a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

translation practice #14 (21 Oct 2007)

daideqi
New in Town

Late to the translation party...

Postby daideqi » May 22nd, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi All,

All the writing is supposedly coming from the pretty lady with the megaphone and she's saying

You there lady with the loud voice ~ (I tend to translate more liberally so that the target audience gets the idea rather than translate literally)
You there gentleman holding the puppy ~
You there students pretending to be asleep ~
You there sir taking up the (whole row of) seats ~
Please think about other people a little.

?Hand phones on vibrate for others on the subway?/Phone calls quiet quietly/Group talks in a hushed whisper (literally whisper whisper)
Fold newspaper and read/Sit with your legs in/Give up seats for the elderly, handicapped, or pregnant women

Not sure about the bottom...something like
If [we] do this together, [we'll have] pleasant trains of etiquette
Done together by [This ad sponsdered by?] 5678 Seoul City Rail and Yahoo!

Regards,
Daideqi (Tae To'k-ki)

There's much more implied in Korean than in English, particularly in zippy 공익 (public service) campaign posters like this.

trutherous
Expert on Something

Postby trutherous » May 23rd, 2011 2:16 am

hyunwoo
Expert on Something

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2007 03:04 GMT

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2007 03:04 GMT

SIGH!

daideqi -- you are great!! your translation is perfect

I still don't understand the significance of "holding the puppy' though -- must be a cultural thing

Note the date on the original post?? KC101 has been practically dead lately and numerous other 'learn Korean' online sites are all but abandoned -- it seems learning Korean was a fad that grew considerably in proportion to the popularity of kpop and kdrama -- I guess only so many fans of kpop and kdrama really stick with learning for the long run.

The SERIOUS students of this wonderful language of this small, yet amazing country are actually very few

and seeing how many months it has been since there has been truly new content or any advanced content I would say take what you can FOR FREE and RUN with it

I bought the 2- year premium subscription expecting that there would be continuing, updated, and NEW advanced content and now I think it was a mistake - 네.. 바가지 썼구먼 말이다.. less than halfway into my premium subscription the advanced content ceased after Tim's blog -- and now I see most of the other content is being regurgitated.

It's really frustrating

waiting

waiting

hint

hint

Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS
daideqi
New in Town

Thanks trutherous...

Postby daideqi » May 24th, 2011 10:42 pm

Hi Trutherous,

Thanks for the kind words on my translation. My passive Korean skills (reading and listening) are much better than my active ones (speaking and writing), and I do like translating.

Anyway, yeah, I did notice that some of the material's dated, but I figured I'd give KC101 a go. So far, so good, but there are, as you indicate, some pretty decent free sites. Monash used to be the best, but they took it down. Sogang has a pretty decent site.

I'm tired, so I'll catch you later.

Regards,
Daideqi

Return to “Practice your Korean (한국어 연습하기)”