Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Handwriting Practice

trutherous
Expert on Something

Handwriting Practice

Postby trutherous » February 20th, 2010 4:12 pm

For additional handwriting practice I like to hand copy something out of a book at least once a week. I read a sentence at a time and then write it down by memory as fast as I can, then I check the accuracy and make corrections (which is why I write it in pencil). I'm disappointed that the look of my handwriting hasn't improved all that much over the years. I guess I'll never be 한석봉, but I'll keep working on it. Here is a recent practice that I thought was relevant for this website:

SeeingLifeAnew
Been Around a Bit

Postby SeeingLifeAnew » June 1st, 2010 7:59 pm

This is so cool, thank you for attaching the picture. I'm just at the stage where I'm learning basic stroke order and writing things like 안녕하세요 over and over, so I can't imagine myself writing like you. But it makes me excited to see it though and gives me another goal to shoot for! :D

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
Happypie
New in Town

Postby Happypie » June 1st, 2010 10:25 pm

I think your hand writing is great, its better than the native koreans I've seen write :P but don't tell them i said that :?

I'm the same as "seeinglifeAnew" although whenever I try to speed write it ends up all over the place!

timandyou
Expert on Something

WOW~~!

Postby timandyou » June 2nd, 2010 1:48 am

:wink:

Wow, George~~!!!
Very impressive work~~~!!
Yea, that's the way to studying new language...
Enjoy it, and have fun with it.
George... I do like you man~~~!!! 8)

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 2nd, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks for the compliments.

I've seen some very beautiful Korean handwriting -- unfortunately mine is not (not yet that is :) ). You know what they say though, "practice makes perfect." I still have a lot more practicing to do.

I've been around Korean language enough to know that Koreans also have a kind of 'cursive' script, sort of writing Hangul without hardly lifting the pen off the paper, but this style does not appear to be something that is formally taught in the way that English cursive style is taught. Korean 'cursive' is often written in haste, but some people have quite an artistic hand, either way it is usually hard for a foreign student of Korean to read. Heck - I have trouble reading my own Hangul writing sometimes.

A good handwriting practice is simply to hand copy something you are studying onto another sheet of paper.

Another method is to use children's books where there is usually a lot of space between the lines and write the story out directly underneath, syllable-by-syllable, word-by-word, as fast as you can. This will improve your writing because you are forced to write in a confined space (between the lines), but it is not such a good language practice because most people will just look and copy as if the words were hieroglyphics, rather than read and sound out as they go. Needless to say, the book is ruined.

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » June 2nd, 2010 8:13 am

SeeingLifeAnew 님 Korean is here!! :lol: :lol:

But I totally agree with you. This handwriting is much better than mine. :lol: 8)

George! You are the best! 대단하세요!

당신을 존경합니다. :wink:

"practice makes perfect"

jintana23
Been Around a Bit

Postby jintana23 » June 2nd, 2010 5:08 pm

wow!! trutherous, your handwriting is great and the story you shared is great, too!. Where did you get these methods?

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » June 2nd, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks Julia!! :D

jintana - thanks - I'm always using my imagination to devise new ways to study and learn. The story is from a book called Easy To Learn Korean book 5.

MelSymph
Been Around a Bit

Postby MelSymph » July 8th, 2010 4:26 am

Gah, I can't tell if my handwriting is good or not. I think it is clearer than my English, hahaha! I have trouble fitting things when it's over 3 letters, but I'm working on that.

I have a journal where I write my notes in, and since I have to write smaller it's harder for me to fit the letters. But it's roughly the same way for me in English. I'm taking Norwegian also, and sometimes writing Å can be difficult for me since I have to write the little o above the A.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » July 8th, 2010 6:29 am

HI MelSymph!

I know what you mean about fitting things in. There are some tall Korean syllables, but the funny thing is that this was not a problem with the original way Hangul was meant to be written, top to bottom, right to left.

julialim
KoreanClass101.com Team Member

Postby julialim » July 8th, 2010 7:30 am

:D Hello Everyone!

Sorry I just realized that Writing single syllable can be difficult and complicated for you guys, specially beginners. :roll: Sorry. 죄송해요.

I will suggest this to KC team. :wink:
Now What I am thinking is that at first I make something like a game related with how to write Hangul in order. (on Forum)

We will help you, MelSymph. and all of other listeners who have same problems.
화이팅!

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”