language. Plus your English is really terrific.

See you around, have a super great day!

나영훈 aka George :D

PS - KC101 is awesome isn't it? I've been to some Korean classes in my life but they were always very lacking in content and intensity. Of course practicing conversation with native speakers is best, but without study of something one has nothing to practice.

ataraxyspace4812
New in Town

Postby ataraxyspace4812 » September 23rd, 2010 1:31 am

Hello George again! :-)

My Chinese name actually means: happy for the 1st character, and precious for the 2nd character. I don't know when combined what it should mean... happy precious? precious happy?

I gave myself the name Cammie because I know most non-Chinese have difficulty with my Chinese name. It is also so much easier for people to remember especially in my workplace whereby I meet many people when I get involved in different projects.

Actually, even though like you say Singaporeans are good in foreign language, I think I do not fall into that talented group. My English was terrible - I don't think anyone will know I just barely scraped through my Cambridge examinations a decade ago. But I do find Korean words similar to Chinese and Chinese dialects sometimes. It does help that I know Chinese and some Chinese dialects. They helped me remember certain words much better. :-)

I like KC101 a lot! I think this is a wonderful online learning concept. I just hope I can maintain the discipline to go on learning at my own pace.

Are most users here from the USA? I hope to visit US one day. It seems too far, since it's on the other side of the globe. :-D

Friday's coming!

Have a nice day!

Cammie

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”