Start Learning Korean in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

name in korean

dewnyc
Been Around a Bit

Postby dewnyc » March 8th, 2008 7:24 pm

manyakumi wrote:I think that name, 영인 is good for both male and female person's name.

I was curious, and did a search for that name to see if it is common, or if there is anyone with that name who is well-known. I didn't find much, but with the words reversed, there is the singer Suh In Young (서인영), who has made some news, not of all of it good (though still entertaining :) )
Here is a picture of her Maxim cover, and there are much racier ones of her out there
http://koreanster.com/gallery/files/7/n ... 4061_2.jpg

Back to subject of names, are there many names in Korean that are used for both males and females?
Names in English I've seen used that way include Jackie, Stacy, and Tracy.
Makes me think a bit of the Korean drama Coffee Prince, where Ko Eun-Chan was able to make everyone believe she was a guy, before it was later revealed that she was really a girl. :)

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » March 9th, 2008 3:15 am

dewnyc wrote:I was curious, and did a search for that name to see if it is common, or if there is anyone with that name who is well-known. I didn't find much, but with the words reversed, there is the singer Suh In Young (서인영), who has made some news, not of all of it good (though still entertaining :) )

Back to subject of names, are there many names in Korean that are used for both males and females?
Names in English I've seen used that way include Jackie, Stacy, and Tracy.
Makes me think a bit of the Korean drama Coffee Prince, where Ko Eun-Chan was able to make everyone believe she was a guy, before it was later revealed that she was really a girl. :)

You're right. :)
There are so many names that could be used for both males and females.
지수, 세진, 진영, 신영, 하늘, 정원, 유민, 정민, 현진, 수현, 성민, 수빈 and so on...

That name you've mentioned 인영 sounds little bit more closer to female's.
And there are two celebrities who have the name 인영 and they are 서인영 and 유인영.
유인영 is an actress who have made her debut on TV-CF.
영인 is not used very often but sounds natural.
But 고은찬 is a guy's name absolutely, I think.

There's a sort of superstition about these guy-like names in Korea.
In tradition, Korean people prefer to have sons extremely.
When they became getting two daughters, they used to give a guy's name to the last one and believe that it could bring a son next time.
So if you ask a woman aged 30's or more in Korea who has a guy's name, you surely would be heard from her that she is a second daughter in her family.

:wink:

Get 40% OFF
rooraa
Expert on Something

Postby rooraa » May 10th, 2008 1:51 am

manyakumi wrote:
There's a sort of superstition about these guy-like names in Korea.
In tradition, Korean people prefer to have sons extremely.
When they became getting two daughters, they used to give a guy's name to the last one and believe that it could bring a son next time.
So if you ask a woman aged 30's or more in Korea who has a guy's name, you surely would be heard from her that she is a second daughter in her family.

:wink:

that's so interesting! =]

My friends, Allyson and Breanna just got into Korean culture (well mainly, 동방신기) but how would you write their name in korean? Here's the best I could do: 브리안나 and 아리선

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 10th, 2008 3:41 am

I've seen that even in Western culture. I've known women named Glenna, Dale, etc...they were the product of parents that had been expecting a boy.

I have a lot of problems understanding the gender of Korean names - I guess you just have to get used to them.

I have a friend here named Insook (인숙?) (female). I think that's a beautiful name.

Which reminds me...when I was in high school language classes, they used to assign us names that were commonly used in that language. So, my Spanish name was Gabriela, my French name was Geneviève, and my Latin name was Pandora 8)

Don't suppose we could all get Korean names...? I know, that probably strikes Koreans as being weird. But I can't help but wonder what Korean name I'd have if I could :D
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 11th, 2008 2:13 pm

wow! in high school my spanish name was gabriela and my french name was genevieve! i didn't take latin though...

Bouks
Expert on Something

Postby Bouks » May 11th, 2008 3:53 pm

Wow, holdfast...that is very scary! You know what else...I'm preparing to go back to school and get a teaching certificate! Are we the same person? :shock:
On Skype, I'm nenuphar_ (just like that with the underline character ending)

I invite you to check out my new blog about linguistics, translation and culture:
www.shadesofmeaning.wordpress.com

holdfast
Expert on Something

Postby holdfast » May 11th, 2008 7:09 pm

i was starting to wonder that!
however, i'm not sure if i'll be going back to school or not. i'm 24 and have never been to college, and i'm just not sure if i have time to take out to do it! we'll see..

Biola
New in Town

Postby Biola » June 16th, 2008 3:18 am

I tried using a online translator to translate the meaning of my name(born into god) into Korean. I got 신으로 품는 is that right?
Is that too long?

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 16th, 2008 9:46 am

Biola wrote:I tried using a online translator to translate the meaning of my name(born into god) into Korean. I got 신으로 품는 is that right?
Is that too long?

If you are trying to make a korean name, 신으로 품는 is so weird.
It sounds like a traditional indian name such as 늑대와 춤을(dancing with wolves). hehe

a better way to make a name including such meanings is to use hanja characters.
for example,

성희(聖姬) : holy lady
신혜(神惠) : god bless

Directly translate "born into god" into hanja, it would be 신출(神出) or 신회(神懷).
but they are little bit weird for a lady's name.

:D

sierras3
Been Around a Bit

Postby sierras3 » June 17th, 2008 6:16 pm

I've got a really odd name after translation... my Chinese name is 唐坚仪 (tang jian yi) and after translation on Wiktionary, it turned out as 당견의 :shock: Is this even a name a Korean would name his child?

And this is why I stick to writing my English name, Sierra, in 한글... 시에라... :lol:

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 18th, 2008 4:00 am

I can guess that situation.

You : My name is 당견의.
Korean : Huh?
You : I'm a chinese.
Korean : Oh, i see.

Koreans might not distinguish whether that name is for male or female.
and of course they won't think it's a Korean name.

but, i think it's fine because you are a chinese.

sierras3
Been Around a Bit

Postby sierras3 » June 19th, 2008 11:35 am

Ermm... I dun wanna introduce myself as Tang Gyeon-Ui... hahahaha.... :lol:

People would roll over in laughter... hehehehe!

Anyone heard of Tim, the Korean singer? His Korean name is Hwang Young Min... which sounds very Chinese...

manyakumi
Expert on Something

Postby manyakumi » June 19th, 2008 1:24 pm

sierras3 wrote:Anyone heard of Tim, the Korean singer? His Korean name is Hwang Young Min... which sounds very Chinese...

Hwang Young Min sounds very Korean either. :wink:

nassazikauthar_228607
New in Town

Re: my name

Postby nassazikauthar_228607 » February 5th, 2016 7:25 am

Hi guys,
I would also like to know my name which is koreanised. My name is kauthar. Please romanize after because my phone can't read hangul.
Thank you.

community.korean
Expert on Something

Re: name in korean

Postby community.korean » February 8th, 2016 9:47 am

Hi Kauthar,

Thanks for posting. The name 'Kauthar' would be written in Korean as '카우타르' (ka-u-ta-reu).

Cheers,
Lyn
Team KoreanClass101.com

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”